2x4 China Cabinet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2x4 China Cabinet

I took a break from the lathe and built this china cabinet for my Nephew.It is made entirely from 2x4's.
    beachburl and MartyFromKingston like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: 2x4 China Cabinet

Nicely done. Where the neck do you buy your 2x4's? I spent a 1/2 hour at Lowes picking through 2 lifts just to get 4 straight pieces the other day. Crooked, twisted, cracked, knotty, damaged seemed to be the norm.
    woodguy7 likes this.
    Cheers
    Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post
      Nicely done. Where the neck do you buy your 2x4's? I spent a 1/2 hour at Lowes picking through 2 lifts just to get 4 straight pieces the other day. Crooked, twisted, cracked, knotty, damaged seemed to be the norm.
      Well, a lot of cutting ,planing and sizing to get something to work with ,then letting them stand over the furnace register to dry,then more planing to final pieces I could glue up.Home Depot here seems to have some not to bad ones to pick through.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post
        I buy my dimensional lumber at Home Hardware or Totem, much better than Lowes or HD
        If you want to use it for furniture sticker it and use ratchet straps to hold it straight and let it dry for a while.
        Nice job on the Cabinet. Essentially made from Pine.
        woodguy7 likes this.
        • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	1114235
          Originally posted by redlee View Post

I buy my dimensional lumber at Home Hardware or Totem, much better than Lowes or HD
          If you want to use it for furniture sticker it and use ratchet straps to hold it straight and let it dry for a while.
          Nice job on the Cabinet. Essentially made from Pine.
          I do he same. But there has been time that I need dimensional lumber for other means that structural. last spring, I hat to build about 30 outdoor table/seat structures. Weird situation for a fish and chips restaurant on a floating dock. Had to be used as a fence also. Anyway, I came up with this and of course, they need it yesterday. Home depot was the only place I could find suitable lumber, dry enough and straight enough to allow for immediate building, staining and finishing. The big plus was that in early spring, after our rainy season here on the island, their lumber was the driest I could find
          Last edited by eilliac; 04-20-2017, 08:57 PM.
          beachburl and woodguy7 like this.
          Chris
          I only excel at fixing my my goof ups

Comment

Rob,

Nice design and execution. I'm wondering however what the advantages were to selecting such narrow material (width, not thickness...) to build would is usually made with wider material more suitable to such construction. Surely all that extra time spent jointing, planing, drying, resurfacing, glueing up moved that inexpensive construction material into the expensive realm of traditional, wider cabinet lumber? When I first saw the title of the post, I was thinking that it must have been used to satisfy the requirements of some sort of competition, rather than being the matrial of choice.

Regardless, though, as mentioned at the outset of my post, the piece looks very nice, so congrats to you! Next time, try to do your casework pieces in cherry then let us know if you missed the extra work you went through with this one...
            woodguy7 likes this.
            All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans (formerly Kingston Woodworkers Ass'n) Website: https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/
            & member of the Kingston Woodturners Association

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by MartyFromKingston View Post
              Rob,

Nice design and execution. I'm wondering however what the advantages were to selecting such narrow material (width, not thickness...) to build would is usually made with wider material more suitable to such construction. Surely all that extra time spent jointing, planing, drying, resurfacing, glueing up moved that inexpensive construction material into the expensive realm of traditional, wider cabinet lumber? When I first saw the title of the post, I was thinking that it must have been used to satisfy the requirements of some sort of competition, rather than being the matrial of choice.

Regardless, though, as mentioned at the outset of my post, the piece looks very nice, so congrats to you! Next time, try to do your casework pieces in cherry then let us know if you missed the extra work you went through with this one...
              A bunch of reasons why.I have no way of ripping anything wider than a 2x4.Buying wider stock of any solid wood other than spruce, more expensive than 2x4's.Being on a budget of cheapest.My time is on retirement time,so not an issue in determining an overall cost for building something for a family member .
              But I would and have used other materials on other projects and would have loved making this in Cherry,maybe another time.Hope that helps to explain my choices here.

Comment

Working...
              X