The cost of heat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The cost of heat

Rusty: What I find is the fixed costs of being hooked up to the utilities is more expensive than the actual energy costs. If your shop is able to piggyback on your household utilities, you only have to pay for your actual energy usage. As an example, gas fixed charges are about $65 per month in Calgary and usage for a small well insulate house is $20 per month and $40 in a typical cold month. Electricity is $30 fixed and $28 usage.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Rusty View Post

Les I started this thread for everyone's benefit. We always get lots of comments about rust and the costs of heating a shop etc. and if a guy was to see that he could heat for less then a phone bill he might find it to be a great advantage but it's like most things, if someone says it's too expensive for whatever reason lot's of times those comments go unchallenged and we are really just operating out of ignorance. To my way of thinking it's better to know. The next step would be to find out how much money a guy could save by turning down the thermostat when he's not in the shop. I'm willing to bet it's not a lot. Have a good one. Supposed to go to minus 40 overnight here btw.
      Rusty yours is a very convoluted question as many of the answers have demonstrated. There is no quick answer to your question unless you take into consideration all the variables . JMHO

Comment

Originally posted by Les@Brownsville View Post

Rusty yours is a very convoluted question as many of the answers have demonstrated. There is no quick answer to your question unless you take into consideration all the variables . JMHO
        Definetly! 👍
        Egon
        from
        The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Hi. This is a great and timely thread! Yes subjective, but..for what it's worth a question I've been trying to work on this winter as well, and good information for us all as individuals with different variables....it would be good to know for all the reasons mentioned whether it's worth it to heat all the time or not.

Jerome - what thermostat were you using to track your power usage...is your heater 220volt?...I have a watt meter, but only good for 110volt....I'd really like to know what it actually costs to keep my 4k electric heater on and keep shop at 20 ish degrees constant.

I have been trying something a little different this year. I am keeping 4k heater set higher than the past (it just has a line thermostat built in) and have been supplementing heat when I am in shop with big buddy propane heater. I only use the propane heater when in the shop, but electric heater does not come on with propane working. So far this winter I've used 3 30 pound tanks of propane.(about 60 bucks)...my last tank lasted 3 weeks, and I was in the shop more than normal and it was colder than it's been. So far this winter using the propane heater hydro has adjusted my monthly payment down 20 bucks before my anniversary date in April, and I'm about 400 to the good compared to last year...once again subjective...but I won't be able to compare until April when it comes time to tally the years usage.
          I'd really like to know what that 4k heater is costing me though....very interested in a thermostat like Jerome spoke of.
          Greg

Comment

Gnlman here is the tstat info http://www.upm-marketing.com/manuals/HTM611A_E.pdf I believe I got it at Lowes.
            Jerome
            Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
            Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

Originally posted by Les@Brownsville View Post

Les I can certainly agree that anyone could make it as convoluted as they wish. I was hoping to invoke a bit of simplicity into the question. If your heating costs were $50.00 over a certain period that would be your cost divided by the square footage of your shop and house. If the shop was one fifth the size of your house your shop just cost you 10.00 to heat.

Now if I want to convolute my conclusion I could try to figure what the electricity cost was to run a 2 inch fan in my radiant tube. Do I really need to do that? Or maybe I could torture myself by trying to subtract the cost of the gas stove for cooking cause it really isn't heating cost.

That's why I won't do the math for you. What I might come up with since I don't know if your shop is insulated or if the shop is kept at a consistent temperature similar to your house means my answer is going to be wrong.

If you use gas and electricity to heat your shop and don't have individual meters it's even tougher to be exact. Carrying it a step further how do you measure your electricity to run a furnace fan versus the electricity to use lighting.?

On the bright side if it's so convoluted maybe you could just say HEY!!! it hardly costs anything to heat my shop. Pessimistic or Optimistic?
              "Do it Right!"

Comment

“On the bright side if it's so convoluted maybe you could just say HEY!!! it hardly costs anything to heat my shop. Pessimistic or Optimistic?r

The original question is so stated that any logical technical result is not possible for comparison.

Last edited by Egon; 02-05-2019, 05:59 PM.
                Egon
                from

Comment

It's a really tough question to answer no matter how it's set up. There are so many variables that the only way to really understand the thread is to read all the answers, try to get a grip on the individual situations, and then try to interpret how they relate to our own situations.

Each of us has our own peculiar uses ..... I sometimes put my snowmachine in to thaw out .... I can tell you that my heater runs waayyy more often when I do that. Seven hundred pounds of Skandic Superwide long track loaded with gear and snow and ice in a five hundred sqft shop thawing for two days would skew any heating figures for a month.

Comment

I have a 1500 sq ft commercial shop in an industrial plaza. Two overhead doors, cinderblock walls, metal roof, all uninsulated, heated with an older Lennox suspended natural gas heater outfitted with a basic thermostat. My gas bill for last month was $183. We were doing a lot of spraying, so I kept it closer to 24 degrees about half the time, down to 20 overnight.
                    Tim

Comment

thanks Jerome I'll check it out.
                      Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Egon View Post
                        “On the bright side if it's so convoluted maybe you could just say HEY!!! it hardly costs anything to heat my shop. Pessimistic or Optimistic?r

The original question is so stated that any logical technical result is not possible for comparison.

I don't disagree. But I could have asked the question several ways couldn't I. I certainly wasn't expecting a 10 decimal answer.

How would you pose the question Egon and what would you say to those people who claim it's too expensive to heat the garage? You have to admit you've heard that thought plenty of times on here so one would have to assume that somehow those guys who say it's too expensive must have the info necessary to make that statement.

Please with all due respect pose the question for us in a fashion that is answerable. I'm sincere in asking you BTW.
                        "Do it Right!"

Comment

I would not consider asking a question such as is stated in the OP.
                          Egon
                          from

Comment

Originally posted by Egon View Post
                            I would not consider asking a question such as is stated in the OP.
                            Thanks so much for your input!
                            "Do it Right!"

Comment

Hey Jerome. I had a look at that stat and it appears to be rated 3000 watts max...what size heater do you have it hooked up too? Mine is a 4k heater..little leary to use it as I would be exceeding it's capacity....since it's heat it will be drawing a constant when on, at whatever setting I have it at...
                              Also, looks like some time ago, and probably before you bought yours, but they do have a recall on that stat as well....but quite a few years ago.
                              Didn't see it on lowes site, when I have time later I'll check their site for higher rated models with same tracking abilities. I'm really interested to see what the cost is of leaving it on.
                              Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X