X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WRAP UP - Building Together: Hand Tools

Originally posted by Rob Brown View Post
    Would this mean that there would be about 6-12 different topics going on near the end of the year, or would the first topic go for a month or two, end, then the next one would start? I'm not sure I understand your general idea.
    Not at all. Every new project/topic would have the same length of time for a deadline. In other words a calendar year or 6 months or whatever you choose. For example if it were 9 months a topic that started in June would have a March deadline.

Each project/topic could be a part of an overall piece as well. Such as a drawer that's part of a corner cabinet or a pullout or a bank of drawers etc. or a project like trim on an entrance. Just imagine what you might see from Gary Zimmel or Mreza. Projects like that would include a lot of guys who don't do furniture pieces or bird houses as an example but extended time could allow a blanket box eventually.

I will grant that doing a complete dresser is probably not the road you want to travel but...........

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Huh - You could request them - People may be willing to get there hands on a high res camera if they thought they were going to be famous!

Comment

LOL maybe one of the build topics could be photo setups...with camera's for prizes.......naaaa on second thought Don Kondra would be a shoe in...none of the rest of us would stand a chance winning that one...
        When someone tells you it can't be done, it's a reflection of their limitations, not yours.

Comment

Originally posted by raematt View Post
          Huh - You could request them - People may be willing to get there hands on a high res camera if they thought they were going to be famous!
          Good point. I had considered doing a very short article in our next issue about the pieces that were created, but the biggest challenge is always getting good photography. If the images I source for the magazine are not up to our art directors standards he doesn't like to include them in our pages. We're not after National Geographic quality images, just well lit, in focus, nicely composed shots that show the piece well.

I'll contact all the people who took part in this event and see what we can come up with.

Comment

I hear what you're saying, but having a small photo and maybe 15 words of text in one small spot of a page that is filled with 4 or 5 other similar blurbs of other people's pieces - if I understand you right what you mean by "gallery style" - while that would be nice, it would be no where near enough to motivate me as a prize.
            I'm talking about a real full page profile of a first place winner, with a couple different shots of the piece, maybe one of you in the shop, and a good sized write up talking about how you made it, where you got the idea from, etcm. A real profile like that - the full celebrity treatment - that's the type of thing you'd be eager to mail copies home to your mother! Or frame an hang on the wall.

I mean, tool prizes are great, but on the other hand, if you don't win, you can just go and get that tool anyway simply by saving up enough money. But a big superstar profile like that in the magazine? You can only get that by being good enough, so that would be something you could be proude of.

Just my $0.05
            I've considered that Ryan. I was going to do a gallery-style article about some of the better boxes, but it turned out we had so few. Maybe there are enough hand tools to make this happen. To be honest, the other limiter is the quality of photography. If I could be ensured all the forum members took well composed, well lit, high res shots of their tools in a natural setting I would do it for sure. That's not everyone's strength though.

Comment

The reason why we put these "Building Together" events is because we hear from people that there's not enough chance to converse with other woodworkers about the craft. We all work away in our shops, and rarely cross paths with others. As physically getting together would be a huge challenge for most, we thought this would be the next best option. After we put together the box making event last fall we were disappointed with the level of participation. It was a our first of these sorts of events, and we could have rolled it out a bit better. We asked for constructive criticism, and we got some good advice, so we made a few changes to this event. To be completely, even though we had about twice the threads, we were still a bit disappointed in the turnout. I was hoping for at least 25 threads, likely more, but we have just over half that. I would love to do something like this again, and keep the momentum going, but I'm not sure it's worth it. If you think we should continue with this event, but think we can make improvements, please let us know your ideas. If you think this event is destined for a sure death, and you'd never take part, please tell us that too.

-Do you think we should continue these events, and try to bring Canadian woodworkers together?
              -Why didn't you take part in this event?
              -What can be done to improve on the event for next time?
              -If you took part in this (or the box making) event, did you enjoy it?
              -Any other thoughts about the event in general?
              -If we continue the event, what would make a good topic for next time?

I did not participate in the box build due to lack of time that particular week. I liked the longer time frame for the tool build event, as I had flexibility to fit work on the tool in around the other projects I had in the shop. It isn't that a box or plane takes long to build (5-8 hours), but it can be tough to find that amount of time in any given week. The month-long format is also nice in that there is a relatively near-term deadline. Too much longer and the temptation would be to procrastinate.

