Ambitions project - Wooden Block Plane Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ambitions project - Wooden Block Plane Build

So this may or may not actually get done, mostly due to limited time in the shop being summer time and all. But hey, gotta at least make a plan right?

I've had this veritas PM-V11 plane blade sitting in the basement for who knows how long. I bought it when the PM-V11 stuff first came out. I don't know why I bought it, lol. I don't own a plane....I've never used a plane....so chalk it up to an impulse buy. Why not build a nice wooden block plane to wrap around that blade.

So here is the plan.......it's going to be a block plane. Material for the body is a combination of walnut and maple. The wedge will be maple. The sole will be peruvian cherry. In the sole, I will have design elements like brass plates as you can see in the pictures. The second brass plate will have the opening for the blade to come through. The wedge pin, and assembly alignment pins will also be brass.

At least that's the plan, lol.

Here are the concept drawings. This is what started it all.

Everyone likes pretty renderings...

Name is Kamil
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Ambitions project - Wooden Block Plane Build

Looks real good -- make it happen!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post
      Looks real good -- make it happen!!!!
      Couldn't agree more! Make it happen!

That looks really sleek.

Comment

Looking forward to watching this one.
        Jerome
        Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
        Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

Started getting a little bit of work done on this.....

Started machining up the inserts for the sole. Brass is so beautiful. Still need to bring them down to final thickness.

For the body, I was going to cut everything manually, but then saw the CNC sitting there, and just couldn't resist. lol. So to take out any error during assembly, I cut one profile to exact dimensions, then the rest are 1/16" over all around. I will glue together then just rout the final profile with the exact one as the reference. One of the maple is exact, one is oversize, and the walnut is oversize as well. The side profiles are milled deep into a thick block of walnut. I will cut my 1/4" thick slices on the table saw like a loaf of bread, and hope for the best, lol.

Next will be the wedge profiles in hard maple, brass pins, and sole.
          Name is Kamil

Comment

Made a little progress today. It's been an insane 2 weeks at work, working 14 hour shifts, sleeping for 3-4 hours, then family stuff all day (I work afternoons). Even if I did get shop time, there was no way in hell I was taking the risk of running equipment in my zombie like state. Rested up on the weekend, so got in the shop today.

Here are the pieces of the body, freed from their blanks. You can see the walnut and one of the maple pieces is slightly oversize to give me some wiggle room for gluing. You can also see the sides of the body after they were cut from the blank.

Here are the brass plates machined to final thickness, except the bigger one, which I will machine the 22.5* angle into, then machine to fit the slot.

And here is the sole underside machined into the peruvian cherry blank.

Also got the wedge profiles machined into the hard maple blank.

I'm gonna try to get this complete, but it's going to be tight.
            Name is Kamil

Comment

One comment re: the wedges - your grain direction might be problematic. Usually the grain runs the long way (i.e., rotated ~90° from yours). There's a lot of pressure focused in a small area on the top of the wedge and you have the potential to crack the wedge along the grain.
              Mark Kornell, Kornell Wood Design

Comment

I realized that after I cut it. Once I cut them out of the blank I will have a look at the grain. If I have to then I will cut a new blank and cut them again.
                Name is Kamil

Comment

The good news is that the wedge is the easiest part of the entire plane to remake!
                  Chris Wong
                  http://flairwoodworks.com

If you don't think your work is good enough, maybe you need a Magic Square.

Comment

Alright more progress...getting close now.

Cutting the pieces free from the blanks....perfect opportunity to put the grrrrripper to use.

Dry assembly....looks pretty darn good to me. Everything fits nice and tight.

The sole plate is also complete. Just need the insert with the angled opening in it.

The kreg clamps work well for the glue up.

I hope I can finish this up by the end of the month. The blade fits in perfectly.
                    Name is Kamil

Comment

Well, I was actually able to get this complete. Talk about down to the wire. The danish oil is still drying as I type this, lol.

I enjoyed this build quite a bit. It was fun, and I realized a couple of thigs while at it.

1) I really really really need a band saw, lol. As soon as I have some funds, that will be the next big purchase.
                      2) When I wanted to take the plane for a test drive on a full 2" wide cut, I couldn't, because I have nothing to hold the piece in. So a nice bench is also on the wish list.

Here are some more pictures. I will post pictures of the final and finished product later on tonight.

Here is the brass plate with the slit for the blade. The angle is 22.5* to match the body and offer solid support for the blade.

Couple of pictures post glue up, with the sole glued on.

Then came time to epoxy in all the brass plates.

Test drive time. Like I said above, I couldn't cut the full width of the blade, so I opted to create a big chamfer in some walnut. Felt good to make some shavings with something I built.

Name is Kamil

Comment

Finally, because I made the body slightly wider, and my brass plates were already cut, it wansn't visually appealing to see the plates narrower than the sole. So I added a bevel along the body until everything was pretty and clean.

Everything got sanded down to 220, and my choice for the finish was natural danish oil. Final pics will be posted later on tonight, but it came out beautiful once the finish was applied.
                        Name is Kamil

Comment

And here is the finished product. My apologies for the terrible pictures. I will have to retake some with my actual camera rather than the phone.

Name is Kamil

Comment

Looks good!
                            Jason V.

Comment

Very NICE Kamil -- You did Make it happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X