Shop Build Thread: New 1,850 Sq. Ft. Facility

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Shop Build Thread: New 1,850 Sq. Ft. Facility

I haven't looked at this thread for a long time, Igor.
    Wow. What a transformation from the initial set-back.
    Total congratulations.

Noel
    "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
    'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
    "
    John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Wow, Igor, congrats on getting the heating sorted out. Thanks again for getting me sorted with the cherry lumber. It was a great pleasure to meet you and see your shop. Good luck with your newest commission. I'm sure that with your energy and motivation you will be very successful.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Andre, it's great to hear again from you. I'm glad to hear that your enjoyed our meetup! I hope the cherry lumber works well for you.

Noel, I've been told that "a lesson learned the hard way is still a lesson learned". It took much more time and effort than I would have liked, but the shop is pretty much operational. I'll have some photos of the DC setup and shop in order likely by this weekend. A lot depends on how much I can finish this week!

Thanks Brent; a few guys on this forum highly recommended in floor hydronic heating for the shop first floor, and I am really glad I went that route. It will take time to get it all operational (I only installed phase 1 of 2, the second phase being hot water radiators on the second floor).
        I believe in the "good old days"

"Peace is not absence of conflict, it is the ability to handle conflict by peaceful means." - Ronald Reagan

Comment

Igor, when I picked up some cherry lumber last month, I had not read up on the trials and tribulations you have experienced on your workshop build. Due to a recent flu episode I was able to read your workshop thread in its entirety, much congrats on your perseverance and the wealth of knowledge you have accumulated on your build.The finish line is in sight and in 20 years or so when the little Igors are creating mounds of sawdust in dads shop, it will be nothing but good memories.Hope to chat with you at Rustfest.

Comment

Hey guys, as usual, things take longer for me than planned, but that's OK. I learn so much as I move along with projects, that it makes it all worthwhile.

Here are some pics I took of the outdoor dust collector. To give you guys a good idea of the size of this setup, the overall height from ground is about 20 feet, and the base is 8ft square.

I still need to finish some sealing and gasket work around the in/outlet pipes, and install the large dia. flex pipe connection between the DC cone and the large black chip bin. Once that is done, all that will be left to complete is the interior pipe works. The last photo shows the roughed-in intake and the cut-out for the air return back into the building.

I have completed all of the electrical work, and test ran the DC last week. Works great! It is the only place in my shop where 600v 3ph exits the building, so I had to install special water-tight electrical boxes on both sides of the wall, connected with a 1 1/4" ID electrical conduit. All wire runs are 1KV rated teck cable with teck connectors for weatherproof seal.

The delay I've experienced building the DC system has to do with a couple of machinery projects I've been trying to complete. So far, I've been able to finish rebuilding my Italian Sicar shaper, which was a huge boost to me, and finally started on a wide belt sander teardown I was postponing. I'll post some pics of that process as well.

Hope you guys enjoyed this update!

More to come soon!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	004 (450x800).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	1167047

Name:	005 (450x800).jpg
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	1167048

Name:	006 (450x800).jpg
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	1167049

Name:	007 (450x800).jpg
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	1167050

Name:	012 (450x800).jpg
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1167051

"Peace is not absence of conflict, it is the ability to handle conflict by peaceful means." - Ronald Reagan

Comment

Here are some pics of the Dewalt GA 14" RAS setup I am working on at the moment. Getting it all ready for DC connection and final tune-in. This saw is the more special long-arm version, which can crosscut 24" wide at 1" thick. Normally, these saws only came with the regular arm that could only cut 16". The extra capacity of my saw comes in handy for panels and furniture parts. The 22 foot long tables also help support stock!

Name:	013 (800x450).jpg
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	1167054

Name:	041 (800x450).jpg
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	1167055

Name:	042 (800x450).jpg
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	1167056

Comment

Here are some pics of the shaper rebuild (motor burned out, so I had to do a complete swap). Ended up having to drill and tap the end of the motor shaft on the new motor to allow for the special retaining bolt for the stepped pulley. Worked out great! I'm really thrilled with the results. Shaper works like new. The old motor was inspected by a retired electrician friend of mine, who said it's not worth repairing for the cost of a new one. Ah well!

