Temporary heating for a detached garage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temporary heating for a detached garage

I have an insulated (unheated) detached triple garage and I'd like to build my own camper (epoxy, resin and composite) at some point. I'm not too busy over the winter period so am wondering about doing it while it's cold, but that would mean I need to heat the garage to do it, just a few hours at a time while the resin and epoxy cures.

Are there any temporary solutions for this that don't cost the earth and are actually safe?

The garage itself has no electricity or natural gas connection so I'd either need to trail a heavy duty extension cable if electrical , or preferentially run something off propane. Presumably running one of the $150 propane heaters available at HD is a big no no unless I can find one that vents outside or sits outside and blows in?

Any ideas or is this a no go?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Temporary heating for a detached garage

I had a buddy who had a couple months in his shop before he could get his heat hooked up. He would crack one of the garage doors open just enough to get the butt end of a propane salamander out, and run that sucker for about 20 minutes. He claimed that in 20 minutes he'd have the whole shop up to temp and then he wouldn't have to do that again for a couple hours. Mind you, his shop was a new ICF build, so it did have great R value. I remember I stopped by one day and it was a nice comfortable working temp. The "so you got your heat hooked up, eh?" "No," he said, "still using the salamander.". So I guess it did work. If your shop is well insulated, you might be able to get away with that too. As long as the door is open while you're running it, I suspect you'd be fine too. Maybe get a C/O detector just to be sure.

Comment

I have one of what Ryan described. It will run on diesel or kerosene. Before I got my shop heat installed and would place it in the man door and fire it up. I think it is a 35,000 btu and heats real fast. Princess Auto has a good selection at our local store. You do need an extension cord for the fan motor. A tank of fuel lasts at least 8 hrs. In my area diesel is cheaper than kerosene. Mine has a hi/ lo setting. If you use it inside ensure you keep a door open
      If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Extension cord & a pellet stove venting thru the wall. Not cheap but will nicely heat the shop and is capable of long runs between pellet addition.

If you are able to set up a propane tank installation of a proper heater running off of an extension cord might be an option that can be converted to natural gas as that time arrives.

For building something like a camper using epoxies constant temperature is almost a must.

Many years past past many farm shops were heated by the two barrel wood stove.
        Egon
        from
        The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Before I had my heater installed I used one of those, run off diesel.

Keep a window/door open a bit, it will work for what you’re describing.

I wouldn’t want to use it to heat your shop all day, every day over the winter but for limited useage it will be fine.

Detached eh?

If you want to heat the building all winter I’d look into a wood stove.
          Talk to your insurance company first tho, some of them won’t cover it at all.

nathan

Comment

depending how big the unheated space is, it may be wotth it to make a temporary wall so you are only heating 1/3-1/2 the space.

2x4 frame
            insulation
            strapping on one side to keep insulation in & poly on other side
            schor likes this.
            [insert something witty here]

Comment

You will eventually run some power to the garage I would guess. Buy whatever wire you will use later now and use that as a temporary power line (extension) to a panel. Then run a 240 outlet and a couple 120's so you can power your tools and lights. Use the 240 to run one of those 4800 watt heaters.

And as Tom said, block off a smaller portion of the space.

How much? maybe $400 but you will not be throwing anything away in the future.
              Ken in Regina likes this.
              Steve The Drill Sergeant
              Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

I hooked up 2 of those radiant heaters from PA run one on low and until monday night it was still 10 degrees in the garage. I have 2X4 framing with R14 in the walls and the roof is sprayed with 4" of 2 pound closed cell foam.

If I turn the 2 on it would easily keep my shop at 25 degrees if I wanted them too. Wife says the one running on low has upped our bill by $20 a month. Not bad I would say. Sorry i dont know why its so big.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...SAAEgLSI_D_BwE

Last edited by Greg from K/W; 12-26-2017, 10:16 PM.
                https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/

Comment

Originally posted by Greg from K/W View Post
                  I hooked up 2 of those radiant heaters from PA run one on low and until monday night it was still 10 degrees in the garage. I have 2X4 framing with R14 in the walls and the roof is sprayed with 4" of 2 pound closed cell foam.

If I turn the 2 on it would easily keep my shop at 25 degrees if I wanted them too. Wife says the one running on low has upped our bill by $20 a month. Not bad I would say.
                  Greg, et al, here is a handy calculater I use for determing electricity costs.
                  http://energyusecalculator.com/elect...paceheater.htm

I have thought about adding a single one of those heaters to leave on in the shop. Point it at the table saw and see if it has much effect on the temps in there.
                  using an average hourly rate of ¢8.23/hr
                  and the heatet on 750w low setting
                  that calculator says it would cost $45/month to be left on 24hr/day

Comment

I am telling you what my wife said and that is since I plugged that thing in and put it on low setting its has cost us an additional $20 a month. That was the whole month of december billing cycle. She pays the bills and I asked her to let me know how much it changed.

Comment

When I was a drywaller, I had a 60,000 BTU salamander (20+ yrs ago).I used it to bump the heat up fast in my shop. I picked up two of the PA infrared heaters that were posted above for about $40 apiece on sale. Then I went to a 5000 W shop heater, then I went to a 30,000 BTU NG heater. I am well insulated. I never let the shop get below 65°F 18°C. Going natural gas ran me about $1500. But I wish I did that from the beginning.

The salamander added a lot of moisture to the air. I left the door cracked, but I always felt like energy $ were just going out the door.

OP, I think your best solution for temporary heat, would be one of the 1500 W oil filled radiator heaters and building a little hut around the project with plastic. Or, maybe a dozen incandescent 100 watt lightbulbs (safely placed) . Maybe also add some small amount of ventilation. After all you are doing resin.
                      Last edited by Matt Matt; 12-27-2017, 02:33 AM.
                      For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
                      Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg from K/W View Post
                        I am telling you what my wife said and that is since I plugged that thing in and put it on low setting its has cost us an additional $20 a month. That was the whole month of december billing cycle. She pays the bills and I asked her to let me know how much it changed.
                        just re-read my post, didn't mean to imply any error, just showing the calculator and how it could be used.
                        hearing it costs less is fine by me, as I am still pondering adding it.

Comment

I like it for sure. No problem Tom. I understand. Of course I plan on going with natural gas too as some point. Right now it just isnt in the budget.

Comment

I picked one of these up but have not installed it. So running these at 3000W would be about the same as running two the quartz heaters at 1450W.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...SAAEgLSI_D_BwE

Comment

Maybe but I am only running one of the quartz right now and it seams enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X