hand tool build thread - mallet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hand tool build thread - mallet

So here is my entry to the hand tool build.

I really need a mallet and with most of my stationary tools out of the shop awaiting a move I decided to use up some scrap and my hand tools to make one.

One of the last machines in the shop is my lathe which I used to turn down the handle.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2401[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	967815

I cut the tenon with my hand saw which I found out need sharpening.

Name:	DSCN2402[1].jpg
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	967816

I spent the morning cleaning it up and chiseling out the mortice (I did drill first) I also glued some sides onto the head for a wider mallet.

Name:	DSCN2404[1].jpg
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	967817
    Now I just have to wait for the glue to dry so I can finish the head and assemble the mallet.
    Jerome
    Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
    Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: hand tool build thread - mallet

Re: hand tool build thread

Lignum Vitae?

Comment

Handle is maple, the head is walnut and cherry.
      Jerome
      Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
      Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

Looking good Jerome. That looks like it will be a solid workhorse for years to come.

Comment

Well I must admit I'm am not very good with documenting the process but I do have some finished photos.
          I have more respect for the hand worker guys and in the future will try to do more work with hand tools.
          So here is the finished Mallet the head is walnut and cherry, with maple pegs the faces and butt of the handle are rawhide . The handle is Sugar maple which it did turn down more after I started to work on the mortice I found it just too large. I hope you like the finished product. Any critique is welcome.

Name:	DSC_0004sm.jpg
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	914620Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0007sm.jpg
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	914621Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0008sm.jpg
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	914622
          Last edited by Jerome; 08-03-2015, 02:12 PM.
          Jerome
          Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.

Comment

Too purty to use. Nice job.

Comment

Looks great! The cherry is really vibrant. I wonder if out put too much of an angle on the faces? Are you working with a high bench?

Comment

My bench is about belly button height. I got the angle for the faces by a line from the fulcrum.
                Jerome
                Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.

Comment

Nice work Jerome!
                  sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

Jerome,

Did you find that the leather facing worked out well in use? I'm thinking of making one myself, and would like your opinion on it.

Thanks for sharing with us!
                    All the best,

Marty

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

I agree it looks too nice to use - but then that's the same with most real craftsmen's tools.
                      I like how you figured the angles.
                      I have two much simpler mallets - one was my grandfather's which I have stopped using, and the other is a Michael Hosalak signed demo turned maple one, which I do use.

Noel
                      "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                      'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                      "
                      John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Very cool. I like making mallets myself; I have done 4 or 5 of different sizes and face styles, just for fun really.

It looks good and I like the pinning you did. My feedback is that there is a higher possibility of the mallet chipping out if you make a hard hit at the top of the face because of the acute angle to the top. If you want to avoid that on future builds, round the top of your mallet so that the angle between the face and the top is less than 90 degrees. I also recommend you pin the handle to the head.

Of course, mallets are meant to beat things and get all nasty, so it's just for aesthetics.

Comment

Thank you all for the nice comments.
                          As for the raw hide I have not had the pleasure the use this mallet yet but will this weekend when home, I have used other mallets with rawhide and they were fine.
                          Thank you for the suggestion on pinning the handle also I might do that even though they are not needed, even the ones that are there really aren't needed.
                          Jerome
                          Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.

Comment

Working...
                          X