Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im doing it, Lifting an 8” jointer to second floor, the safer way.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im doing it, Lifting an 8” jointer to second floor, the safer way.

Well I made the plunge and bought a Delta DJ 20 despite the challenge of needing to lift it up to the second floor of my garage. I did some searching and put on my thinking hat on trying to come up with a safe and smart way to lift it upstairs. Lifting it in one piece was out of the question so I took it apart, built a crate and the photos will tell the rest..

curiosity got got the better of me and I had to weigh the parts. The bed weighs 265lbs , the base with motor 105lbs, the fence 60lbs, Id say the rabbit support piece, guard and base panels might add up to another 15 - 20lbs. So its weighs in at 450lbs +/- a few lbs.

Some will likely say I should not have lifted the bed by the tables, but I could not see any other safe way so I lifted it by the tables but as close to the main frame as I could. It was a quick up and down so I hope that it didnt tweak anything out of alignment.

I will add a few other photos later.
    Last edited by rangerdave1; 12-27-2018, 02:45 PM.
    Wally in Calgary and schor like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Im doing it, Lifting an 8” jointer to second floor, the safer way.

beachburl and Wally in Calgary like this.

Comment

Anythings easy with some thought and planning , looks good.
      • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Mechanical advantage vs brute strength.
        Egon
        from
        The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Looks good to me.
          Steve The Drill Sergeant
          Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

Show that to my wife but be prepared to run. LOL
            "Do it Right!"

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

It is said necessiciy is the mother of invention.
              i unloaded my Felder cf531 by myself,over 2000 lbs.determiniation and a bit of thinking goes a long way

Comment

I often wonder who is going to sort "it" all out when we are gone, I have been watching an old fellow I know clearing out his man cave of many years as he prepares to down size and that is all at ground level?????

Comment

Congrats for coming up with a system that resulted in a safe and damage free move.

Incidentally, I've used this same method to move all sorts of vintage machines weighing over 1,000 lbs, in both directions, via the stairway adjoining the garage and my basement shop.
                  All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

Working...
                  X