Building my new (Timber Elegance) Studio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building my new (Timber Elegance) Studio

I am finally getting myself out of the basement and into a new workspace. I am not very good at recording things, but I will try to keep this updated as I go along.

With thanks and a shout out to Paolo (pmtottawa), for his work and help in designing it, I finally got permission from the township, and the project has started.
    The building will be 15'x30', laid on 6x6 beams and a gravel pad.

First step was to clear the area. It took a couple of weeks and and a lot of sweat equity. All the brush and non burning sized trees were mulched up to use on the trails through our back property. The Ash in the picture was dead and had to come down. A local guy I know with a mill took the bottom section which is 24" Diameter and about 8' long. Dead straight and clean. He is going to give me back a board so I can make a sign for my Studio.

We laid in some conduit underneath where the gravel will be poured, to accommodate running all my electrical out.
    Next came the gravel guy. Planned on Min 18" of 3" crushed, topped with 4" granular A. Due to a couple of calculation ooops on my part, we ended up closer to 26" total at the minimum. Because of the slope, the rear ended up over 30". Its all good though, I liked how it ended up closer to the level of the front driveway, it has a cleaner look. All total about 190 tons.

Next up, is to get my materials in and start building. Haven't decided yet if I will use vinyl siding or board and baton. Trying to find somewhere local that does the board and baton, to get a price. I am trying to keep it inexpensive, as this project has a rapidly expanding budget.

Hopefully I can keep things updated regularly.

This is the area befor the trees and brush get cleared out. Lots of clearing later. This was the largest tree we took out. Started bright and early in the morning. Drive came with the dozer from the gravel company. My wife trying her hand at the compactor. Looks good coming in from the driveway. This is the shot from the same angle as the first picture.
    Les Groeller, nugsthecat and 4 others like this.
    Darrin

Timber Elegance
    My Etsy Store
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Building my new (Timber Elegance) Studio

Good luck, sounds like a great project, i will be following along.
    darrin1200 likes this.
    www.solidwoodmachinery.com

Comment

Great start Darrin.
      I will be following, and then once done, I'll make an effort to stop by.

Noel
      darrin1200 likes this.
      "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
      'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
      "
      John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by beachburl View Post
        Great start Darrin.
        I will be following, and then once done, I'll make an effort to stop by.

Noel
        My door is always open.
        Darrin

Timber Elegance
        My Etsy Store

Comment

That looks like a great start to an exciting project. You should be able to get pine or hemlock boards for a dollar a square foot, much more appropriate than vinyl.
          Rob

Comment

Originally posted by darrin1200 View Post
            I am finally getting myself out of the basement and into a new workspace. I am not very good at recording things, but I will try to keep this updated as I go along.

With thanks and a shout out to Paolo (pmtottawa), for his work and help in designing it, I finally got permission from the township, and the project has started.
            The building will be 15'x30', laid on 6x6 beams and a gravel pad.

First step was to clear the area. It took a couple of weeks and and a lot of sweat equity. All the brush and non burning sized trees were mulched up to use on the trails through our back property. The Ash in the picture was dead and had to come down. A local guy I know with a mill took the bottom section which is 24" Diameter and about 8' long. Dead straight and clean. He is going to give me back a board so I can make a sign for my Studio.

We laid in some conduit underneath where the gravel will be poured, to accommodate running all my electrical out.
            Next came the gravel guy. Planned on Min 18" of 3" crushed, topped with 4" granular A. Due to a couple of calculation ooops on my part, we ended up closer to 26" total at the minimum. Because of the slope, the rear ended up over 30". Its all good though, I liked how it ended up closer to the level of the front driveway, it has a cleaner look. All total about 190 tons.

Next up, is to get my materials in and start building. Haven't decided yet if I will use vinyl siding or board and baton. Trying to find somewhere local that does the board and baton, to get a price. I am trying to keep it inexpensive, as this project has a rapidly expanding budget.

Hopefully I can keep things updated regularly.
            Darrin -- Looking real good. Just a question as I've never seen a pad built like that with gravel -- is anything required around the outside to keep the gravel edges where they are?? Would they not tend to wash out over time?? I'm only asking for my knowledge as I would like to know. TIA.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post

Darrin -- Looking real good. Just a question as I've never seen a pad built like that with gravel -- is anything required around the outside to keep the gravel edges where they are?? Would they not tend to wash out over time?? I'm only asking for my knowledge as I would like to know. TIA.
              Hi Wally

We were wondering the same thing, but I have heard two different answers. Some say over time it will erode, while others say it will not erode significantly. My wife and I are considering covering the banks in dirt and planting a ground cover.
              Darrin

Timber Elegance
              My Etsy Store

Comment

Originally posted by darrin1200 View Post

Hi Wally

We were wondering the same thing, but I have heard two different answers. Some say over time it will erode, while others say it will not erode significantly. My wife and I are considering covering the banks in dirt and planting a ground cover.
                What about throwing a few bags of polymer or Concrete sand around the base of the gravel first. It should harden and help lock it all together. I like the idea of putting dirt over and a ground cover. That would be great for a rock garden with small plants that don't require much upkeep or depth of soil.

Comment

I certainly would be concerned about the banks of that fill. If it was mine I would be building out around the perimeter with topsoil and landscaping as Wally suggested. The yearly frost / thaw cycle would not be kind to those exposed banks then add water run off.

Brian
                  If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Looks like a good start and I will follow along as well. Based on my experience I suggest you critically examine the trees close to the building. They will shade your natural light, pose a hazard from storm damage and fill up your gutters with leaves.

Comment

I work out of my 15 year old three-bay garage, which has a concrete slab on crushed stone foundation; I am not impressed with it at all. the stone does seem to wash out a bit around the perimeter, the floors are all badly cracked and uneven, and one year i had a groundhog keep burrowing in under it, i had to trap the animal and take off a few miles and release it, because no matter how many times i plugged the holes it would just dig new ones. I am certain that the groundhog burrow has not help the foundation at all as they can dig pretty extensive burrows. So if i were to build, i would deal with those issues. Preventing washout of the stones, by some kind of retaining method and preventing animals from burrowing, maybe by wire mesh screen all around.
                      www.solidwoodmachinery.com

Comment

Having heard you talk about it for several years Darrin, I’m excited to see you finally start construction. I would definitely do something to ensure that the base does not erode. It could lead to some heartache down the road. Some larger boulders mixed with natural soil would be my suggestion, with it all sloping down to grade. Best of luck and do keep up the commentary and pictures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

4" crushed stone should be fine as long as it is on solid, preferably bedrock base. How much bigger than 15x30 is the base?
                          Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post

What about throwing a few bags of polymer or Concrete sand around the base of the gravel first. It should harden and help lock it all together. I like the idea of putting dirt over and a ground cover. That would be great for a rock garden with small plants that don't require much upkeep or depth of soil.
                            That actually sounds like an idea Wally. What about spreading portland cement (not ready mix), mixing it into the gravel on the sides with a rake, and then hosing it down and letting it harden. That should alleviate any run off.
                            Darrin

Timber Elegance
                            My Etsy Store

Comment

Originally posted by dwoody View Post
                              Looks like a good start and I will follow along as well. Based on my experience I suggest you critically examine the trees close to the building. They will shade your natural light, pose a hazard from storm damage and fill up your gutters with leaves.
                              Hey Dennis.
                              We cleared all of the hazerdous trees from around it, including the dead ash in the photo. We are keeping the big pine just in front of it, as it offers the only shade to the workshop from the morning sun, and to the house from the afternoon sun.
                              Darrin

Timber Elegance
                              My Etsy Store

Comment

Working...
                              X