Garage or basement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage or basement?

Hello everyone, I am new here. Sorry if this has been posted before, but I have a been trying to figure out how my workshop should be setup. I have been fiddling with wood working for over a year now and have a small dewalt table saw, a bench top planer and jointer, and a router for “larger power tools”. My next purchase I am planning on is a bandsaw. It would be the most money I have spent yet I have been looking at the Rikon 10-326. Anyways all the tools I mentioned above are currently in the garage. The garage is a two car garage and I get to use half of it during the winter and more during the other months as my wife wants to park the van in the garage.
    My question is where should I set up shop?
    the garage is attached with the master bedroom above, noise hasn’t been an issue. But what concerns me about continuing to use the garage is changes in temperature and humidity. Both for tools and workpieces. I live inOttawa and the garage is not insulated. I have thought about the basement as well, there is definitely enough room in the furnace room, the advantages being the environment is more consistent with temp and humidity. Our furnace is forced air though and I would be concerned about dust. Especially seeing how much is put out by my tools in the garage, forgot to mention I have a rigid shop vacuum which I am using for DC. We also have central vac which we don’t use but I don’t know how that would work for DC. Anyways, I am wondering what you guys think? I want to save money and try and have a good workflow too. Does it make sense to try and control the garage environment via insulation/humidity etc, or can a basement shop be effectively isolated and dust be contained and dealt with inexpensively? Or should I leave power tools in the garage and do glue ups and hand tool work in the basement? I have young kids and don’t want saw dust all through out the house. Feedback advice welcome! Thanks
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Garage or basement?

Garage. Do all your work there.

Don't worry too much about controlling the environment, unless you live in a van by the river, it is not that important.

Comment

The garage. It will be a nicer environment/location to work in.
      Egon
      from
      The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

garage, hands down better choice.
        insulate and heat it.
        add a cheap laminate floor
        park the car outside and use a remote start for it. with the car in the driveway, there is less driveway to shovel!!
        Millhouse421 likes this.
        my shop is a beaver lodge
        steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

"as my wife wants to park the van in the garage."

"park the car outside..."

I wish I had tried that, this way i would not have been trapped in a happy marriage for the past 38 years

Last edited by Mark Nowicki; 01-11-2019, 09:22 AM.
          Les Groeller and the_other_ken like this.

Comment

My two cents:
            I am starting my shop and I had to make the same decision as you (basement or garage). I started in the garage in summer but switched to the basement somewhere in November. The main reasons were that it gets really cold in the garage, and really messy (because we park the car in there as well there is lots of sand and snow from the tire - in Edmonton the city does not use salt, but sand on the roads).

I am very happy with the move, that said, I work almost exclusively with hand tools. So my situation is a bit different than yours. Here are some downsides that may be more important for you:
            - You have to drag your lumber through the house to the basement. Because I work mostly with smaller parts this is OK but if you work with sheet material it can become painful or even impossible (depending on how much space you have on the stairs to your basement). One option could be to cut things into smaller parts in the garage.
            - Getting machinery into the basement. A hand plane is easy, a cast iron jointer might be harder.
            - Dust collection is more of an issue. Hand tools do not generate that much dust, and it forces me to clean more often. But if you do decide to move power tools there you may want to invest in a better dust collection system.
            - Power outlets. I have very few power outlets in my basement for some reason. If this is the case for you as well you may need an electrician.
            - Less natural light.
            - Less fresh air I liked working in the garage with the doors open in summer.
            - Noise seems to travel a bit more through the house.

Benefits:
            - Nice and warm.
            - Less dirty.
            - Can still use the garage to park the car.

Clearly for me the benefits outweigh the downsides ;) I can see how this would be different for power tools.

Comment

I had my shop in the basement, but moved to the garage & much prefer it there. But I wouldn't even consider having a shop in an uninsulated/unheated garage. Once it's insulated, including the OH door, it doesn't take much heat to keep things above freezing. I normally keep the garage a 4.5* & then turn up the heat when I want to work out there. I've got a 75,000 BTU ducted furnace for quick warm up & even heat, so no cold feet. I hate cold feet.

My garage is also home to 2 cars, summer & winter, but it's 26' deep so I have room to push everything out of the way for parking.

