Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heaters and Heat Sources.

Originally posted by Egon View Post
    Insulation and vapour barrier are for sure the way to go.

note: there have been many an Alberta house,garage, shed, school etc. Heated by coal/wood fires over many years with nary an interior rain shower. in fact the interiors were quite dry. Wool socks and plank floors made for many a shock.
    Egon if your comment is in relation to my comment regarding condensation, freezing and the rain forest I described above let me clear up any misunderstanding. My description described a new home structure with no insulation and no vapour barrier. Yours I think, since you mention in your first comment that insulation and VB are for sure the way to go, that your description is involving structures with both VB and insulation. Applications as different as night and day. Having said that let me add that different heat sources will deliver less or more moisture to the air. BTW we don't know what type of heat the OP will ultimately have, but to continue, wood will supply less moisture than many other sources of heat such as temporary construction heaters. One of the worst was coal oil heaters. Another was propane. Neither of which are anything more than temporary heat sources and could literally kill you from the fumes without lots of fresh air. The key word for us is temporary!
    "Do it Right!"

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I was referring to no vapour barrier or insulation which was the case in many Prairie buildings of the past. ( it should have been mentioned in my post )

Your last comments seem to differ radically from those first made?

Egon
      from
      The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Thanks everyone i think i jumped the shark on this big time. Possibly to eager to stay busy this winter. I think i definitely need to get it insulated and finished. Cart nefore the horse i think. So ill just close the door on the heating thing for now. The quickest simplest way to keep it warm as it is now is electricly or something (someone mentioned propane or kerosene but they seem like not great the safest options) and where it is unfinished and three roof vents to the outside put in earlier this year i may just as well burn a stack of five dollar bills for warmth.🤣🤣🤣😞

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Kayak Jim likes this.
        https://therecordingrebels.com/

Comment

Egon,

That's not the case at all. I mentioned my experiences. If they differ from yours that's not my concern. If you have concerns about the validity of my comments speak to the moderators and be prepared to prove your points, whatever they are. Hopefully they understand condensation better than you seem to. All I can say is if they don't understand cold surfaces and warm air causing condensation we're all in trouble with the prevalent knowledge. Seems to me someone is always warning about surface rust on tool surfaces caused by warm air and cold surfaces and you don't seem to complain about that.
          "Do it Right!"

Comment

Best check your comments again. They do speak for themselves and are quite clear.

You do not know what the extent of my knowledge of fluids is!
            Egon
            from

Comment

I have been transplanted in grande prairie for 10 years. I came here by way of the Annapolis Valley Nova Scotia (I left when i was 29) and i have seen what rusty is talking about in my brothers old house in GP. I hadn't ever seen it before back east? I don't think we have such radical temp swings on the east coast. We had a week or two of really mild temps and alot of fog, haze mist in the dead of winter and then over night the temps dropped off to the typical January February -40 -50 C chill and all that moisture froze in his attic and when it warmed up a month or so later he had a real mess on his hands. it was pouring buckets out of his attic hatch.

I don't wantto have that happen in my garage so whatever iend up doing i need to avoid those situations but in that one instance at my brothers house i think it was unavoidable?
              https://therecordingrebels.com/

Comment

Best check your comments again. They do speak for themselves and are quite clear.

You do not know what the extent of my knowledge of fluids is!
                Is it a major problem for you to just say what's on your mind without playing your quiz games?
                "Do it Right!"

Comment

Okay, you try and change what you said and attempt to bully anyone who disagrees.

Now, did you note what you said in your original post and are you going to dispute you did not say it?

Again how about backing up your comment with facts on my lack of knowledge on fluids!
                  Egon
                  from

Comment

OK children,

The appendage measuring is over. Let's try to get back on topic in a manner that benefits the OP ..... please?

Thank you.

cheers
                    Egon likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeyJack77 View Post
                      I have been transplanted in grande prairie for 10 years. I came here by way of the Annapolis Valley Nova Scotia (I left when i was 29) and i have seen what rusty is talking about in my brothers old house in GP. I hadn't ever seen it before back east? I don't think we have such radical temp swings on the east coast. We had a week or two of really mild temps and alot of fog, haze mist in the dead of winter and then over night the temps dropped off to the typical January February -40 -50 C chill and all that moisture froze in his attic and when it warmed up a month or so later he had a real mess on his hands. it was pouring buckets out of his attic hatch.

I don't wantto have that happen in my garage so whatever iend up doing i need to avoid those situations but in that one instance at my brothers house i think it was unavoidable?
                      I grew up in an uninsulated non vapour barrier house in Alberta. Never was I subjected to moisture drips or any other moisture related problems. Never heard of anyone having moisture problems. And yes, there were weather periods as you have described.

Ice dams can occur but those are the result of other problems which involve vapour barrier and insulation.
                      Egon
                      from

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post
                        OK children,

The appendage measuring is over. Let's try to get back on topic in a manner that benefits the OP ..... please?

Thank you.

cheers

Egon
                        from

Comment

Insulation and vapour barrier are for sure the way to go.

note: there have been many an Alberta house,garage, shed, school etc. Heated by coal/wood fires over many years with nary an interior rain shower. in fact the interiors were quite dry. Wool socks and plank floors made for many a shock.
                          Regarding the rain showers, I think it was in regard to having vapor barrier but no insulation and it's true. I heated my shop a bit with propane and had no insulation and only plastic on the walls and ceiling. It got wet, not a tropical rain forest but surprisingly wet and then it froze.
                          Steve The Drill Sergeant
                          Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by schor View Post

Regarding the rain showers, I think it was in regard to having vapor barrier but no insulation and it's true. I heated my shop a bit with propane and had no insulation and only plastic on the walls and ceiling. It got wet, not a tropical rain forest but surprisingly wet and then it froze.
                            That is likely going to vary greatly with the choice of heat source I imagine? Someone heating with propane and open flame (eg:Mr Heater style high efficiency heaters) will have way more moisture in their environment than someone who heats with electricity ?

Comment

Yes, that will happen with propane or gas. Was your heater vented?
                              Egon
                              from

Comment

Paint is a Liquid. When applied to a wall or ceiling it becomes an excellent vapour barrier and oil base paint is an even better vapour barrier than water base paints of the same era.
                                "Do it Right!"

Comment

Working...
                                X