The flip side of that is that I spend a good chunk of my days in the shop so it usually isn't hard to find an hour here or there to work on something pretty much any time of year. For the hobbyist, I can see that could be tough depending on the time of year and other things going on in life.

I like these events and hope they continue. It is good to see what ideas other come up with and how they solve problems. Also liked the interaction with other builders.

As to participation, dunno. Rob, you probably have access to forum stats that show active membership and most popular subforums and topics. It seems to me that there are more shop builds than furniture builds. Do you think that 20+ threads is realistic? For comparison, there's a self-organizing group on LumberJocks that does swap events. No prizes, the objective is to build some skills by trying new things and maybe show off a bit. That forum seems to have a much more active membership, but the swaps usually attract 20-30 participants. Maybe building the participant base here will take more time to raise awareness and generate ongoing interest.

If only those old arn folks would finish their restores and get on to building something :-)

I think a good event for a spring time frame would be outdoor furniture. Also think a turned project would be a good event. That brings in a different segment of the forum participants, for sure, as there seems to be a fairly active spinny crowd that don't do any flatwork.
              Mark Kornell, Kornell Wood Design

Comment

I like the idea of having an event. I couldn't participate in this one due to time constraints as others have said before.

How about not having anything you have to officially "enter"? By this I mean, once in a while, when you can get sponsorship, or some goodies that would be neat to give away, go through posts of things that folks are doing and pick some worthy threads to reward. The time limit would be from the ending of one event until a random time when things line up. Weather it be a machine rebuild, a hand tool project, a tools build, maybe even tool reviews that provoke interest and involvement. This way, everyone is encouraged to do their own thing in their own time and there are possible rewards for sharing and being involved with the forum, no matter what facet of it you enjoy.
                More stuff of mine at:
                http://watertoneworkshop.blogspot.ca/

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5...xPoVDV61AxUdUA

Comment

I really enjoy following along on these events & seeing all the results, I didn't join this one as summer is bad for me.
                  One option that might work is to do them quarterly , January to March, etc. You could also alternate between tool building & project building, I wasn't interested in box building but would love to try tool building.

Another idea that seems to be popular over on UKworkshop is a Secret Santa draw, they get a lot of really cool handmade hand tools on their draws.

Hope this helps

Eamon
                  If you don't have any hard times, how can you fully appreciate the good times

Comment

I have contacted all the winners, and have organized all the prizes. Here is a list of the 6 winners.

Mark Kornell (Iguana) - Veritas Marking Gauge
                    Kamil Czuba (kookie_guy) - Compressor Kit
                    Mark Allen (Allegrus) - Sander
                    Matthew Rae (raematt) - Set of 3 Gouges
                    Chris Wong (flairwoodworks) - Veritas Sharpening Jig
                    Darrell LaRue (Darrell) - Taper Jig

Also, look for a short gallery-style article in our Dec/Jan issue where we run images of some of the finished tools from the event.

A big thanks goes out to all who participated. Hopefully we can make a few tweaks to the event and continue to hold these events on a regular basis.

Comment

Great choices on the winner all well deserving.
                      Jerome
                      Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                      Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

I think it was the time of the year. I got over 40 people to participate in the Shop Stool Build-Off which took place during a single weekend in February.
                        Chris Wong
                        http://flairwoodworks.com

If you don't think your work is good enough, maybe you need a Magic Square.

Comment

Originally posted by flairwoodworks View Post
                          I think it was the time of the year. I got over 40 people to participate in the Shop Stool Build-Off which took place during a single weekend in February.
                          That's a possibility Chris. It's a tricky thing though, as for some people the warmer months are the only time they can get into their unheated shop. We draw mainly from Canada, where you draw from all over the continent, and possibly beyond. I heard from people a while ago who said "do it in the warmer months, as that's when I can work" and I also heard "do it in the colder months, as I'm less busy then". If all goes well we will do it in all seasons, and see if that works. We did do the box event last fall, well away from the busy summertime, and got very little response. And we did that event over a time period that was 3.5 times longer than yours. You guessed it....people said it was too short of a time.

I think the bottom line is that everyone is different, and has a different perfect time of the year to get into the shop, a different amount of time they can spend in the shop in a given weekend / week / month, etc. I'm hoping we can find the sweet spot, and also offer different events with different details so anyone who wants to can take part in at least one now and then.

Comment

Working...
                          X