Mobile tool bases

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile tool bases

What should I be looking for in a mobile tool base?
    I want to put a bunch of my tools on these but I dont know what makes one better then another aside from weight capacity and configurable sizes.
    What else?
    Some must move more easily then others; any way to know which ones, other then word-of-mouth?

-Jeff

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Mobile tool bases

I assume you mean so you can roll your table saw etc. around the shop.

Important to be able to lock the wheels so the machine won't roll while being used.

Comment

Hi, I always use the semi live skid design.

Extremely inexpensive, works for any capacity, only raises the machine 1/4" off the floor and the machine is immobilized as soon as you release the tow bar........Rod.
      M.McKenna, nnieman and mikeddd like this.
      Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
        Hi, I always use the semi live skid design.

Extremely inexpensive, works for any capacity, only raises the machine 1/4" off the floor and the machine is immobilized as soon as you release the tow bar........Rod.
        I think I know what you mean, Rod, but can you give an example of a commercial product which fits this design so I'm entirely confident that I understand your suggestion.

Thanks,
        Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by carbonBased View Post
          I think I know what you mean, Rod, but can you give an example of a commercial product which fits this design so I'm entirely confident that I understand your suggestion.

Thanks,
          Jeff

Hi, this video will illustrate it at 0.54 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Nhq5swos8

You can convert any machine to this system very simply.

Tip the machine back and put a 3/4" block under each corner of the machine to raise it off the floor.

I suggest that you use 4 or 6" solid wheels, not rubber tire wheels. Purchase wheels with a 1/2" bore for machines up to about 800 pounds, use 5/8" above that. I normally buy roller bearing wheels.

Using a step bit, drill the axle hole so that the wheel raises the machine 1/4" above the floor.

Cut the axle to length, drill a hole at each end for a cotter pin, put a flat washer on eache side of the wheel and assemble it on the machine.

For the fixed end, machines often have a hole in the corner for an adjustable foot, usually 1/2" bolt. Install one at each corner that doesn't have a wheel, adjust to correct height.

Buy or make a tow bar, very simple, now you're done. One tow bar fits every machine in your shop.

Here's the one I made for my brother, note the hot pink handle bar streamers, all the hip wood workers have those.

The feet and tow bar bracket are a piece of 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 angle., note the feet are outside the saw base to increase stability, not needed on more square machines..........Rod.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Happy Owner.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.11 MB ID:	1216897Click image for larger version  Name:	In The Van.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1,005.2 KB ID:	1216898
          Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

I bought a pallet jack from kijiji.
            For the price of 3 heavy duty castors from tsc.

My 6 year old can lift and move around my general 330 planer (just under 2000lbs).

It works great if you have the room to store it.

Nathan
            M.McKenna likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by nnieman View Post

My 6 year old can lift and move around my general 330 planer (just under 2000lbs).

Nathan
              As it can be stored under a machine this is not a huge deal.
              Rob
              nnieman likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

Hi, this video will illustrate it at 0.54 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Nhq5swos8

You can convert any machine to this system very simply.

Tip the machine back and put a 3/4" block under each corner of the machine to raise it off the floor.

I suggest that you use 4 or 6" solid wheels, not rubber tire wheels. Purchase wheels with a 1/2" bore for machines up to about 800 pounds, use 5/8" above that. I normally buy roller bearing wheels.

Using a step bit, drill the axle hole so that the wheel raises the machine 1/4" above the floor.

Cut the axle to length, drill a hole at each end for a cotter pin, put a flat washer on eache side of the wheel and assemble it on the machine.

For the fixed end, machines often have a hole in the corner for an adjustable foot, usually 1/2" bolt. Install one at each corner that doesn't have a wheel, adjust to correct height.

Buy or make a tow bar, very simple, now you're done. One tow bar fits every machine in your shop.

Here's the one I made for my brother, note the hot pink handle bar streamers, all the hip wood workers have those.

The feet and tow bar bracket are a piece of 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 angle., note the feet are outside the saw base to increase stability, not needed on more square machines..........Rod.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Happy Owner.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.11 MB ID:	1216897Click image for larger version  Name:	In The Van.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1,005.2 KB ID:	1216898
                Thanks Rod; this is what I thought you mean.
                Even more thankful for the DIY details; this could work out very well!

-Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by nnieman View Post

Nathan
                  Interesting; never thought about that. Maneuvering a pallet jack from machine to machine could be tricky in my limited shop space, but it also adds another versatile tool to the shop; something to think about.

-Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by carbonBased View Post
                    Interesting; never thought about that. Maneuvering a pallet jack from machine to machine could be tricky in my limited shop space, but it also adds another versatile tool to the shop; something to think about.

-Jeff

I used to leave mine under the 1900 lb planer with the handle tilted off to the side. Never in the way.
                    Erik

Canada's Island Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

i have the shop fox under my two most awkward machines, 550? lb planer and 350? lb saw, guessing at the weights

they roll easily on my laminate flooring in the garage/shop, holding up really well so far, 5 years or more

they are a "drop centre", the actual tool base is probably 1/2 inch off the floor. easy to adjust for different sized machines

got them at busy bee
                      my shop is a beaver lodge
                      steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Originally posted by stevem View Post
                        i have the shop fox under my two most awkward machines, 550? lb planer and 350? lb saw, guessing at the weights

they roll easily on my laminate flooring in the garage/shop, holding up really well so far, 5 years or more

they are a "drop centre", the actual tool base is probably 1/2 inch off the floor. easy to adjust for different sized machines

got them at busy bee
                        I ordered one yesterday from Amazon for my drill press. I have one under my Sawstop but I never move it anymore. It is a good base though.
                        Cheers
                        Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post

I ordered one yesterday from Amazon for my drill press. I have one under my Sawstop but I never move it anymore. It is a good base though.
                          I assume you mean the one which uses cam levers to engage the wheels? (I've seen some the use manually twisted screws to engage the wheels which seems painful).

Had anyone tried the one lee valley offers?

Seems decent;
                          http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...4013&cat=1,240

-Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by ErikM View Post

I used to leave mine under the 1900 lb planer with the handle tilted off to the side. Never in the way.
                            Yeah, I'm not worried about storage but I am a bit worried about navigating it around the narrow passageways of my shop, to the next machine.

Also, having every tool on a skid may increase the footprint of a few of my tools.

I love the idea of it, but I'm not sure if it'll work for me.

-Jeff

Comment

i have one of the lever/cam operated stands as well, i have to use a pry bar under the stand to lift the stand then use the lever. but to be fair that stand has a big cabinet/bench with 3 small tools on it(4 inch jointer, 1/4 hp buffer and beaver belt/disc sander, plus 20 or so long clamps. it is not the lee valley one, it came with a tool i bought used.

i never use the screw in "jacks" on the shop fox stands, they stay put just fine. but they are not painful to use at all
                              my shop is a beaver lodge
                              steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Working...
                              X