New 16x28 Shop Build in Kitchener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New 16x28 Shop Build in Kitchener

Walls are primed and we've started on the t&g ceiling. I had it milled by Cedar Valley, a Mennonite shop outside Elmira. I've worked with the owner Joshua on many projects before at previous jobs, but never a personal one. He mills the best trim around and I'm so happy with what we picked up. Random 8'-16' lengths, but mostly 16' which is great when you're spanning 27'. We've got about 7 rows up so far.

I also picked up some rough pine from a fellow named Jergen. He's got a wood miser sawmill set up at a farm on the outskirts of Kitchener, just off Victoria. He doesn't have kiln dried yet but he's just putting the finishing touches on a kiln so he will soon. He had a good selection of white & red oak and pine. I picked up the pine to make cheap shiplap for the floors of the loft.

The gas is all hooked up, just need to install the heater. Hoping to get the lighting done soon as well. Finally finished up the battens on the Hardie board, as well as the soffit- just the fascia to go and the exterior will be complete!

I also have been working on a project within the project (literally...), a small shed for my parents. Because we didn't have enough going on...
    Last edited by ggwoodsmurf; 11-22-2019, 09:06 PM.
    nugsthecat, Tokley and 3 others like this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Exterior is done! Soffit, fascia, trim, and exterior light mounted. No photo of it yet, but here's the inside!

T&G is all done- a pain in the neck, literally, but I'm very happy with it.
      Heater is hooked up and working beautifully. I can't believe how toasty it gets- and stays!
      Last week we moved in all the machines.
      Today we installed the lights- I really like them. They are wonderfully bright but still easy on the eyes. Great light dispersion.
      I also installed home-made ship lap today in the lofts and promptly filled them with 'stuff'... stuff that will hopefully find a real home and not sit up there forever.
      Tomorrow I hope to get all the trim done and then I have to figure out what kind of storage I'm going to build to house everything, where to hang clamps, etc.
      I enjoyed building this shop immensely, but boy oh boy, working inside it is so much better

Andre Beaudette, Matt Matt and 3 others like this.

Comment

Originally posted by ggwoodsmurf View Post
        I enjoyed building this shop immensely, but boy oh boy, working inside it is so much better
        That was my experience as well. I enjoyed the building of the garage but I was ready to get back to making things towards the end.
        ggwoodsmurf likes this.

Comment

I like your choice and heaters. I went with the exact same one. Did you go for the 30,000 BTU or the 45,000 BTU?

I personally went with the 30,000 BTU as they had the same heat exchanger and I save myself $100.

I have a buddy that has the 45,000 BTU with 12 foot ceilings and a 600 square-foot shop. He says it gets a little hot on the head. I only have 9 foot ceilings and a 400 square-foot shop. I keep my shop at 65- 68°F at all times. When I’m out in the shop, I sometimes turn it up to 70–71°F. My gas bill jumped about $3-400-ish a year. I figured it was a 2 to 2 1/2 year payback with using electricity.

enjoy it for a season. Then decide. Princess auto does sell metal blade ceiling fans. I’m waiting for their 36” to go on sale. As I type this message my heater clicked on. I would love to have the small fan pushing the heat down between cycles.
          Last edited by Matt Matt; 12-10-2019, 11:18 PM.
          For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
          Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Looks awesome Stephanie. Hopefully we will get the dust collector down to you soon.
            Darrin

Timber Elegance
            My Etsy Store

Comment

Great job, looks like a super nice space to work in.
              ggwoodsmurf likes this.

Comment

Looking great! I found the slow burn really started once the shop was done... The shop was the quick part and fitting out the shop has been incredibly slow, haha!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Matt View Post
                  I like your choice and heaters. I went with the exact same one. Did you go for the 30,000 BTU or the 45,000 BTU?

I personally went with the 30,000 BTU as they had the same heat exchanger and I save myself $100.

