Beginner Hand Tool Build Thread - Hard Maple Chisel Plane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner Hand Tool Build Thread - Hard Maple Chisel Plane

As the title says, I am a complete beginner, as I have never built my own hand tool before (except for a mallet!!). This thread will document my upcoming attempt at creating my own chisel plane. As the name suggests, this is a very special plane, in that a chisel is used as the blade, with a wedge to hold it in place.

This will be a step-by-step, picture heavy build thread, so stay tuned! I will begin working on the plane tomorrow (Friday, August 21st), and will hopefully finish before the end of the contest!

Wish me luck. I'll need lots of it.
    "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." - Benjamin Franklin

"The foundation of every state is the education of its youth." - Diogenes
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Beginner Hand Tool Build Thread - Hard Maple Chisel Plane

Good luck, Igor.

Many woodworking historians hold the idea that planes initially evolved as jigs to hold chisels. Then irons and planes were adapted and changed form to suit specific tasks. But the basic form is still there.
    Mark Kornell, Kornell Wood Design

Comment

Looking forward to it Igor.
      Jerome
      Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
      Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

I finally have a chance to update this thread. I have completed the build, so the update will be from start to final shave . Let's take a look at what I have!

I started by selecting a piece of hard maple that would look good. Then, I designed the proportions of the hand plane to suit the 1/2" chisel I am using; and make the future plane comfortable and easy to use.

The second step involved cutting out the body of the future plane.

The third step was a bit trickier: I needed to cut a 45 degree slot for the chisel and the wedge that will be holding it in place. The 45 degree angle was specifically selected because it works best with the chisel type I am using.

The fourth step was to fine-tune the fit, to make sure the slot was perfectly wide for the wedge and chisel. Trial and error were involved . The result was not bad at all, considering this is my first knack at anything plane-related!!

The fifth step was to make sure the chisel side aligned perfectly with the plane body side, so the hand plane would be able to cut rabbets properly. I fine-tuned the depth of cut to suit, and then did some final touch ups with a chisel (not the one for the future chisel plane!!)

The sixth step was fun - aesthetics!! I played around a bit with curves to make the plane a bit more fun to look at. I then cut the wedge, and rounded off the top end to give it an appealing look.

Now here comes a little confession: I made a blunder on my first try to finish the plane. I forgot all about a way for the shavings to leave the plane!! Guess what: on the first try to make it work, the plane did not .

Sooo.... The seventh step involved creating a way for the shavings/chips to escape the plane. Looks like it worked well!

Behold the completed plane in the final photos! Comments, criticism, and questions are always welcome .
        This concludes my build thread, but the photos will be posted in order across a few subsequent posts.

Thanks for looking!
        Attached Files

Comment

More photos of the step-by-step procedure.
          Attached Files

Comment

And more photos....
            Attached Files

Comment

The final batch of photos. I hope you enjoyed this thread!
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Igor,

I noticed there weren't any pictures of the plane in use. Did you test it? How does it work?
                Chris Wong
                http://flairwoodworks.com

If you don't think your work is good enough, maybe you need a Magic Square.

Comment

Originally posted by flairwoodworks View Post
                  Hi Igor,

I noticed there weren't any pictures of the plane in use. Did you test it? How does it work?
                  Hi Chris!

I actually just came back from a trip to Toronto, so I have not had much time to play around with the plane. So far, I have used the plane three times. The first attempt, as I had described in one of my posts, did not end well!
                  The plane did not work at all because the shavings got trapped; there was no way for them to escape the plane. Once I solved that issue, the plane started to perform much better, but it still looks like the chisel is not properly sharpened. Unfortunately, I have little sharpening experience, so my attempt to solve that is barely adequate. I will hone the chisel with some fine sandpaper and see what happens then! I will try to post some more photos once that is done.

Comment

Good work. I will share my experience, there were a few tricks to make the chisel plane or shoulder plane works smoothly like this.Click image for larger version

Name:	20151008_110546.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	919761

you could check my post.

First, the chisel, the thicker the better, cause you want it to be steady, and when it even tiny shakes when you plane, the shaving will broke into pieces and stuck in your plane.
                    Second, i always make the slot with a little angle, which means when you use your plane, the blade will always touch the wood with the corner first, then to the full blade, and the shavings will have a direction to get out.
                    Third, the round hole should be one way big and one way small, again to make the shavings always getting out from the big opening side.

Or to modify your plane, you could make another wedge, make it with thin small angle at the bottom, to direct the shavings out. But the wedge should be super tight to your chisel, leave no gap.

hope this would help.

Comment

Can the same thing be said about chisels? Maybe in the real galoot’s shop, but in a shrinking number and even more so in the hybrid woodworker’s shop. I have read all about the different kinds of chisels and their traditional uses from mortise to firmer and back again. Paring chisels in particular have interested me because of their delicate beauty and the way in which they are used to fine tune the stock
                      My site: http://choosehumidifier.com

Comment

Nice job on that plane. I may try to make one of those myself. Thanks for the thread. I really appreciate effort and ideas behind it all.
                        https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/

Comment

Working...
                        X