Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heaters and Heat Sources.

Hello Forum.

As i find myself enjoying more hands on shop projects my wife has sadly kicked me out of the basement now that it is 'livable" and into the garage. I still would like to keep working through the winter but rumor has it power tools and and finishing materials like wood glue, stain, and other aerosols don't love to cure in sub zero temps . I live in Grande Prairie, Alberta and my garage roof/ ceiling in my garage is not insulated or finished so it stays pretty sub zero most of the winter.

The logical thing would be to insulate, ventilate, finish and install a gas heater into this little garage but financially that is just way to out there until i win that 60 million.

Anyone else out there with a shop like this? How do you heat it? What is a good cost effective short term heating solution to keep my going. I understand my heat will largely be flying out of the roof vents but if i want to do a bit of work out there this winter i'd like to come up with something so i am not forced to wait until spring for the nicer weather.

https://therecordingrebels.com/
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Heaters and Heat Sources.

I guess the question is are you looking to keep it warm with a thermostat all the time, or just have it comfortable while you’re working in it.
    I don’t have anywhere near the same situation as you, I moved in to a place with a brand new fully insulated shop, but it also had no heat. So I put a wood stove in, a friend of mine had an old one kicking around he gave me and it cost me a few hundred bucks to buy chimney piping.
    Now I don’t know how insurance companies are out in Alberta but I just installed mine myself and didn’t tell the insurance about it, but I only use it while I’m there so I’m not too worried.
    Otherwise it’s nice heat and depending on what you build you can just burn your cutoffs for free. And as far as curing in the warmth if I have something that needs to cure overnight I’ll just do my work for the day and then bring it in the house overnight.

Hope this helps

You can see my stove in the corner here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WhiskeyJack77 likes this.

Comment

Before I worried about heating it I'd make sure it was as well insulated as it can be. Buying heat is expensive and gets more expensive the colder it is. Saving heat only costs you once and the thicker the insulation the more you save. Put in as much insulation in as you can, then put in as many windows on the sunny side as you can. Then it's a matter of finding the cheapest heat source.
      schor and WhiskeyJack77 like this.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. the more i think about insulating, even if i just cover it with some plastic vapor barrier is the most logical first step. I'll keep an eye on this thread and give it more thought.
        schor likes this.
        https://therecordingrebels.com/

Comment

I started a lengthy thread last year about shop heating. Lots of people chimed in with useful input. It might be worth looking at for your issues. The update is here but it has a link to the original as well.

https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...erience-update
          Last edited by John Bartley; 11-05-2018, 04:06 PM. Reason: fixed link

Comment

You have no choice. You can't heat it. Any heat you make in there will condense on the underside of your roof sheathing and freeze. If you install a vapour barrier it will condense on the vapour barrier and freeze on the underside of the vapour barrier, Then you heat it all up again and the ice thaws and you will be working in a rain forest. To do anything constructive you must put up vapour barrier and dry wall on the ceiling. Then pump in as much cellulose as you can afford in the attic space above the vapour barrier. With that in mind install access to the attic space. Blown in cellulose is pretty cheap BTW. Vapour barrier is dirt cheap and drywall ain't expensive either. It does not have to be taped.

Now you can put heat in there. Obviously it ain't ideal but it's the minimum you can and must do before heat.

BTW folks Grand Prairie is as cold or colder than Edmonton and no arguments will be accepted here because I've been there building houses in Edmonton when we had to suffer through the rain forest to get the house through the mechanical rough in stage ready for the drywall and a lot depends on the prevailing temperatures at the time.
            "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Redbull1989 View Post
              Hope this helps

You can see my stove in the corner here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Now that is my idea of a comfortable shop! I guess the fridge is behind the photographer.
              Rob

Comment

Ive been running overhead natural gas radiant heat for in my 460 square-foot garage shop at 30,000 BTU for about two years. I absolutely love it but I wanna put in a metal blade fan.

