Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

• Re: New 16x28 Shop Build in Kitchener

Wow great progress!!

Nathan
      ggwoodsmurf likes this.

Comment

I was at the steel guy,s business in Linwood. I was trying to convince a client to install steel roofing rather than reshingle her wood shed. Steel roofing is .98 cents a sq ft and trim for the fascia is $1 a linear ft. They need a 2 to 3 day lead time.

Brian
        If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Progress seems very slow right now but it is coming along. We've taken care of some things you can't see, like the electrical plan/layout. I am regretting not running a pipe to the centre of the floor when we poured, for the 220v for the table saw, but nothing I can do about it now!

We ordered everything we need to install the metal roof and siding. The roofing material was cheap... but I definitely had massive sticker shock when we got the bill for everything else you need to do a roof- double the cost of the actual material! Vented ridge, gable trim, eaves trim, foam closure strips, dormer caps, valley flashing, membranes, screws, caulking, etc. etc. etc. I have no idea what most of it is but yikes I did not account for it.

So we have the doors and one window installed, not spray foamed yet but the rain is kind of putting a damper on the work this week. Roofing supplies arrive Friday or Saturday, that's going to be very exciting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7167.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	1253869

Name:	IMG_7050.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	1,022.2 KB
ID:	1253871

Name:	IMG_7165.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	804.2 KB
ID:	1253872
          Attached Files
          darrin1200, Wally in Calgary and 4 others like this.

Comment

I love how this is coming together! Well done!
            ggwoodsmurf likes this.

Comment

Before you foam frame in a spot to put a window AC and an electrical connection then if you ever want one you are good to go.
              Jerome
              Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
              Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

Very nice. Good work.
                ggwoodsmurf likes this.
                Egon
                from
                The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Thank you for the progress pics. What did you put on the bottom of your OSB at floor level?
                  Jamie www.turneddesignsbyjamie.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by jaywood1207 View Post
                    Thank you for the progress pics. What did you put on the bottom of your OSB at floor level?
                    The bottom plate on the walls is pressure treated and there is an 8” strip of PT ply along to bottom of the wall. This was recommended to us by the building centre we’ve been getting our supplies from, Rona BFD in Kitchener. I’ve never done exterior framing so I don’t know if this is standard practice or not.

Comment

Originally posted by ggwoodsmurf View Post

The bottom plate on the walls is pressure treated and there is an 8” strip of PT ply along to bottom of the wall. This was recommended to us by the building centre we’ve been getting our supplies from, Rona BFD in Kitchener. I’ve never done exterior framing so I don’t know if this is standard practice or not.
                      typically you would put a foam gasket and you would use PT lumber for your sill plate - the foam acts as a capillary break so that no moisture can find its way into the wood by capillary action (simplest way to picture it is, the wood sucks up the moisture like a straw). it also acts as an air seal, making up for all the imperfections in the surface of the pour.

Matt Risinger has a great youtube channel, he is good at explaining a lot of contemporary construction building concepts!

progress pics look great! love the look of the half-sheathed roof!

Comment

Originally posted by guitarchitect View Post

typically you would put a foam gasket and you would use PT lumber for your sill plate - the foam acts as a capillary break so that no moisture can find its way into the wood by capillary action (simplest way to picture it is, the wood sucks up the moisture like a straw). it also acts as an air seal, making up for all the imperfections in the surface of the pour.

Matt Risinger has a great youtube channel, he is good at explaining a lot of contemporary construction building concepts!

progress pics look great! love the look of the half-sheathed roof!
                        Yes there is also foam under the walls so far it’s really good at keeping all this rain in the shop haha

Comment

Originally posted by ggwoodsmurf View Post

Thank you.
                          Jamie www.turneddesignsbyjamie.etsy.com

Comment

Our $100 doors are painted to match the windows and the roof is almost done. Still need to do the ridge and gable flashing. We had to take the window out... in our excitement we forgot to put the blueskin flashing in first.

We’re back on hold for a week as we are visiting my parents in Parry Sound.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                            guitarchitect, jaywood1207 and 2 others like this.

Comment

Lookin' good! There's a very satisfying feeling to doing steel when you get to the "end" of the first half of a roof and everything lines up and you know you did the build square !!
                              ggwoodsmurf likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post
                                Lookin' good! There's a very satisfying feeling to doing steel when you get to the "end" of the first half of a roof and everything lines up and you know you did the build square !!
                                We always started from the centre so accumulated error was split and would be trimmed off the eaves anyway. On a 200' roof it could be several inches.

Comment

Working...
                                X