Comment

I have converted my garage into a workshop. Insulated, furnace heated, cabinets and tools taking up 90% of the space, the remaining 10% is for golf clubs.
                I would not want to be in a basement for all the reasons stated previously.
                I put a remote starter in my wife's car, and she has never worked a job that required her to leave in the mornings ever since we moved into the house. In winter, on days where I know she is going somewhere in the AM, I clean off her car before I go to work.

I hear so many people say they could never use the garage as a workshop because it would stress their marriage because the spouse has to park in the garage. If my wife had a hobby that she was passionate about, that helped her deal with the other stresses in life, and produced something of value to our family, but required the full time use of the garage, I'd be happy to put up with a remote starter and leave the car outside in winter. If transporting young kids is in the picture, well that kind of changes things.
                Cheers
                Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post
                  I hear so many people say they could never use the garage as a workshop because it would stress their marriage because the spouse has to park in the garage. If my wife had a hobby that she was passionate about, that helped her deal with the other stresses in life, and produced something of value to our family, but required the full time use of the garage, I'd be happy to put up with a remote starter and leave the car outside in winter. If transporting young kids is in the picture, well that kind of changes things.
                  Though will you give up the garage for her hobby ;)

Comment

I'm a bit surprised at all the garage responses. My climate is like Ottawa and my garage is unheated and virtually uninsulated. There is no way in wherever that I would use this as a shop in that condition. I have a metal cutting bandsaw out there and the rust on the cast iron is a real problem. Once the snow comes the garage is a wonderful thing for keeping the ice and snow off the car. BTW it is illegal to idle a car longer than 3 minutes in Ottawa (not that you are likely to get caught), it wastes gas, is harder on the engine because gas isn't burned as efficiently when the engine is cold, ...

My shop is in the basement and I like it there but it also has its disadvantages one of which is that it is easy to track sawdust and chips upstairs. It is always warm and is easy to access. I do use the garage for cutting down sheet goods to manageable size before bringing to the basement.
                    IMO, if you want to use the garage make sure it is insulated and heated. BTW, the basement shop also gets the benefit of some house A/C on those hot humid summer days.

billh

Comment

Originally posted by corpaul View Post

Though will you give up the garage for her hobby ;)
                      If she had a hobby that required the garage, I certainly would try to rearrange things to accommodate for sure. I'm not trying to tell people how to manage their marriages! I think I would be stoned to death here if I did. I'm just relaying the way things work for us. I am fortunate to have an understanding spouse that doesn't pressure me about taking up the space. Every marriage has puts and takes, so whatever works. I think I will shut up now.
                      corpaul likes this.
                      Cheers
                      Randy

Comment

I have my shop in the basement and it has the disadvantage of having to carry material downstairs.

Don't worry about machinery, you only move it once, and you don't do that by hand so who cares. The last machine to go into my basement was an 800 pound saw/shaper and my shop cat Ellington and I did it by ourselves.

The basement has constant temperature and controlled humidity which is very important for the wood, and what you make out of it.

You'll need good dust collection, I use an Oneida cyclone with a HEPA filter and a Festool vacuum for hand held tools and general cleanup.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. I do have a garage however it's full of motorcycles..
                        Bryan @ Woodstock likes this.
                        Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post
                          I have converted my garage into a workshop. Insulated, furnace heated, cabinets and tools taking up 90% of the space, the remaining 10% is for golf clubs.
                          I would not want to be in a basement for all the reasons stated previously.
                          I put a remote starter in my wife's car, and she has never worked a job that required her to leave in the mornings ever since we moved into the house. In winter, on days where I know she is going somewhere in the AM, I clean off her car before I go to work.

you are only legally to carry 14 clubs,seems to me you could get down to 1% for clubs and get anouther machine

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
                            I have my shop in the basement and it has the disadvantage of having to carry material downstairs.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. I do have a garage however it's full of motorcycles..
                            I have a window in my basement shop and it is real handy for sliding long stock like 2x lumber or anything else that fits the window width into the shop without negotiating stairs.
                            billlh

Comment

Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
                              you are only legally to carry 14 clubs,seems to me you could get down to 1% for clubs and get anouther machine
                              My sons clubs live there too. Plus bags. Plus carts. So many toys. So little space.
                              Cheers
                              Randy

Comment

Working...
                              X