Mobile Base for Planer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Base for Planer

My Laguna Planer is listed as weighing 560 lbs. It is also listed as having an integral mobility kit. The mobility kit is 4 fixed wheels running parallel to the tables.
    I need greater maneuverability, so I started looking at mobile bases. In my search, I came across a couple of General International HoverPads. The weight capacity of the 29 inch x 29 inch model is 1200 lbs..
    My floor is 3-1/2 inch birch, so while it is smooth, it has all of the gaps you find in any hardwood installation.
    Does anyone have experience with the Hover Pad?
    Thanks,
    Don
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Mobile Base for Planer

No experiance with the hover pad Don,but I would be tempted to leave the rear wheels.or install larger ones on a axel so it only raises the machine about a inch, add feet to the front,and fabricate a drawbar with a couple large wheels,with a bracket for the front. It will give you maximum menouverability wth the least effort

Comment

I plan to make my General 130 more mobile and plan on using Rod's method. Already have the handle with wheels fabbed up. Suggest you look at his set up.
      Mike
      mike66 likes this.

Comment

I think Mike and I are saying the same thing.here is a picture of a planer I had a while ago with the axel,and if you look close you can see the bracket on the front made out of a piece of angle iron (it is oxide red,was lintel material) Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	1,004.2 KB
ID:	1203186

Comment

Yes Al and I are on the Same Page. Here is a photo wich shows a little more detail
          Mike

Comment

That is a sli+k moving setup!
            Egon
            from
            The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

I bought a pallet jack off kijiji

It moves everything in the shop with minimal effort - my 6 year old can lift and move my 20” general planer.

It cost less than a set of decent castors.

Nathan
              iamtooler likes this.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Rod’s design has been in my head for sometime.
                The reason I looked at the hover pad again was a) there were a couple at KMS in Edmonton, 2) repositioning when needed, pretty much in a 3’ x 4’ zone and I do not care for have the full weight sitting on the wheels.

I will likely go with one of the suggestions that involves 2 fixed wheels and a handle.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by Don Burch View Post
                  I will likely go with one of the suggestions that involves 2 fixed wheels and a handle.

Don
                  FWIW that is exactly what a pallet jigger is but you get a hydraulic lift built in. They can be cut down for specific uses or extended for others. You can get extra narrow models but not often second hand.
                  Rob
                  Don Burch likes this.

Comment

The Handle moving one could easily be set up so it sits solid but still has two wheels. Removable block under wheel end.
                    Egon
                    from

Comment

Originally posted by Egon View Post
                      The Handle moving one could easily be set up so it sits solid but still has two wheels. Removable block under wheel end.
                      It will sit solid on two wheels and two legs,no need for blocks

Comment

Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
                        It will sit solid on two wheels and two legs,no need for blocks
                        Just alternatives.
                        Egon
                        from

Comment

Well I am looking at pallet jack options. Being able to fine tune the height of the machine 3 to 5 inches might be advantageous.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by Egon View Post

Just alternatives.
                            sorry,I mis understood you. Alternative ideas are good

Comment

Al make sure you have room to use the lever. We Use the same system while moving heavy machinery too but you must be aware that you cannot get backed up against a wall or other impediment when positioning your machine so you are often limited to how close you can get to those impediments. For that reason I prefer a 3 wheel rolling base for some machines. I have had one under my saw for many years. I think it's a Delta and if I remember correctly about $150.00. It raises up on the single wheel by stepping on a pedal and rolls very easily and allows me to push the saw right up tight to a wall if I want, although I haven't moved it for years.
                              "Do it Right!"

Comment

Working...
                              X