This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WRAP UP - Building Together: Hand Tools

A big thanks to everyone who participated. I hope you had some fun discussing your builds. I'm sure you'll have fun using the tools you built!

I have been away for the last few days, but I'm going to be contacting some of the posters over the next few days about prizes. When I have that sorted I'll post the results here.

The reason why we put these "Building Together" events is because we hear from people that there's not enough chance to converse with other woodworkers about the craft. We all work away in our shops, and rarely cross paths with others. As physically getting together would be a huge challenge for most, we thought this would be the next best option. After we put together the box making event last fall we were disappointed with the level of participation. It was a our first of these sorts of events, and we could have rolled it out a bit better. We asked for constructive criticism, and we got some good advice, so we made a few changes to this event. To be completely, even though we had about twice the threads, we were still a bit disappointed in the turnout. I was hoping for at least 25 threads, likely more, but we have just over half that. I would love to do something like this again, and keep the momentum going, but I'm not sure it's worth it. If you think we should continue with this event, but think we can make improvements, please let us know your ideas. If you think this event is destined for a sure death, and you'd never take part, please tell us that too.

-Do you think we should continue these events, and try to bring Canadian woodworkers together?
    -Why didn't you take part in this event?
    -What can be done to improve on the event for next time?
    -If you took part in this (or the box making) event, did you enjoy it?
    -Any other thoughts about the event in general?
    -If we continue the event, what would make a good topic for next time?

Post your thoughts below. I'm hoping we can get some constructive criticism from our members so we can improve on this even more for the future.

Thanks everyone. Talk soon.

Re: WRAP UP - Building Together: Hand Tools

I didn't take part because I make hand tools as I need them, and don't see the point of rushing to make something I may never use. I thought the time-frame too short for amateurs, especially in the summer. In the past year or so I've made a Moxon vise and a "Roubo" frame saw. I didn't post them because they weren't original designs, and pros like Tom Fidgen have already covered the subject well on line.
    Since it was opened to old machine nuts, the forum has largely been taken over by them, with a heavier proportion of professional to amateur woodworkers. Nothing wrong with that, as the man said. The majority rules, and a minority segment may feel intimidated or underappreciated. The switch to the "what's new" home format does underline the extent of the change that has taken place. Most days you won't come across a single hand tool item. I don't spend much time here anymore, because I'm not interested in machinery or in often ill-tempered political or philosophic discussions.
    I wish you good luck with the revival attempt, and hope that the artificial respiration isn't too late.
    Jim

Comment

I tried to take part, but life is too busy this time of year. That said, limits had to be set (start/finish dates). I like the idea, because I'm sure some (like myself) put things off for another day. Where a competition gives incentive to "get things done".

I didm't take part, but I will still finish the tools I wanted to make. I like the format, it makes for good reading/pictures, and gives me for one, the kick in backside I need to get off said backside.

I like the random topics choosen, can be simple or intricate (boxes or tools each)

maybe more competitions, but with less extravagent prizes (unless there are lots to be handed out) it would make for more threads/pictures.

all in all, I like it... and hope to eventually take part in one.
      [insert something witty here]

Comment

I've taken part in both events. It was a good excuse for me to get into the shop and play with the tools a little. I'm a hobby woodworker, so stuff like this excites me. In my opinion, these kinds of events are best suited for the guys who do it as a hobby. It's a challenge to figure it out and make it work.

As for your questions.....

-Do you think we should continue these events, and try to bring Canadian woodworkers together?
        Personally I like them, and I will try to take part if another one comes around.

Time wise, I feel that the whole month was sufficient given the project. Much better than the week we had for the boxes. However, I would stay away from doing events like this June-September. Speaking just for myself, the summer is a busy time when you have a family. I almost couldn't take part in this because of stuff I already had going on, spending time with the kids was on the top of the list. So this build was all thanks to my wife for giving me some shop time. Then the flip side, doing something during the winter months is also difficult, at least for me it is, since my 'shop' is in the garage, and I tend to stay indoors during the winter, lol.

Took part in both, and enjoyed it both times.

I'm drawing a blank here. Perhaps something on a lathe? Although then you limit yourself to someone who has a lathe.

I hope these builds stick around. They are fun, and I wish more people would take part as they are a great learning opportunity, especially for newbies like me. You can only watch so much youtube, lol
        Name is Kamil

Comment

I'm for keeping the event going. Perhaps on a two or three month schedule to give a little more time for the procrastinators like myself. Prizes are not really required. A best liked? Recognition with with all the others as runner ups. Emphasis on the write up and details maybe emphasized. Consider them tutorials.

