Motorized router jig idea. need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorized router jig idea. need help

So I use a router sled jig to flatten boards larger then my planer capacity all the time. usaully i just flatten one board at a time. but i am going 4 med size boards at once.

Previous, i would either stand on one side and push the router back and forth, it it was wide i would knee on top of the table and work. this is quite straining on both accounts.

Today as i was working something clicked in my head and i realized that i could use a cable to help me pull the router back and forth. see the photo. and youtube of me working the jig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggut1Y6jekk

please keep in mind this video perceptive made the jig a lot smaller then it looks. my table base i am working on is 4' plus wide.

So whilst working i was thinking it would not be to hard to motorize this. i was thinking to set up something that would pull the router across stop then would be able to pull the router back. this would with with cables. as it would wind up one side it would unwind the other.

but i do not have the know how to set something like this up. then i was thinking use a garage door opener. i could easily figure out a way to make the full garage door cycle to line up with my table width. but i thought there might be some problems.

1. would it be able to pull strong enough. i would imagine the sensors that stop the motor from crushing cars and people are built into the system.
    2. what hp would be you think work? 1/2 hp is only 150 at Canadian tire right now.

if you have already set up a system like this please let me know.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Motorized router jig idea. need help

The normal way of doing a cable would be a drum on the router sled with a couple of turns of cable around it. It is then a capstan with the cable secured each end of the frame and will run back and forth as the capstan is reversed. You should buy a small gearhead motor from somewhere like the Surplus Center. Nowhere close to 1/2hp as the work accomplished is minimal for a motor.
    Rob

Comment

Sprocket and chain? Motor running forward then flick a switch and motor running in reverse? Or use a manual crank handle to give you more control.

Comment

An incline motor out of an old treadmill would work already wired for for/rev and have lots of torque plus theyre 120 so no transformers just a simple on-off-on toggle switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Groovin Rubin View Post
          An incline motor out of an old treadmill would work already wired for for/rev and have lots of torque plus theyre 120 so no transformers just a simple on-off-on toggle switch.
          that is a really good idea.

i have been looking at used garage openers on CL, right now i can pick something up for about around 50 bucks used. i haven't bit the bullet let but going to check out treadmills too see if there is a cheap one.

Comment

If you can,t find one for free or cheap let me know and ill ship one out to you Jim

Comment

A garage door opener would probably move the router too fast, personally I think you would be best off designing something with a manual crank.
              Rusty likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by John-in-Abbotsford View Post
                A garage door opener would probably move the router too fast, personally I think you would be best off designing something with a manual crank.
                The garage door opener's speed is simply a matter of the diameter of the pulley and belt. But, even by reducing it with a smaller belt pulley, 1750 rpm is waaaay too fast and far more power than neeeded or even useable in size. However, the opener's relay system to stop and reverse the door etc, could be what you need. Ideally, a smaller motor might be obtained thorough someone like McMaster Carr.

Ideally, I would check for a slow speed, fractional H.P. motor and consider salvaging the worm drive relay stops from a defunct door opener if available. One such source is a motor from a solar hot water system which runs at a half-dozen rpm to drive the slow flowing piump circulating the water through the panels. Sorry I didn't keep my motor(s) but they would appear perfect in speed, in power, and physical size.
                Last edited by Woodwreck; 10-17-2018, 10:56 AM.
                Start slow; wind down gracefuilly

Comment

Without going to great lengths any bicycle chain hand or power driven is the easiest probably and a hand power pedal would work, as would a small motor. The manual crank would appeal to me as John mentions.
                  "Do it Right!"

Comment

12 volt car window motor, lots of torque and slow and cheap. Same type of motor is used in power awnings on rv's and trailers. Mechanisms break but the motor is usually fine but the whole unit needs to be replaced. Goto an rv place and ask if they are throwing any out.
                    Steve The Drill Sergeant
                    Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

Keeping it simple is often the best solution, perhaps a treaded rod (acme thread) and a hand crank would be the solution.

Comment

Following on my comment above, McMaster has 12 and 24 volt low speed, high torque, motors such as others suggest directly above, for $63.

https://www.mcmaster.com/motors.

You will need the reversing circuitry and relays from a scrapped door opener or similar to enable it to reverse at the end of each run and run back in the other direction.
                        Start slow; wind down gracefuilly

Comment

Why not go all out with a unit from cncrouterparts.com?

If you checkout Paul Lemiski's Canadianwoodworks Instagram videos you can see his in action.
                          I am sure these machines are easily scaleable.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by phillcheung View Post

that is a really good idea.

i have been looking at used garage openers on CL, right now i can pick something up for about around 50 bucks used. i haven't bit the bullet let but going to check out treadmills too see if there is a cheap one.
                            Maybe this one? https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/...726070076.html

Comment

Here's a table lift I made for my drill press out of a trailer jack and 12 volt window/awning motor. I think you could make what you want using basically the same parts.

Steve The Drill Sergeant
                              Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                              X