X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Shop Build Thread: New 1,850 Sq. Ft. Facility

Originally posted by Igor Vasilenko View Post
    Update!!!

If you guys have any questions or suggestions, post 'em here in response or PM me. Always glad to discuss when I have a few minutes to spare.
    If you have a few minutes to spare, then you're not working hard enough.
    Your build is making your dream come true.

Noel
    "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
    'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
    "
    John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by rhscdn View Post
      It is great to see your shop is up and running! I'd love to see a few pictures of the pieces you are building these days.
      It sure is an amazing feeling of accomplishment... I am not 100% there yet, but I've passed the 90% mark. I think the last 10% will take 10 more years to do, and by then it will probably be time to expand!

Originally posted by beachburl View Post

If you have a few minutes to spare, then you're not working hard enough.
      Your build is making your dream come true.

Noel
      It's a dream come true for sure, but I hardly deserve the credit for it. I've done more to mess it all up than my friends could straighten out after me, lol . But is definitely coming together.

"The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." - Winston Churchill

Comment

More progress. I completed the installation of the DC run to the shaper and Unisaw area. It's basically a work cell comprised of a Wadkin shaper, a small Jet shaper, and a Unisaw with 52" fence all side by side in a triangle arrangement. This allows one main line to service all 3 machines.

I had a special 7" to 3x 5" splitter pipe built specially for this application.

Here are some pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180315_161041 (450x800).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	1177326

Name:	20180315_161050 (450x800).jpg
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	1177327

Name:	20180315_161135 (450x800).jpg
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	1177328

Name:	20180315_161236 (800x450).jpg
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	1177329

Name:	20180315_161248 (450x800).jpg
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	1177330
        "The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." - Winston Churchill

Comment

Can you put this all into perspective: how long ago was it that you were worrying about your final exams?

Noel
          "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
          'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
          "

Comment

Can you put this all into perspective: how long ago was it that you were worrying about your final exams?

Noel
            Noel, if you're talking about my finals for business school, well, that was almost exactly 3 years ago! April 2015 was my last of that experience. As for everything since then - every day feels like an exam in my books

Comment

For me, those 3 years have flown past.
              Hope it's been good overall, for you.
              You seemed a bit stressed about it then.

Noel
              "

Comment

For me, those 3 years have flown past.
                Hope it's been good overall, for you.
                You seemed a bit stressed about it then.

Noel
                Overall, it's been great, and I learned so much that I literally am now a different person in many ways. I am a bit sorry to have lost my "rosy" outlook on life, as this project has made me new friends, yet separated me from others who I thought were my close friends but turned out to be Hirudo medicinalis... lol . Basically, folks who want to benefit at my expense and time.

It was stressful to spend so much money on a project in so little time, especially any money that I am borrowing from my family. Now that it's (almost) all done and I start to see ROI, it's a warm feeling! I can begin to pay back and reward those who have been so helpful to me.

Comment

Looks Great Igor, the duck work is a work of art and I am stealing some ideas.
                  Jerome
                  Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                  Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
                    Looks Great Igor, the duck work is a work of art and I am stealing some ideas.
                    Thanks Jerome, and steal away!

Quite a few of the ideas came from a book titled "Woodshop Dust Control". Mike McKenna loaned it to me, and I read it and used a few of the suggestions. Great book, I recommend it.

Comment

Update! I managed to get this 10" x 10" air lock for my dust collector:

Click image for larger version  Name:	005 (800x450).jpg Views:	1 Size:	273.6 KB ID:	1179196

Click image for larger version  Name:	006 (450x800).jpg Views:	1 Size:	254.6 KB ID:	1179197

Click image for larger version  Name:	007 (450x800).jpg Views:	1 Size:	262.7 KB ID:	1179198

It's HUGE! 3ft square overall and weighs between 500 - 600 lbs. It's build in England to boot, and 575v! The airlock "innards" are all stainless steel, no paint. Makes the other models I was interested in look like a toy. No need to run another circuit for different voltage, just tap into 600v line that runs the DC.

Installation tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Comment

Wow at least if the cat gots sucked into the collector it has plenty of room to get out
                        Jerome
                        Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                        Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
                          Wow at least if the cat gots sucked into the collector it has plenty of room to get out
                          Lol, yeah .

I figured a 10x10" square is only a bit less than the 12" diameter in surface area, so it works like a charm!

Here are some pics of the installation process. Still not done yet, had to take a break because of inclement weather (all sorts of snow, wind, ice going on here now, can't even step outside!!!!! ).

I ended up having to build a special support platform from scratch (leftover 2x material from shop construction project). I decided not to trust the support offered solely by the DC's V-cone frame, because this airlock is just so heavy. Better safe than sorry!

Will match it to the dust collector by painting white this summer. The weather and temps right now are no good for quality painting.

Next step - installing the transfer incline conveyor! Hope to get that done this week. The conveyor is 8ft x 24" wide, belt type, with adjustable angle incline. This will send the chips from below the airlock discharge to the dump bin or trailer.

Stay tuned!

Name:	016 (800x450).jpg
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	1179707

Name:	017 (450x800).jpg
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	1179708

Name:	021 (450x800).jpg
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	1179709

Name:	015 (450x800).jpg
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	1179710

Comment

Man oh man Igor...at the outset I had no idea you were setting up a small factory! Looking good and really appreciate the updates.

B
                            Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

Comment

Originally posted by timberframe View Post
                              Man oh man Igor...at the outset I had no idea you were setting up a small factory! Looking good and really appreciate the updates.

B
                              As my parents like to say, "the appetite comes as you start to eat!". Lol.

I have actually bought too much, and now scaling back somewhat. Hard to believe, eh? At one point I had 6 shapers... Now down to 3... Still working on it!

Comment

Really coming along Igor, and looking great.

Comment

Working...
                                X