Help with shop layout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with shop layout

Due to some recent life changes I find myself in the middle of a new home build and therefore a new shop. I'm building a raised bungalow with the master bedroom above the garage so technically a 2 story. The basement is a walkout with a nice view to a green space (it's in the city so I'm very fortunate). My current shop is a rectangular one (mostly) that is about 33' x 27' although there is a 2' part of the 27' wide that is 35' long. It's about 920+/- square feet. Here's a few pictures of my current shop and a picture (I couldn't upload the scanned image, or get this one to rotate) of a preliminary layout that I quickly threw down on Grizzly's shop planning guide. If anyone has any suggestions to assist with the layout that would be appreciated. Then I can get the electrician to put the plugs in where they should go and not have to run long cords. I don't have any Grizzly equipment so I just used what I could find in their templates that matched the sizing of my equipment. I know I can get crucified for this but I'm seriously thinking of not installing the Clearview Cyclone and just doing what Christopher Schwarz does in his shop and have one (or two perhaps) small single bag units that he moves between machines when he needs to. That would save some space and also keep the noise down. The Clearview sounds like a couple 747's taking off when it is running.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Help with shop layout

if starting from scratch, why not make a sound deadening closet for the DC unit?
    I put mine in a spot that actually helped section off an area of my shop (for mechanical work) and since it's hidden in a closet I can still use it's walls for shelving.
    Gvax likes this.
    [insert something witty here]

Comment

I think you'll find that moving a small collector from machine to machine get's old fast. Been there. I have an Oneida V-5000 in a sound insulated room & it's not bad at all. You can easily carry on conversation without raising voices.
      Gvax likes this.

Comment

Your layout looks good to me.
        I like the windows.

No overhead door? All I see is one man door from a patio.

I would honestly keep the collector you already have, rather than selling it to get a lessor one.
        The bag collectors are okay but you would want to upgrade the filter anyway.

Nathan

Comment

I'd be tempted to stretch the "lumber storage" area so you can fit the DC unit in the corner. then you send one main duct line to the opposite corner and most everything can feed off it.

and Nathan is right regarding keeping what you have -vs- selling and buying new.
          selling nets you a loss in $$ on the clearvue, then you have to spend $$ replacing it, and as Nathan mentioned spend more $$ upgrading filters.
          [insert something witty here]

Comment

Remember that not every machine needs dust collection.
            I don't have it running to my lathe, drill press, mortise, scroll saw....

Otherwise my machines are grouped, to simplfy runs.
            2 tables saws, shaper andchop saw (with shop vac underneath) are 1 group.
            Jointer and planer are 2 group.
            Router table and stationary sanders are along the wall that the dust collector is on.

Nathan

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

No, no overhead door. Just a door 3' wide door and then an opening 1' sidelite so I can have 4' total width to get larger items in and out. I'm 85% sure I'll keep the Clearvue. My current shop I ran ABS drain pipe underground for all the machines but I'm going to go with overhead sheet metal duct on this one. I missed a few locations, or adjusted where the machine was going so that caused some problems with the dust collection and electrical that was also underground. All above this time makes it easier to correct for machine adjustments. I may have to put the dust collector in the corner and move the lumber storage over a few feet. It seems that's where they are going to put the electrical panel so I will need access to it in case a breaker pops at an inconvenient time...that and the lumber storage may partially block the window. The basement walls are poured so when it dries later tomorrow I can get in and take some better measurements.
              nnieman likes this.

Comment

Glen:

I suggest you keep your Clearview (you are just 15% away) for reasons stated by Tom.

In terms of noise, my son and I each own a CV1800; his is mounted on the wall; mine is in a closet. There is a significant difference in ambient noise levels. I just framed a box with 2x4, insulation and fibre panel. Does not take a lot of extra footprint. Should you choose to do so, you may wish to consider placing your air compressor in the closet as well.

As for connections to machines, I am using 6 inch PVC (longer run and elbows involved) , while he is using a flexible hose connected to a manifold built out of plywood. My impression (no scientific data to support it) is that his system has more CFM and suction (less static pressure I suppose), but more noise. I prefer the convenience of fixed connections.

Hope this helps!

J

Gvax likes this.

Comment

Working...
                X