Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Shop Build Thread: New 1,850 Sq. Ft. Facility

Originally posted by gdtrfg View Post
    Really coming along Igor, and looking great.
    Thanks Paul! Nothing like all the cool stuff you added to your shop over the last little while .

Update!

Installed the conveyor. It works great! It took about 3 hours of test-running to fine tune some bugs out, but now everything runs smooth. Sorry for the mess in the yard. Once it's all done, I will spend a day and clean it all up .

It will be really easy to keep the DC clean from now on. Once in a while, all I will need to do is push the mound of shavings/chips sideways to clear room for more. Should be 10x easier than moving the sealed bin all the time.

Some pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	012 (450x800).jpg
Views:	358
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	1180879

Name:	013 (800x450).jpg
Views:	351
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	1180880

Name:	014 (800x450).jpg
Views:	356
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	1180881

Name:	015 (800x450).jpg
Views:	350
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	1180882

Then, I got my brother to send a large board through the planer, and went outside to take some "action" pics of the results:

Name:	014 (800x450).jpg
Views:	354
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	1180883

Name:	016 (450x800).jpg
Views:	357
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	1180884

Name:	019 (450x800).jpg
Views:	351
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	1180885

So far, so GREAT! I will update in a week from now to let ya'll know how the system is performing. I have a real "stress test" coming up - 2 hours worth of heavy planing. Should be interesting to see how the DC keeps up.
    "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." - Benjamin Franklin

"The foundation of every state is the education of its youth." - Diogenes

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

you need to find an old covered forage wagon (what we called them)
      pass the conveyor in through the side and let it fill up.

find a local chicken farmer, or horse barn looking for wood shavings and they can come grab the wagon once a week.

Name:	12026f0be621e77a433473028539b74b.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	1180944
      [insert something witty here]

Comment

What ended up happening with all of this? Been almost two years and no appearance

Comment

You are not the only one wondering.
          I wondered if I missed something in one of my travels away.
          Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
          'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
          "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Igor is a busy boy. That dust collector has been replaced by a 20hp model.

Comment

OK fellows - allow me a minute to come up for air and do a process check. This is about the biggest industrial grade operation I have seen. My head is spinning. Please give all of us observers a fast recall, on what you will produce in some indication of what what quantities to make this whole thing pay for the effort? Thanks.
              Start slow and wind down gracefully

Comment

Hi everyone, my apologies for not updating in a while. Life hasn't been easy. That said, the shop and business is constantly growing and upgrading. That's the only way to get ahead in life!

I'll post a proper update closer to summer time. Right now, the shop is not in photogenic state. Rob mentioned the 20hp dust collector, so here is a pic of the system. It's not done yet, but I've been test-running it for the past couple of months with some amazing results.

To do list:
                pour 8x16 concrete pad for dust collector
                complete the air return filtration (clean air back into the shop)
                tidy up electrical cables going to DC, airlock, and transfer blower

This DC system has a 16" airlock and a 5hp transfer blower that will eventually blow chips into a storage silo. At this point, it's just blowing into a big pile outside.

Everything is 480V 3phase (American voltage )

This is the biggest model that Oneida has in stock. Anything bigger than this is fully custom from them:

Name:	20200304_161040_HDR.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	4.13 MB
ID:	1276555
                Attached Files

Comment

Now THAT, my friends, is a cyclone!
                  All the best,

Marty

- Instagram: @apexwoodworks
                  - facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Apex-Woodwo...0243458908979/

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

Nice to hear from you, Igor. that is quite the system.
                    Jerome
                    Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                    Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFromKingston View Post
                      Now THAT, my friends, is a cyclone!
                      I think I can feel it from here.
                      Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                      'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                      "

Comment

Originally posted by Igor Vasilenko View Post
                        I'll post a proper update closer to summer time. Right now, the shop is not in photogenic state. Rob mentioned the 20hp dust collector, so here is a pic of the system. It's not done yet, but I've been test-running it for the past couple of months with some amazing results.

Name:	20200304_161040_HDR.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	4.13 MB
ID:	1276555
                        Now would be a good opportunity to plug the near new 5hp bag house DC that is surplus to your requirements.
                        Rob

Comment

Thanks guys! The only drawback is the power consumption. I can't just leave it running all day, and need to plan ahead a bit so I could perform work on the bigger machines in "blocks" of work.

Here is a photo of the electrical system set up to run 480v and 600v simultaneously, and also having separate starters for the DC system. The indicator lights help me make sure that everything is running, even when wearing ear protection (the shop can get noisy). That said, the 6,500+ cfm system rating comes in handy for the 2 head 37" widebelt sander I bought last year. I think I have about 2,500cfm at the sander, while having blast gates open on two more machines (24" planer and straight line rip saw). All of the other machines weren't really a big issue even with the old system I had.

The system consists of a Ronk 50hp RPC, 75kva 480v transformer, and a 112kva 600v transformer (choked down to 75kva... I only found a big one cheap, lol). The entire system was designed by an industrial electrician and inspected by ESA inspection. This is important not only for insurance purposes, but also for peace of mind. It's also plainly the right thing to do!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191030_181037.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.10 MB ID:	1276884

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190731_141400.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.81 MB ID:	1276883

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191107_180359.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.54 MB ID:	1276882

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191107_180408.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.71 MB ID:	1276881
                          Last edited by Igor Vasilenko; 04-02-2020, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Those are powerful pictures.
                            Congratulations.
                            So glad to hear from you again.
                            Noel

"

Comment

Working...
                            X