Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advise on transporting 8" Jointer upstairs.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise on transporting 8" Jointer upstairs.

I have been contemplating upgrading to a 8" Jointer for some time now. I am having difficulty fighting the urge and might have an opportunity to buy a clean Delta DJ 20. My issue is that my shop is on the second floor of my garage which creates a bit of difficulty lifting heavy machinery up 15 steps.

The unisaw I managed with a 2 friends without to much difficulty, however my buddies might disagree The 15" planer wasn't to bad lifting it with two 2x4s clamped down between the table and head. The 8" jointer has me concerned though.

The DJ 20 is roughly 500lbs assembled. I would definitely detach the base so likely loose 60 lb since the motor is in the base. The fence and its support likely another 50lbs. That still leaves me with a 400lb jointer bed. I know you cant lift by the tables, so that leaves me with the option of either disassembling the in/out feed tables, or???

Has anyone tried to mount longer 2x4's to the base of the jointer bed to have something to hold on to while lifting?

what have others done?

Dave
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Advise on transporting 8" Jointer upstairs.

Don’t really have much specifics to offer you for the jointer, but I have helped way too many people move and have learned that a good heavy duty dolly is your best friend when stairs are involved.

Colin
    schor likes this.

Comment

Depends entirely on what the top of the stairs looks like. Whenever possible it is best to bolt a machine to a couple of 2x4s and skid it up using a come-along. You could probably lift under the tables close to the base but not out at the end. A strong guy with proper straps over his shoulder should be able to lift one riser at a time with somebody below to hold it while he backs up another step.
      Rob
      schor likes this.

Comment

Flip over and slide it up on plywood.
        I had one and I dont think its as heavy as you state.
        schor likes this.
        • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Planks on the stairs and a pry bar or come along.
          schor likes this.
          Egon
          from
          The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

My advise is to be really careful, do not spill your beer while watching someone slide it up some planks/plywood with a comealong, so mostly like the others said, I just got into a bit more details.
            Steve The Drill Sergeant
            Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

It does weigh 500 lbs. I use a 2ft by 6 ft piece of 3/4” plywood with a hole on one end and a 2” truckers strap to slide heavy stuff up stairs. One pulling one pushing. Strip off the base, motor and fence. Flip the planer and strap it onto the plywood face side down. That’s where all the weight it. I pulled a 17 cu ft upright freezer by myself. It wasn’t 500 pounds though.
              Me: How do you spell “apathy”?
              Reply: Who cares!

Comment

Just don't lift it by the beds.

Comment

Thanks for all the advise. as stated above, I think flipping the bed upside down, laying it on a piece of plywood and pulling it up the stairs with a chain hoist or similar device would do the trick.

Now I need to decide if I want to buy this DJ 20 or wait for something a bit more current and not discontinued.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

500 pounds is nothing.

As others have said, put a couple of 2 X 6"s on the stairs and skid it up with a winch or tugger.

My shop cat and I have moved saw/shapers into the basement without any help.

The trick is to work smart, don't lift anything heavier than a coffee mug by hand.............Rod.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B3 009.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	1214755
                    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 12-21-2018, 09:21 AM.
                    Egon likes this.
                    Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Working...
                    X