Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cedar Strip Canoe Build...

Hey Folks,

I am going to try and document a cedar strip canoe build here.

Try.

—————

A buddy of mine invited me to be part of a group cedar-strip canoe building project that he is organizing at our church. We are meeting every Saturday morning until it is complete. The goal is to build fellowship as we build the canoe. As well we will be hopefully giving some skills and a sense of accomplishment to some folks who have never done anything like this before. There are three or four of us who are skilled woodworkers (though only my buddy has build a canoe before) and the rest will just be regular folks.

We are following the plans and techniques in Ted Moores book “Canoecraft”

I don’t know how often I’ll remember to bring a camera, and remember to stop to take photos, but hopefully every week!

Today (Jan 25) was our second official build day.

Our first meeting was just 3 of us where we made plans, and ripped up some plywood for the strong back.

Last week week was our first official public build day (there was a guy there snapping photos which I am trying to get). On that day we built the strong back, and laminated the pieces for the inner and outer stem. The inner stem is pine, the outer is cherry. And we ripped up some Western Red Cedar into strips.

Here is the workshop we are using at our church. It is about 20ft on a side, with 10ft ceilings. It is also used by our Cadet boys club during the week, so we need to pack things away when not in use. The strong back is shown down the middle of the shop, with most of the canoe forms fastened into place. On the wall in the background are two large brackets where all the 18ft cedar strips are sitting. At the end of the day, the strong back will be carefully lifted up to rest on those brackets also, to clear room in the shop.

Closeup of the wall brackets and cedar strips. (sixty or seventy of them…)

It was a cold day today (-10c with a snow and wind also, brrrr.) But we had to set up the router table outside. We are processing 18ft cedar strips which means you need at least 36ft of space to run them through the router table. So we had to work outside. (Last week we were also outside ripping the strips on a table saw.) Hopefully this will be the last outdoor work for a while!

Closeup of the rough and ready router table. There are TWO routers in there both with cove and bead bits mounted. The first router (on the right) is milling the cove. The second router (on the left and behind that pile of chips) is milling the bead. There are five feather boards keeping things tight. Since it was just built out of plywood, once things were in position we just popped in several screws to hold everything in place.

Look closely. He is PULLING the cedar through the router table! With 5 feather boards, it was tough work moving the cedar through!

Yours truly bundled up and feeding the cedar into the routers

Here the forms are now complete on the strong back with the addition of the stem forms.
    One of the pine inner stems is in the foreground.

Here are the two cherry outer stems on the bench. They look kind of rough right now, covered in glue drips and the like, but they will be planed and sanded and made smooth later. In the foreground are a stack of scrap plywood that will be used when we start clamping the cedar strips into place. My buddy is planning on using the clamped (or staple-less) method to build the canoe, so we will NOT have a whole bunch of staple holes left on the canoe.

On of the stem (bow/stern) forms, showing how the pine inner stem fits into place. It will need to be shaped to a V-shape so that the cedar strips fit snug.

And that is it for today.
    It's not about you.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Cedar Strip Canoe Build...

Please don't forget to bring the camera then. I think this will be one interesting thread. I'll be watching. Thanks for documenting it in advance.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
    Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Very cool Art. I don't think it looks like you guys will need it (Ted's book is very good) but I've done a bunch of these back in the day so if you run in to any problems I might be able help. I see you are going stapeless that will add some time!

I swore I would never strip out another boat, but I too am setting up the molds to do it again (this will be my last, my wife says so) I'm building a Cosine Wherry with a bunch of modifications. I wish I had a group to help! It's great to see kid's helping out.
      When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Matt View Post
        Please don't forget to bring the camera then. I think this will be one interesting thread. I'll be watching. Thanks for documenting it in advance.
        Ditto. I look forward to this one.
        Daniel
        Edmonton

Comment

Just wanted to say that I really appreciate seeing this thread, and will be an avid reader if you keep to the journal format. I have been mulling over doing one myself, I think it won't be for another year at least, but insight into an example is a great supplement to the book.

Comment

This is the build of the year for moi! This is a project Ive dreamed of doing but to be honest found very intimidating to say the least.

If you could I would like to see the strips up close showing the profile.

Cant wait for more...
            Yeah its cold...Yeah we got snow...But we like it that way!

Comment

For those who aren't familiar with the Cosine Wherry that Ted plans to build, the link will show you the end result, a truly beautiful craft. It is basically built the same way as a cedar strip canoe, glue up on a form and then glassed. Looking forward to some pics Ted, the pressure is on. Click on the pics for more photos.

https://www.woodenboat.com/cosine-wherry

Comment

Originally posted by musky_xl View Post
                This is the build of the year for moi! This is a project Ive dreamed of doing but to be honest found very intimidating to say the least.

