Too many tools or too small of a shop to house them

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Too many tools or too small of a shop to house them

Back to the original poster, even in my larger shop most equipment is on wheels so if needed I can create space.
    Jerome
    Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
    Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I decided last last week to give in an purchase a tool cabinet from HomeDepot. I originally thought that it would be the right size to fit behind my Table Saw and could be like an extended outfeed table. Sadly they say you measure twice and cut once. Well, I should have measured twice before I bought one. Got the cabinet home only to figure out that it really is much taller than I had realized. I think the printed measurement is a bit deceiving wrong in it is the hight of the cabinet, but without the casters installed. As I needed it with casters so I could move it, then it was a good 6" too tall

Needless to say, I sort of decided that I liked the cabinet too much to send it back, so the next iteration redesign of the shop is underway. This likely is a much-needed thing as I know how the shop is now really doesn't work. So changes are now afoot.

I started off by moving all my Bessy clamps from the back wall where they nicely fit, but are a real pain to get to and take off the wall and move them to the side wall. I figured out that even though there is the radiant heater mounted at the ceiling height pointing out and down at 45deg, the heat from it doesn't really hit that wall and the clamps will stay at an ambient temperature even if the heater is on. As the clamps are now located behind the jointer, I figured I can use the space below to put an adjustable shelf above the 6" PVC dust ducting that runs along the floor level that I can stack my Festool boxes with those tools inside as they can easily be picked up and over the jointer and it gets them out of the way.

Moving those clamps made it possible for me to remove the small table from the back corner of the room, and replace it with the much better Husky tool chest that I just bought, with a tool hook board against the wall and some additional shelving space above it. While I am at it, I can remove the overhead 6" blast gate duct for the Planer that I installed thinking it was better to have a pipe hanging down from the ceiling rather than running along the floor to trip over. Turns out NO. I am constantly hitting my head on the pipe, or it becomes a constant obstacle and very hard to navigate from front to back of the shop. With that pipe removed, I can turn the planer the other way around so now I feed from the back of the shop to the front, and can reposition the pipe onto the same line as the jointer. Fewer branches will likely mean better dust collection.

As the planer is not the other way around, I turned my attention to the other half of the shop. I have a lathe that is badly angled towards the back corner on the right. I plan on swinging this to align with the right-hand wall (90 deg turn) in doing so the router table will now have to shift down on that right wall towards the main table saw. That will mean the drill press and grinder stand will need to get moved to the back wall.

With the Lathe moving to the right wall, that means I can remove another branch that goes to the back wall. My thought is that although the drill press and grinding wheel can/do produce some dust/debris, it's nothing compared to the larger machines and also don't really get used all that much. I'd rather have better suction on the lathe where sanding produces the really fine particulate that you want to get, where a drill press produces large chips and big sawdust. Without the DC drop, I can install a long set of cupboards at ceiling level that will increase the storage of the shop dramatically.

Now the hard part. Actually doing it.
      Last edited by matt.mackinnon; 05-22-2019, 06:40 PM.
      Frank D. likes this.
      Matt

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.

Comment

My shop layouts are like snake skin. Set things up, make it work until it doesn't, then go for the next iteration. Its' impossible to get to the last version of a shop right away because it's a process that has to be built on previous versions (kind of like Rome, whenever there's some kind of hole in the ground you see pieces of buildings that were made 500, 1000, 2000 years ago...the new city is all built up on previous versions of the same city).

Sounds like your making a lot of improvements. Pics please when your done.
        Frank
        SPCHT

Comment

I will have the opportunity in a month or so for a "do-over". I am moving from a 16 x 20 shop to a 15 x 22 shop. The old one was not ideal in so many ways; floor was a disaster, tools were all too big, wood storage was out of control ..... you get the picture.

3 major changes going in; sold the 52" cabinet saw, the floor drill press and the huge planer. They will be replaced by a 30" saw, a bench mounted drill press and a lunchbox planer. Then the wood storage will be in a separate shed, too. Casters will play a big part in the new shop.

It all begins June 21 .... stay tuned.
          The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

I knew a guy who build dog sleds -- the professional kind used on the Iditirod. He lived in a 14 foot travel trailer. He scrounged a 53 x 12 mobile home, replaced most all the interior walls with teleposts, and that was his shop. (One wall was left and was his wood storage. )Had a big double barrel stove in the middle, two ceiling fans to keep the air moving.

In a Minnesota winter he would get up, stomp over 30 feet to the shop, start and stoke the stove, stomp home, and have coffee,breakfast and all those morning chores. By the time he got back the shop would be warm enough to work without gloves. Damp the stove.

You can pick up a beater trailer for next to nothing. It has a steel underframe, so that a few strategic supports it should be able to support anything you can fit through the door.
            smallerstick likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
              Jackmaya you shop is too clean
              I think there's more in this post than at first glance.

The same shop, one clean, one messy: which is going to feel like there is more room to work? I worked in a production shop for a few years and the management wanted the shop neatly organized at the end of every day. I still try and clean up all my tools after working, no matter what. Stop what you're doing ten minutes before you have to leave, put everything away, every time. It won't take long until its a habit.

My shop is about 12'x16'. I have a 32" cabinet saw, Full sized drill press, 6" jointer, lunchbox planer, 14" bandsaw and an 8' bench. I manage, because I've created a lot of drawers for storage, and no drawer has more than a few things in it. A couple time of year, I go through everything to see what I can get rid of. I Kijiji it all and buy next next tool I'm lusting after.
              smallerstick likes this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I failed at shop organization 101, so what ever you do Matt will be way ahead of me.
                sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

I've always been really really good at logistics of any kind and shop space/layout was no exception when it came to it in my life's journey. Honestly...'really good' is being modest. My 11.5 X 24 shop space I designed from a one car garage almost 20 years ago has seen some tweaks over the years, was articled in the inaugrual issue of this forum's magazine annual 'Small Shops" issue, but is largely the same as was built and set up from its original iteration. Some of you forumites have seen it up close years ago at a post monthly Ajax Brekie visit/invite one time, and the common comment was, 'Wow, you just can't tell what it is by pics alone' accompanied by the jaw dropping looks. I had a lot of this on the forum, but when they trashed the pic gallery when they did a V-Bulletin software upgrade years ago, my shared 'genius' at this I had meticulously posted over the years all got trashed without warning. The two shop floor construction photo galleries alone in themselves were the two most viewed galleries at that time with over 10K views and two other galleries involving shop arrangement I had set up were in the top 5 of viewed galleries. This nonchalant action by the powers that be who decided that was one of the reasons I've shunned this forum for an extended period. If at least someone would have consulted me when that decision was made, I wouldn't have been a semi-casual lurker since then posting ever so rarely. I'm still not really un-peeved all about this and only step into this forum haphazardly and really don't share to the extent I could. It's like someone took my work back then and threw it in the fire while I wasn't looking. This may be someone else's forum, but it is our content that makes it survive. Fluffing that off as nothing years ago, has not sat well with me. Long overdue rant over.

Kevin

Comment

I had a decent amount of room in my 28 x 40 shop...had my unisaw/excalibur set up for cutting up sheet goods, other machines here and there, and had lots of room to place newly built cabinets...

Then I bought an 8ft sliding tablesaw...amazing amount of room they need, total gridlock right now...lol. I will eventually downsize the unisaw, make it mobile, and move the slider to where the unisaw is now...at that point it should be easier to work again. My main tablesaw has always been in a central location in my shop, but everything else has moved around quite a bit over the years...

Comment

I think it's definitely the Shop that's to Small , we can never have to many Tools , can we ????

Comment

Working...
                      X