Name:	012 (450x800).jpg
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	1167060

Name:	013 (450x800).jpg
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	1167061

Name:	018 (450x800).jpg
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	1167062

Name:	023 (450x800).jpg
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	1167063

Name:	029 (450x800).jpg
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	1167064

Name:	030 (450x800).jpg
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	1167065

Name:	031 (450x800).jpg
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	1167066

Name:	032 (450x800).jpg
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	1167067

Name:	033 (800x450).jpg
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	1167068

And a final shot of everything up and running... Spindle fwd/rev on the fly, very smooth and quiet machine. 5hp 600v 3ph, feeder is 1hp 600v.

Name:	035 (450x800).jpg
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	1167069

Name:	036 (450x800).jpg
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	1167070

Comment

Originally posted by billsm View Post
                  Igor, when I picked up some cherry lumber last month, I had not read up on the trials and tribulations you have experienced on your workshop build. Due to a recent flu episode I was able to read your workshop thread in its entirety, much congrats on your perseverance and the wealth of knowledge you have accumulated on your build.The finish line is in sight and in 20 years or so when the little Igors are creating mounds of sawdust in dads shop, it will be nothing but good memories.Hope to chat with you at Rustfest.
                  Hi Bill! Really glad to read your message. I'm sorry to hear you were'nt feeling well, but hope you're feeling great again now.

The finish line is definitely near. Although, I must say that every time I finish another project, I take one two new ones!!!
                  I'm getting better at avoiding the really nasty ones now .

Yes, definitely a wealth of new-found knowledge, in many more areas than just my building project. One great person once stated that "a lesson learned the hard way is still a lesson learned". I am striving not to learn the "hard way", though. So much better to learn from others' experience, eh?

I've learned how to better understand and work with many people; not only those that mean me well, but also some "bad apples" that cost me a lot of money... But then again, I am partly to blame! There is definitely a sunny outlook for my projects so far. God willing, I'll be able to maintain the current pace I'm at now.

Thanks Bill, and I hope to see you again this summer!

Comment

Looking good Igor, love the DeWalt.
                    Jerome
                    Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                    Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

Update!!! Lots of progress, but poor weather and a whole week worth of little stuff piling up caught up to me. So many things going on that I am feeling overwhelmed... .

Started with building the 10" main duct line, installed the Mattison 55F into final place; it was the first machine to be connected to DC. It got the full 10" dia. pipe connection.

Next came the 7" branch off to the 24" planer. 30 feet of 7" pipe was a bit crazy for me, and I thought I'd have DC problems at the planer. After a test board came through the machine, I'd say I'm quite satisfied with the result. Once I finish sealing off joints with aluminum foil tape, things should be even better.

Tomorrow I'm connecting the SCM M3! Final system should have +/- 120ft of pipe and fittings.

My shop looks like a big mess, because it is. You guys will not believe, but it's actually 2x better than a few months ago when everything was chaos. I am working the reverse entropy in my workshop!

If you guys have any questions or suggestions, post 'em here in response or PM me. Always glad to discuss when I have a few minutes to spare.

More coming soon!!!!

Name:	014 (450x800).jpg
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	1168309

Name:	022 (450x800).jpg
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	1168310

Name:	028 (450x800).jpg
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	1168311

Name:	027 (800x450).jpg
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	1168312

Name:	020 (800x450).jpg
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	1168314

Name:	029 (800x450).jpg
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	1168313

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
                        Looking good Igor, love the DeWalt.
                        Thanks for following along, Jerome!

I really love this little Dewalt. I absolutely cannot wait to get it running with DC and everything. Yay!

Someone I know has a 16" and 18" model, but I found that the bigger saws are not any more useful to me, but require more space. With the smaller 14" size and long arm, I get the same capacity as with most bigger saws except for depth of cut. When I need to crosscut deep pieces, 99% of the time I can do it on the bandsaw.

Comment

Hi Igor, looks like you're making good progress on your shop.

I wish I had that much space.

I just noticed your shaper motor installation and have a couple of comments

1) you appear to be using two conductors in parallel per phase, why did you do that? Note that it's not allowed by the CEC part 1 for conductors smaller than 1/0 AWG.

