Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy to share my small garage shop with my wife's Honda!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Happy to share my small garage shop with my wife's Honda!

Randy thanks for the heads up on the heater, I'll check it out. I was being a bit tongue and cheek regarding the car. The only real advantage is the big clear area when the truck is parked outside. It actually sucks!

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

FYI, In a space that isn't kept at a constant temperature it is not recommended to use vapor barrier as it can condensate in the mass temperature changes. In some cases where the shop is kept at a constant temperature, something like opening the garage door can give enough of a cold blast to condensate as well.

This is info I've received from professional insulators. I've asked them and they say that there shouldn't be much of a problem if I was to do just the ceiling and 1ft down the top of the walls. But vapor barrier does a lot for keeping the temp in... windy outlets suck.

Also it would be nice and probably more economical to keep your garage at a single temp but heating a salty Honda is a sure fire way to turn it into rust. We use to park the plow truck inside the shop since we didn't want issues firing up a diesel at 3am when we get the call but that truck rusted before our eyes.

Comment

Along these lines...... my shop is a literally an 8'x8' "niche" in our barn, with a door leading to the garage. Neither the barn or garage is heated. I can 't heat the shop as it has only three walls and none of them, or roof is insulated. And it is a barn, after all, filled with hay. The floor is cement.

My only question is.....should I bring my tools and smaller power tools inside the house, to our uninsulated but heated basement? I don't want them to rust or be damaged over time.The barn/garage can be very damp on the floor, at least when spring comes. My tools are few; a miter saw, circ saw, two recip. saws, sanders, drills etc., your advice is greatly appreciated.
        I also use horse mats on the floor. $45 for 8'x4' 3/4 " mats. They really help.

Comment

Where is Arthur? Yes it makes a difference.
          "Do it Right!"

Comment

I have a dedicated workshop and half of a 2 car garage for work spaces. Both are unheated. The garage is insulated but most of the time the garage door is open when I am working. Rust can be a problem in both locations unless I am diligent about dealing with it. My solution has been to coat the mechanical unpainted iron parts with fluid film and wax the flat top cast iron surfaces. Originally I used Johnson's paste wax but have replaced that with Briwax as Johnson's is not longer available. I try to keep my machines clean and watch for any sign of rust. If I spot something I use either a wire brush or scotch brite to clean it off and then reapply a coating. So far this has worked.
            Last edited by tool fan; 02-13-2019, 08:07 PM.
            Kelly2008 likes this.

Comment

Walking around my shop it is obvious there is only one long term cure for rust, paint. Pictures of vintage iron can reveal nasty rust but the decades old painted surfaces are not rusted generally.
              Kelly2008 and iamtooler like this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Are you going to paint the table top on your equipment?
                "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly2008 View Post
                  Along these lines...... my shop is a literally an 8'x8' "niche" in our barn, with a door leading to the garage. Neither the barn or garage is heated. I can 't heat the shop as it has only three walls and none of them, or roof is insulated. And it is a barn, after all, filled with hay. The floor is cement.

My only question is.....should I bring my tools and smaller power tools inside the house, to our uninsulated but heated basement? I don't want them to rust or be damaged over time.The barn/garage can be very damp on the floor, at least when spring comes. My tools are few; a miter saw, circ saw, two recip. saws, sanders, drills etc., your advice is greatly appreciated.
                  I also use horse mats on the floor. $45 for 8'x4' 3/4 " mats. They really help.
                  I'm not far from you, in Listowel. My shop is insulated but heated only when I am working in it, so I have the same concerns as you do with rust. The iron surfaces on the table saw, jointer and so on I keep coated with wax (Minwax furniture wax right now) and that seems to keep the rust away. The hand tools; planes, chisels and the like are treated with a light oil from time to time. They all live happily in the shop along with the portable power tools.
                  If you are not using your tools in the winter and can spare the space in the basement, it might be an improvement over the barn.

Horse mats are a great idea; really easy on the feet and legs and the price is right.
                  Kelly2008 likes this.
                  The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                    Where is Arthur? Yes it makes a difference.
                    Arthur is about 1 1/2 hours north west of Toronto.

Comment

Ok You have the dreaded southern Ontario humidity. BUT,,,, I lived there too and it ain't horrible if you simply use your tools and the weather isn't freezing one day and scorching the next. Hot moist air meats real cold metal and you got ...........etc.
                      "Do it Right!"

Comment

Working...
                      X