Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop layout ideas.

Hi all, first post here.
    I've got an older out building at our recent newer home. It was an original wood storage shed. I've added onto the backside for wood storage, so have a bit of blank canvas to try set up a workshop. Its a bit of an odd size, interior dimensions 23'x11'. only has a large rough opening for a garage door on front of building. Looking for all ideas, input, such as, keeping the garage door (putting in the door)? a man door? windows? electrical layout? shop/tool layout? This will be my first shop, so dont have those other ones to know what I do and do not like.

attached is sketch of the top view.
    thanks for your time

jamie
    Attached Files
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Shop layout ideas.

Grizzly website has the shop layout tool, very helpful for getting an idea of how much room machines need, and figuring out where they can go.
    [insert something witty here]

Comment

A couple of points to get the discussion rolling. What type of work will you be doing and what equipment will be used? This influences the overall design, electrics, garage door decision and lots more. Are you planning on insulating the space and what type of heat makes sense for you? What is the floor? If you answer these questions there will be many opinions forthcoming for you.

Comment

Ill check out grizzly site, thanks.

Near future, this shop will be used for more 'hobby' like projects, I am a local contractor, renovator, so will get used for whatever projects/pieces those jobs might bring in, rather than setting up on jobsite or in my carport for those projects that require a "shop". Right now, I do not have any sort of 'shop' equipment. Will just be using all my mobile stuff, ie; portable table saw and mitre saw. It will be a slow process to start to collect those specific shop tools, but do hope to get a planer, and jointer sooner than later.

The space currently has old 2x10 for plank flooring. Plan is to take that all out, prep and run lines, pour a slab for infloor radiant heat via my outdoor wood boiler. (Could also add in a water to air shop fan unit) Will also be insulating the space. Its a shed style roof front to back, so the ceiling height inside is about 11' to 9', front to back.

Comment

Keep the big door & add a man door on the other end on either side??. Set you tools at a standard heigh so you can have a full length work bench. Place the saw’s so that a full 8 ft. Sheet can be cut up inside. Designate an area as assembly site. Be aware material storage may encroach on the wood shed.

Make a few plans for contemplation..
          Egon
          from
          The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

I just built a 11x28 shop for what it's worth... Check out my profile for a link to my build thread.

I can recommend a few things - keep your tools on mobile carts for one thing, and your assembly table too. I had an 8x14 shop and was able to build a 7' long credenza in it because I could rotate my saw for long or short cuts.

If you're building everything from scratch, target a height of around 34" for every horizontal surface - this is the typical height of a tablesaw and will mean that your various surfaces can act as infeed/outfeed support no matter where your saw / jointer / planer end up.

I'm still in the process of updating my thread - tonight I will try to put up my space-efficient lumber an plywood/scrap rack... It might be useful for you to see! I'll come back here and post some links too, I have a number of small shop resources that will be useful and a bunch of links that helped me out... And if you're in the market for a tablesaw/router combo take a look at my swap meet thread!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

As promised!

First off here's my build thread, updated with my space-efficient lumber rack and plywood storage. To your question about doors - I literally just built 3'6" x 7'0" walls with 2x4s and hinged them. So far, so good - I'll probably add hinges when I (eventually) insulate and sheath them on the inside, but that's low on the priority list.
              https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...0-garage-build

I think it's nice to have a window where your main workbench will be, and more if you can swing it. I did three small ones and sometimes I wish I did less because blank walls are easier for flexible layouts! For your electrical, make all of your circuits 20A and run lots of 240V circuits too. "Setting up shop" by Sandor Nagyszalanczy is a great resource for this, and there are a number of threads on the forums regarding wiring a shop. I set ALL of my outlets around 50-52" off the floor so that they're easily accessible, can't get blocked by carts, and you can even lay a sheet of plywood up against the wall and not block them. However, I wish I had put regular height outlets as well, because now that I have a spot for my main workbench I want power UNDER it so I can hide my compressor and vacuum. I didn't do it, initially, because the electrical inspector treated my high outlets as kitchen outlets and capped me at two boxes per circuit. Sooner rather than later I'll be adding some lower wall boxes into each circuit.

Some stuff I saved while I was poking around the web for ideas:

Here's a nice, tiny and well-organized shop. Note the rolling carts:
              http://lumberjocks.com/griph0n/workshop

Another version of a roll-away workshop
              http://www.startwoodworking.com/post/roll-away-workshop

Here's a useful post by a FOG member who, upon me querying him, was kind enough to post his plans for his rolling carts, which are great.
              http://festoolownersgroup.com/festoo...938/#msg552938

A terrific tiny shop - 12 x 18.
              https://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/sho...ames-man-cave/

One of my favorite shop tours - this guy has really maximized his space. Again - everything is on a cart. He has drawers for days, but even his upper cabinets are well thought out... and I love his idea to hang his compressor and oxy canister on the wall.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diYQ4bRONzI

What you will find, I suspect, is that as long as your tools are mobile now you will develop your layout based on the work you do. I had never thought, for instance, about a drying rack - but after finishing my first set of cabinet pieces (for what else, a rolling shop cart) I realized that I really need one. I still haven't made one, but I found this and I'll probably copy it because it's perfect for a small shop - folds up and the PVC racks pop out and can get stored in a box. This guy (who is awesome) has a similar take based on festool domino mortises.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Working...
              X