2) you should use an insulated throat box connector, or add a plastic insulating bushing so the conductors don't rub on the entrance of the box connector.

Regards, Rod.
                          Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Lots has happened over the last few weeks, so here is some update material for this thread...

Dust collection system is up and running great! I surfaced 1,800 bd.ft. of hard maple with the 24" planer over the course of last week, and the DC sucked it all up! Not only that - there was less than a broom-pan full on the floor around the planer after all that lumber went through. In my books, that's a good running system. Probably 5x as powerful as the system in my old shop.

I completed the connections for the SCM M3 multiblade rip saw and the Dewalt GE ras. Both are great performers that make light work of otherwise big jobs. The ras DC setup turned out great - 99% efficiency with practically no sawdust escaping. I kept in mind that ras DC setups have always been a PITA to make work properly, so I managed to find a custom welded ras DC hood that shrouds right behind the blade. Works awesome and built like a tank.

Here are some pics:

Name:	043 (450x800).jpg
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	1176050

Name:	049 (450x800).jpg
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	1176051

Name:	046 (450x800).jpg
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	1176052

Name:	044 (450x800).jpg
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	1176053

Name:	047 (800x450).jpg
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	1176054

Not to be outdone, the 2nd floor or the shop got some upgrades and progress as well. I finally setup the 18" NA upcut saw, which will take care of all the rough lumber crosscutting needs. If you work with decent qty's of lumber that needs to be crosscut to specific lengths, get yourself one of these:

Name:	050 (800x450).jpg
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	1176055

Name:	051 (800x450).jpg
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	1176056

And, as a final thing: a long-time dream of mine came true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought this:

Name:	052 (800x450).jpg
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	1176057

Name:	053 (800x450).jpg
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	1176058

Name:	054 (450x800).jpg
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	1176059

I have been searching for a decent hydraulic copy lathe ever since I found out about them. Up until now, I have been using an SCM T-124 for my needs. It's been a great performer, but it would easily take 20-25 minutes to turn a single table leg. If you are doing this as a hobby, that is great timing, and you do get excellent results. But when running a business, 10 mintues could mean the difference between profit and work-for-nothing. I am now at the stage where I have to pay my own bills, and that means doing quality work in the shortest time possible.

This is a Hapfo 8000 lathe designed to turn pretty much anything. It can even mill spirals and fluted columns. It will take me about a week to set it all up and do some tests, but I can't wait to get it all running! it was a project in and of itself to get it up to the 2nd floor and then all across the building on machinery skates that a friend of mine loaned me. This lathe weighs just a bit over 2,000 lbs plus the control cabinet.
                            I got all of the accessories and tools for it, as well as about 40 different templates.

I expect this lathe to become the backbone of my woodturning division.

Stay tuned for more updates, soon enough.... .

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
                              Hi Igor, looks like you're making good progress on your shop.

I wish I had that much space.

I just noticed your shaper motor installation and have a couple of comments

1) you appear to be using two conductors in parallel per phase, why did you do that? Note that it's not allowed by the CEC part 1 for conductors smaller than 1/0 AWG.

2) you should use an insulated throat box connector, or add a plastic insulating bushing so the conductors don't rub on the entrance of the box connector.

Regards, Rod.
                              Hi Rod! Thanks for your post.

the two conductors parallel per phase was part of the design for the shaper forward/reverse spindle installation. I am not sure if that is visible in the photos I posted, but there is a fwd/rev manual switch built into the control box to which all of the parallel wire runs come to. Basically, it's like reversing motor wiring at the flip of a switch to change rotation. I am not sure how that would be done normally (or otherwise), but I did not change a thing from the original design when replacing the motor.

As for the plastic insulating bushing - it wasn't one there on the original factory setup, so I just returned everything to how it was before. I am pretty sure the whole works was CSA certified. Possibly the codes changed since the 1980's in this regard? I know this machine is at least 30 years old, likely older.

This was all put together in Italy, and I would normally expect Europe to be on par with NA when it comes to electrical safety, but then again, codes do change.

Comment

It is great to see your shop is up and running! I'd love to see a few pictures of the pieces you are building these days.
                                ---
                                Randy

Comment

Working...
                                X