New woodshop/garage must haves?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New woodshop/garage must haves?

We're in the process of relocating to Huntsville (Port Sydney). The house we bought only has an attached 1.5 (18x18') garage. Looking to build a detached 2 bay (for cars/toys) + attached wood shop, or expand the existing attached to add 2 more bays.

From those who have done it one way or wish they could, what would be your must haves for such a shop? i.e., overall size, plumbing, isolated dust collection room, spray booth, electrical.

I think I've got the tools covered.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: New woodshop/garage must haves?

In floor heating.

Nathan

Comment

Natural light,windows.
      High ceiling.
      Les Groeller likes this.
      • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

The ability to lift something from the ceiling, like a machine out of the back of a truck or trailer.
        Run 12/3 Wire where ever you can, gives you the ability to run 20a 120 and 240v circuits.

Comment

Compressed air at many points. Even coming up in the middle of the floor.

Comment

I put up a garage (did not have one here) in the fall. The first thing to figure out was the criteria. In my case I needed to store one car and have space to work on it. I also wanted enough storage for things not used regularily (snow tires, snow blower in the summer, etc.) I found 20x28 was the right size based on my needs and space I had. We have an old house so I wanted it to fit in with the rest of our property. so high pitched roof (we bought engineered joists) and wood siding fitted. My plan was 3 season use as I will not be heating it. I do have a construction heater to take the chill off if I want to do something in the winter. I ran power to a pony panel in the garage so I have lots of outlets including 20amp so I am not going to kick breakers on high draw items. I will be doing epoxy on the floor once it warms up to give it a nice finish. I also posted here regarding lighting. I bought LED, not installed yet but I will have lots of light.
            I think the key to building is do a little extra as you will end up using it.
            Mark
            www.masterfinishing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by nnieman View Post
              In floor heating.

Nathan
              Originally posted by redlee View Post
              Natural light,windows.
              High ceiling.
              Originally posted by Wood Borer View Post
              The ability to lift something from the ceiling, like a machine out of the back of a truck or trailer.
              Run 12/3 Wire where ever you can, gives you the ability to run 20a 120 and 240v circuits.
              Originally posted by klassenl View Post
              Compressed air at many points. Even coming up in the middle of the floor.
              All of the above and ... a good floor drain system, and because I like a level, flat floor, multiple drain points. If I could, I would put my dust collection into the floor also, to keep it out of the way in the workspace.
              Last edited by John Bartley; 04-15-2018, 12:22 PM. Reason: spelin

Comment

2x6 walls to allow good insulation, as well as highly insulated ceiling. I have 9' 6"" clearance under ceiling, and appreciate it. Roy
                Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

Al of the above could be considered but do not go too high. 10 feet should be sufficient because if you heat it remember heat rises.
                  "Do it Right!"

Comment

I've seen a couple of posts recently where people have installed cyclones or Thien baffles ahead of central vacs in their shop. I'd consider installing central vac piping in the shop along with any dust collection piping.

Comment

I'd be tempted to excavate a half-basement/crawlspace. Seal it and heat it. Then you could freely and easily run and access infloor heating, infloor DC, and in floor electrical, all of which would be worth their weight in gold to me. Also, welcome to muskoka!

Comment

Originally posted by callee View Post
                        I'd be tempted to excavate a half-basement/crawlspace. Seal it and heat it. Then you could freely and easily run and access infloor heating, infloor DC, and in floor electrical, all of which would be worth their weight in gold to me. Also, welcome to muskoka!
                        Not to mention lots of storage space!

Comment

Woodstove for all of your mistakes.
                          nnieman likes this.
                          • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Doug G View Post

Not to mention lots of storage space!
                            True! And if excavation would cost too much, he could always just do a block or ICF knee wall and just have the entire shop raised up a couple feet off the ground. Build a ramp up to the loading door, and you're golden. Though obviously excavated would look better.

Comment

Originally posted by redlee View Post
                              Woodstove for all of your mistakes.
                              HaHa, that's what I need, destroy the evidence..............Rod.
                              Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Working...
                              X