I have a buddy that has the 45,000 BTU with 12 foot ceilings and a 600 square-foot shop. He says it gets a little hot on the head. I only have 9 foot ceilings and a 400 square-foot shop. I keep my shop at 65- 68°F at all times. When I’m out in the shop, I sometimes turn it up to 70–71°F. My gas bill jumped about $3-400-ish a year. I figured it was a 2 to 2 1/2 year payback with using electricity.

enjoy it for a season. Then decide. Princess auto does sell metal blade ceiling fans. I’m waiting for their 36” to go on sale. As I type this message my heater clicked on. I would love to have the small fan pushing the heat down between cycles.
                  It's the 45,000 BTU one- we got it on kijiji (like everything else we own haha) and so far it's been fantastic. My ceilings are just about 10' 6" in the middle, just over 8' at the wall. With the heater angled I haven't had much issue with it being too hot on the head, but it definitely gets a little warm at the chop saw. It's not connected to the thermostat yet, so I'm just plugging it in and unplugging it when I feel comfortable- the thermometer I have at the opposite corner of the room tells me that's around 18*C but I'm not sure how accurate it is. Since the thermostat isn't working yet the heater isn't on unless I'm in the shop, so it's not coming on overnight to keep the shop at any particular temp. So far it hasn't been insanely cold and the lowest temp it's been when I go in in the morning is 7*.

I am definitely loving the switch to radiant heat though! Sooo much nicer than the heater I had in the garage. When I finished the trim I could actually have the heater on because it's not blowing dust all over the place!

Comment

Originally posted by darrin1200 View Post
                    Looks awesome Stephanie. Hopefully we will get the dust collector down to you soon.
                    Thanks Darrin I'm looking forward to it! I picked up a Veritas cyclone lid to use until then- even just that is such a massive difference! Making the ship lap I filled 35 garbage bags of shavings- so much easier dumping the trash can than the vacuum, which I only had to empty once. Can't wait to experience a real dust collector!

Originally posted by guitarchitect View Post
                    Looking great! I found the slow burn really started once the shop was done... The shop was the quick part and fitting out the shop has been incredibly slow, haha!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
                    I believe it- I'm afraid to put holes in the wall! I can't decide where to hang my clamps... or how I want to store all the handheld power tools, drills, etc... or pretty much anything else!
                    Last edited by ggwoodsmurf; 12-14-2019, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Very nice shop.
                      Egon
                      from
                      The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Originally posted by ggwoodsmurf View Post
                        I am definitely loving the switch to radiant heat though! Sooo much nicer than the heater I had in the garage. When I finished the trim I could actually have the heater on because it's not blowing dust all over the place!
                        There are definite advantages to radiant heat. One that comes in handy is when you are doing multiple applications of laminate or veneer with contact cement. Simply roll on the cement, place it under the radiant heat and fire it up. A couple of minutes later it's dry, your laminate is stuck on and you're rolling it out. You're getting ready for the next one in just minutes!

Lovely shop!!

Comment

I have forced air that's ducted to the corners of the shop and it's just about perfect. No noticeable temperature gradients from floor to ceiling or in any part of the shop. But it was expensive. If the choice was radiant or a unit heater, I'd probably go with radiant.

Comment

In my opinion, you got the second best heater going but the cheapest.

-natural gas is the easiest if it is available.

-in floor radiant heat in my opinion is the cream of the crop. But, I believe it has the highest price tag install.
                            -overhead radiant heaters take up ceiling space and a lot of it. If you have it, it’s fairly efficient. The benefit is there is no blowing heat. There are
                            four drawbacks. It is a somewhat concentrated heat, it takes up a lot of the ceiling space, there is a little bit a noise and they put off a little bit of smoke at the beginning of the season.
                            - then there is the hot dang heat exchanger blower type furnace. They heat up the air really fast. But they move a lot of air around the shop.

my shop is fairly well insulated, and I keep it above 68°F throughout the winter. I might have about 20,000 pounds of cast-iron that retain the heat or cold. I’m in the shop 6-10 hours a day.

If if I was spot time heating, I might go for blower design.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
                            Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

I’d also go with the in-floor heat system if possible. It would be best if it’s designed and included in the original build. It does have options for design one of which could include considerable heat sink capability.

For the heat source there are many different options some of which could take advantage of off peak power cost.

Our present heat delivery designs ( hot/cold ) may be an area to consider for improvement. .??
                              Egon
                              from
                              The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

In floor heat only makes sense if the space is used for extended periods. Most hobby shop users are not in there all day, every day, and need a system that can quickly bring the space up to a comfortable temperature. An in floor system won't do that.

Comment

Working...
                                X