Grow/green house

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Grow/green house

Looks fantastic Lisa!! That 50'C is a bit worrying. The reading that I've done says that between 20'C (night) and 35'C (day) is optimum growing temp for most veggies. I had to put a fan in the doorway of mine to keep it cool.

I bought two dozen 20L pails this summer and in the fall I'm filling them with water (and a stick in them for little mammals to escape from drowning) so that at night they'll keep- the temp up.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I have auto vents for the windows above the doors but they can't be left out for the winter so I did not install them yet.
      When someone tells you it can't be done, it's a reflection of their limitations, not yours.

Comment

Great project Lisa!

I have selected this thread as our latest Best Build for the magazine. Lisa has been sent a planter and tiller set from Lee Valley.

Thanks for sharing this with us Lisa.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Brown View Post
          Great project Lisa!

I have selected this thread as our latest Best Build for the magazine. Lisa has been sent a planter and tiller set from Lee Valley.

Thanks for sharing this with us Lisa.

Comment

Thanks for selecting this project. It has been on my "to-do" list for years!
            When someone tells you it can't be done, it's a reflection of their limitations, not yours.

Comment

I had missed this thread (life gets busy at times) and saw it in the CWW magazine. Great job Lisa!
              Remember, we are here to share, learn, and enjoy. Relax.

Comment

Ya, late to the party! Way to go Lisa! Congrats.
                Donna,
                Self Imposed Queen of Design Opportunities

Comment

So I was complaining to my green house guru that I was loosing too much heat at night. He recommended stacking concrete blocks along the back wall and maybe another layer of plastic inside the greenhouse....

so I have a zillion rocks, no blocks...I got some lattice and screwed it to the back wall bottom plate and wall studs. I am filling the cavity with the zillion rocks we dug out of the green house hole...I will let you know tomorrow how it effected the over night temp...

was between -5C and -10C here last night...-1 in the green house...peppers are toast but tomatoes still ok...radishes are fine.

Comment

It might take a few days for the rocks to heat up.

The rocks might be denser than concrete & hold more heat?
                    Egon
                    from
                    The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Originally posted by Chimera View Post
                      was between -5C and -10C here last night...-1 in the green house...peppers are toast but tomatoes still ok...radishes are fine.
                      That's pretty good Lisa. When it's -5 outside at my place, it's -5 in my greenhouse. I put a bunch of 20L pails of water in mine and positioned them around the fruits I want to save. That worked for the peppers and tomatoes until it got colder. Any form of heatsink will help, but a double layer of plastic will make the best difference. A single layer has zero insulating value.

Comment

There are some cold weather crops to keep in mind for next fall. Spinach, lettuce, chard and especially peas like the cooler temps as I'm sure you already know. My fall planting (in the garden) of peas is just putting out blossoms now, hopefully we'll get a few pickings before a killing frost.

Comment

Here is the view of the rocks before the plastic went on...16 ft x 4 ft x 5.5 inches of rock... it doesn't look like much but it was 4 hours of rock picking, and placing with my trusty little wagon...they really didn't get a chance to heat up yesterday and plastic is going on today so I will have to wait until Monday night to get a clear picture of how much this helps retain the heat at night.

Click image for larger version  Name:	r1JPG.JPG Views:	1 Size:	266.2 KB ID:	1143093

Comment

Good work Lisa! Any heat sink helps.

cheers

Comment

Working...
                            X