Dining Table Build Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dining Table Build Thread

So it starts. I only have three weeks to get this done. Iíll sure give it a good try. My wife told me I donít have to stress myself out over it, whew!

The design thread is here: https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...ng-table-plans

I have a lot of cherry so Iím going to make the painted base with it. Mostly laminated boards.

Here are the majority of the pieces.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8C555104-0121-4053-AE50-162496B8E9FA.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	3.43 MB
ID:	1159329

Iím using my CNC to make the router template for the feet.

Name:	0FAC2766-E585-40EA-B009-7587564C1780.jpeg
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	1159330
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Dining Table Build Thread

Ready, set, Go! We're pulling for you, Peter.

...ken...

Comment

Completely unrelated... Wow, I just happened to notice our Join Dates ... no idea why. We're rapidly coming up on our 12th anniversary hanging out here!

...ken...

Comment

When you paint that Cherry even the trees in the forest will be crying!
        dan likes this.
        "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
          When you paint that Cherry even the trees in the forest will be crying!
          LOL. It hurts but I wanted something good and sturdy for the base.

Comment

Feet are starting to take shape, literally

Click image for larger version  Name:	EC1D50C2-551E-462B-AC22-33FE07873823.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	3.20 MB ID:	1159524

Click image for larger version  Name:	A6EDDCFF-4BE0-4D47-BCCA-BD77EEBE775B.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.92 MB ID:	1159523

Click image for larger version  Name:	96E7D382-735C-4438-83CB-A810EC6ED32E.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.69 MB ID:	1159522

Comment

Originally posted by Ken in Regina View Post
              Completely unrelated... Wow, I just happened to notice our Join Dates ... no idea why. We're rapidly coming up on our 12th anniversary hanging out here!

...ken...
              Good observation. Thatís a long time. Iíve learned a lot from some great people on this forum ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Peter in Maple Ridge View Post

Good observation. Thatís a long time. Iíve learned a lot from some great people on this forum ;)
                We are all dated then even if we were here before that. I've been here since /99 along with a few others and it won't say that. The whole forum was lost a few times. Ken -- I think that you might have been here before that 2006 date also.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post

We are all dated then even if we were here before that. I've been here since /99 along with a few others and it won't say that. The whole forum was lost a few times. Ken -- I think that you might have been here before that 2006 date also.
                  I think you're right, Wally. I recall the forum losses now that you mention them. Good catch.

​​​​​​...ken...

Comment

Originally posted by Ken in Regina View Post

I think you're right, Wally. I recall the forum losses now that you mention them. Good catch.

​​​​​​...ken...
                    I was here as "Randy in Dartmouth" around 2000 or so. Switched to "Randy in Calgary" in 2005 after moving to, you guessed it, Calgary.

Cheers
                    Randy

Comment

Hi Peter,
                      what is the brand name of your CNC router, size, gantry, cost, is it a good machine.
                      Thanks
                      Woodyboy

Comment

Originally posted by Woodyboy View Post
                        Hi Peter,
                        what is the brand name of your CNC router, size, gantry, cost, is it a good machine.
                        Thanks
                        Itís a CNC Router Parts Machine, 24Ē x 24Ē with a 3 1/4 hp PC router connected to a SuperPID. I bought the router used out of Ottawa but brand new it would be around $8000 CAD, maybe more depending on exchange.

older version of this http://www.cncrouterparts.com/bencht...kit-p-314.html

its an excellent machine and worked great out of the box (even used!). None of the fiddling with tightening belts etc as documented on the xcarve and shapeoko.

wish I had more room for a larger machine (4x8).

Comment

Hi Peter,
                          thanks for the info, I am working with one from Techno-Isel, 49x59, 14" gantry, I use it at work, not mine, I do pattern-making with it. I am planning on buying a desktop unit 24x30 or 36, I'm planning on retiring within 18 months. So I am checking for one. Thanks
                          Woodyboy

Comment

Glued up a foot and tried using my vacuum bag. It worked ok but I did my second one with clamps.

Click image for larger version  Name:	705691CD-F5B8-4385-9DD7-EA2DC5A3648B.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.56 MB ID:	1160915

Then it it was time to mill and glue up the pieces to make the larger parts of the table legs.

Name:	image_114338.jpg
Size:	3.21 MB
ID:	1160916

Click image for larger version  Name:	A5A9DC1A-3637-400A-B05A-5B711B51C0CA.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.67 MB ID:	1160914

And gluing up the up the top of the foot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F284D855-39DD-48AB-9D1D-F8F8363D8F8C.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.02 MB ID:	1160917

Next Iíll dimension the parts to final length, start cutting some angles on them and dry fitting everything.

my plan is to spray finish with white wb lacquer then glue together with large dominos.
                            Last edited by Peter in Maple Ridge; 01-20-2018, 09:42 PM.

Comment

I made the top part of the foot a little proud and used a plane to get it just right!

Name:	6DCCC522-7EEE-4311-9FAE-BA8E87CE6F49.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	3.03 MB
ID:	1161143

The foot looks pretty close to my Sketchup model wouldnít you say?

Name:	440408BA-5278-41A2-BDB7-A4CA60631480.jpeg
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	1161142Click image for larger version

Name:	21D011ED-3568-486E-828A-9BECB186728E.jpeg
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1161140

I lost 3/8Ē of height due to stupidity but Iíll make that up on the Centre leg.

Tomorow I will cut the other parts to final dimensions and start the angled cuts. I think itís best if I use my bandsaw for the angled cuts.

Hopefully I will get to a dry fit of the leg assembly tomorrow.

Cheers,
                              Peter
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X