I had considered making a simple hand adze for shaping bowls during evening fire watch at the lake. However, the anticipated blade source was not good enough and the fourteen year old saved Ironwood crotch piece did not have the proper angle. Even had an assortment of ten year old roughly turned rounds, one of which wood have worked well for the handle.

Another thought was was making a shaving board that could be supported by feet and lap whilst sitting in an easy chair watching a YouTube documentary.
          Egon
          from
          The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Rob;
            I liked the event and got into the forum more broadly because of it. I heard about it on flairwoodworking a couple of months and started to think about what project I was going to take on for it. Sometimes these things need time to build momentum. Thanks for organizing it.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I really enjoy these events. I had every intention of joining in with this one, I was thinking of making a couple of lathe tools. Life however, in the form of a three projects leading to a porch rebuild, took precidence. As I get further into the rebuild, I realized just how bad it was. I'm glad I am doing it.

That said, I did follow along with all the builds. I quite enjoyed the projects, and hope to do a few of the tools myself. Its great to see how different people deal with different issues.

I hope another event comes along. Perhaps a toy/game build. I have a couple of bar top games my BIL has been trying to get me to do.
              Darrin

Timber Elegance
              My Etsy Store

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Brown View Post
                I'd be interested in continuing these events.

As others have said, I would think that the summer months should be avoided as many people are on holidays or busy outside. November would be a good month so that gifts could be made and completed.

I enjoyed completing a project-something I wanted to complete; and having an incentive to complete it helped too.

-Any other thoughts about the event in general?
                It would have been nice to see more involvement of others during the event. It was good to have a month for the event too. Perhaps leading up to the next event, people could bandy ideas around on the forum from the time the event is announced to the start date.

Toys, (outdoor) furniture, jewelry, stools, birdhouses...

Thanks for hosting this event. I hope it grows. I couldn't participate in the box building one, due to being busy; but I wanted to.
                Jason V.

Comment

Just a suggestion.

Continue the event but give a longer time to finish. Perhaps a year. Here's the kicker; propose a new event/project every month or two.. Personally I couldn't be bothered making a box or turning a bowl but I might make a marking tool for example, BUT, I won't do it in a month unless I absolutely need it NOW! I suspect many of us are the same.

Comment

Rob.... Not trying to be unpatriotic buy why just Canadian Woodworkers, we have a fair number of forum members that are from other parts of the world.

Brian
                    If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

I like the idea, though I haven't participated in either so far. The first one I didn't notice the advertising for it till after it was over. This one I saw all about it, it was promoted better it seemed to me. I'm not a big hand tool guy though, and I've been super busy this month, so this one was a non-starter for me. I'm looking forward to the next one though. As for prizes, tools are great, of course, but I also wonder about a profile in the magazine? Like a decent one - not just a sidebar, but like a full page. I don't know about the others, but the chance to have my name and work profiled in the magazine would be a really cool prize that I would really work for. I mean, I just feel like that would be cool! I would cut out the page, frame it, and hang it in the shop with some pride.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
                        Rob.... Not trying to be unpatriotic buy why just Canadian Woodworkers, we have a fair number of forum members that are from other parts of the world.

Brian
                        Although we used "Canadians" in the title, we really didn't exclude anyone. In fact, we got one great build thread from a man in Washington, DC. We used the word Canadian as most of our members are Canadian, and we really want to encourage Canadians to participate. The more, the merrier, really.

Comment

Originally posted by callee View Post
                          I also wonder about a profile in the magazine?
                          I've considered that Ryan. I was going to do a gallery-style article about some of the better boxes, but it turned out we had so few. Maybe there are enough hand tools to make this happen. To be honest, the other limiter is the quality of photography. If I could be ensured all the forum members took well composed, well lit, high res shots of their tools in a natural setting I would do it for sure. That's not everyone's strength though.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                            Just a suggestion.

Continue the event but give a longer time to finish. Perhaps a year. Here's the kicker; propose a new event/project every month or two.. Personally I couldn't be bothered making a box or turning a bowl but I might make a marking tool for example, BUT, I won't do it in a month unless I absolutely need it NOW! I suspect many of us are the same.
                            Would this mean that there would be about 6-12 different topics going on near the end of the year, or would the first topic go for a month or two, end, then the next one would start? I'm not sure I understand your general idea.

Comment

I've read all the other posts as well, and appreciate the feedback. It's important to hear from the folks we do this for, and fine tune the idea so we get it right. I think there's some really great potential here and I don't want to end it too early.

Keep the feedback coming!

Comment

Working...
                              X