If you could I would like to see the strips up close showing the profile.

Cant wait for more...

Lee Valley sells the proper router profile bits

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,46168,46174

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
                  For those who aren't familiar with the Cosine Wherry that Ted plans to build, the link will show you the end result, a truly beautiful craft. It is basically built the same way as a cedar strip canoe, glue up on a form and then glassed. Looking forward to some pics Ted, the pressure is on. Click on the pics for more photos.

https://www.woodenboat.com/cosine-wherry
                  Thanks for that Stephen! I'll try to remember to take pictures. I have spent the last couple of years looking at plans (and drawing some) I want to row more and my present pulling boat is OK but I wanted something better. I was going to build something called a Handlinner which is a double ended traditional West Coast boat, but a builder who has built and rowed both really liked the Cosine. It's too short as drawn at 14',the hull speed would be pretty low so I'm lofting it up a couple of feet, and really trying to build it light, keep it under 100 pounds. It is a pretty boat a modern take on a Whitehall.

As for strip building don't think you can't do it, it's actually very easy, Epoxy can fill most mistakes. The worst thing that happens to most new builders is their boats are a little heavy!
                  The knock against it of course is that it takes a long time, especially if you do as Art and the crew are doing and going staple less. Makes for a blemish free pretty canoe but I don't I would have the patience to do it again, plus I going to be painting most of the hull and part of the interior for durability.
                  Last edited by hoss10; 01-25-2014, 06:44 PM.
                  When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Comment

Nice set up idea with two routers cutting the cove and bead at the same time. (well not exactly the same time but pretty close)

Comment

Great thread, looking forward to the postings Art.

Robert.
                      If you can't grow it, catch it, or build it, what makes you think you need it?

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
                        Lee Valley sells the proper router profile bits

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,46168,46174

Interesting, I didn't know about those. We're using the "two-in-one" bit: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...168,46174&ap=1
                        It's not about you.

Comment

If anyone has ever contemplated building a strip canoe I say just go for it, it's really not all that difficult.
                          I built this one back in 1987, first time ever working with glass and epoxy, and of course a first for building a strip canoe as well. The finished canoe came in at 62 lbs.
                          This is a Micmac with the low profile stem and stern at a length of 17' 2" and handles very well. I also built it with out the staples which is more work but produces a much nicer boat.

Art, I can't wait to see the end result of your build and this thread will bring back lots of memories.
                          John
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by John-in-Abbotsford; 01-25-2014, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Photos from Jan 18 (First day of the group build)

Team one was working on the stems.

Here is one of the canoe stem forms. The inner and outer stem pieces are being glued (laminated) into shape around the form with lots of clamps. The inner stem is pine, the outer is cherry. There are three (or four?) pieces in each. We glue them both at the same time. There is packing tape between the inner and outer stems, so we don’t inadvertently glue them together.

Team two was working on the strongback. Yours truly was in charge of that team. Here we are already done the build. (Sorry, no progress shots.) This is a pretty elegant design from the “Canoecraft” book. This is built from two sheets of plywood, to make a 16 foot long strongback. Two pieces are ripped at 12” to make the top. Five pieces are ripped at 8” to provide the sides. (There are four outer sides, and one piece is ripped in half and used to build the bridge section to connect the two 8ft sections together. This is made clear in the book.) Then a bunch more are ripped into (roughly) 8x8 pieces to make the inner ribs — the whole strongback is like a torsion box, though without a bottom. And the remaining scrap is enough to provide pieces to build the legs.

Team three was stuck outside as that was the only way they’d have enough room to rip the 18ft cedar boards into strips.

It was a pretty mediocre portable table saw, so they had to work hard to make sure that they were getting nice consistent thin strips out of the procedure.

Here I am as we are starting to fasten the forms onto the strongback. There is a form piece set every 12” down the length of the strongback. You start in the middle with form #0 and work out from there. This is a symmetric design, so after #0, all the other forms come in identical pairs. So it would look like 6-5-4-3-2-1-0-1-2-3-4-5-6 from one end to the other.

An overview of the shop from one corner. We have the 3,2,1,0 forms in place and are working on the #4 forms in this photo.

And a photo from the opposite corner. We’re now setting the pair of #5 forms onto the strongback. On the right-hand bench you can see one set of stems clamped and drying.

That was pretty much it for day one. We could not add any more forms onto the strongback as the ends were being used to form the stems.
                            It's not about you.

Comment

Does everybody wear those wool toques in the house in London. LOL

Beats the hell out of Callee's scarf.
                              "Do it Right!"

Comment

Working...
                              X