I was absolutely convinced overhead radiant would be the number one (opposed to floor radiant). My garage shop is about 90% Metal work. With the other 10% being woodworking. I fully considered using hot Dang but I dont like hot air flow. So after two years I might implement a variable speed ceiling fan with my overhead radiant 30,000 BTU tube heater.

my basement shop/home/Water is heated off of NG and substituted completely with wood. I have what is called is a thermal syphon system. I do need electricity for the system to work at full bore, or hot water is just dumped down the dream. At 72C the fan turns on. 92C the water just pours down the drain. At 102C there is steam valve which goes down the drain too.

My last wood shop just used a airtight. I now consider it a hobby to burn wood. NG keeps me where I wanna be at the flick of a switch or thermostat.

My garage shop I went through many steps. 1500 W toaster heater, then I added another 1500 W toaster, then I added a 5000 W shop heater. Then I added to insulated garage doors.... then I added more insulation The 30,000 BTU overhead radiant . My last step is to add the fan and some vapour barrier.

more insulation as always your friend.
                Last edited by Matt Matt; 11-05-2018, 11:49 PM.
                For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
                Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Matt haven't you got an air cleaner. Plenty of fan in there. why would you need another fan.

BTW I have no clue what your 3rd paragraph is describing.

Are you suggesting you have no vapour barrier in either of your shops? Shame on you.
                  "Do it Right!"

Comment

I'd be interested in a more complete description of your system too Matt. And photos. Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                      Matt haven't you got an air cleaner. Plenty of fan in there. why would you need another fan.

BTW I have no clue what your 3rd paragraph is describing.

Are you suggesting you have no vapour barrier in either of your shops? Shame on you.
                      No, I dont have Air cleaner.

In one spot in my shop garage there wasnt any vapour barrier ever. It had a sheet of drywall hiding roof trust, and no insulation. I have since added insulation.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	3C1F058D-B670-42B6-9EE7-B41B93880639.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	1207793Click image for larger version

Name:	DABE8713-F496-456F-8E44-0427C689EDD4.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	3.08 MB
ID:	1207794
                      Last edited by Matt Matt; 11-06-2018, 10:56 AM.
                      For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
                      Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Matt I have seen the outside of your house and if I remember properly there is living space above the garage.You have a couple of interesting issues going on in that insulated area and you need to be cautious regarding the position of the vapour barrier. The side vertical wall is probably an outside wall of a room above. If so the vb is already in place on the warm side of that room. Don't double it up. The sloped part I assume is the underside of a roof and air flow is a must from the soffit over the insulation. Not sure why you opened that space up but it would have been easier to board and insulate on the flat, as it was, with the board you removed. You need airflow behind the pink insulation as well and you may have that now. A lot of your warmth is sitting up there. Nuff said.
                        "Do it Right!"

Comment

When I built my tiny shop (12 x 20) I insulated the wood floors. I now have it all insulated with Roxul, finished it this year. I still have to put electricity to it and I am debating on NG for a small furnace. My other option, since the space is small, and pretty well insulated, is to go with a propane furnace. The kind you find in a big RV or 5th wheel. It will all depend on what I can get for what price, including accounting for running the NG pipe. For the time being I use a tank top propane heater, but I have to have the windows cracked for ventilation.
                          More stuff of mine at:
                          http://watertoneworkshop.blogspot.ca/

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5...xPoVDV61AxUdUA

Comment

Insulation and vapour barrier are for sure the way to go.

note: there have been many an Alberta house,garage, shed, school etc. Heated by coal/wood fires over many years with nary an interior rain shower. in fact the interiors were quite dry. Wool socks and plank floors made for many a shock.
                            Egon
                            from
                            The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

I finally decided on my heating source for my new shop. I am going with the Ouellet Ceiling mount 5k watt model. I spoke to my local heating guys, and we discussed a few options. His opinion, is that in floor heating is best for a wood shop, but it is expensive. When I told him the cost of this electric unit, he said it is probably my most cost effective means of heating my space. If I find, down the road, it doesnt work, I can look into something else and Im out less than $1K.

Darrin

Timber Elegance
                              My Etsy Store

Comment

Working...
                              X