Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New 16x28 Shop Build in Kitchener

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post

We always started from the centre so accumulated error was split and would be trimmed off the eaves anyway. On a 200' roof it could be several inches.
    I just did my garage. I started at the front where everyone can see, kept adjusting the sheets as I went and finished by cutting off the last sheet and leaving a slight overhang at the back where nobody looks It wouldn't have mattered .... I finished square !!
    DavidR8 and ggwoodsmurf like this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Thugs are really starting to come together! The steel siding is done, on the ďhiddenĒ faces, and the hardie board is just about finished- just have some battens to put up. We also started the soffit today. Today was mostly reserved for yard cleanup though as the leaves were getting hazardous to work around.

Inside the bulk of the electrical work is done. We have power! Only one outlet functioning right now but itís still very exciting. Electrical inspection happened today so thatís in the clear.

We also epoxied the floor. Everything went smoothly, but the final product isnít quite what Iíd hoped- I really wanted a white floor, so thatís what we did, but the grey of the concrete still kind of shows through. It will be easy to clean though and thatís what matters.

Tomorrow drywall and insulation arrives- Iím looking forward to working indoors!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Wally in Calgary and schor like this.

Comment

looking good.
        Steve The Drill Sergeant
        Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

Very exciting to follow this, I didn't read all the posts though and if it was not mentioned yet, I recommend that you paint walls and ceiling white.
          It's amazing how this helps in brightening thing up and virtually eliminates shadows.
          Looks great so far. I'm jealous!

Tim

Comment

Very good update. Things are great!

I see you even have heat. Those little radiant heaters, I bought two of, they were dead in less than two years.

What size Main are you bringing out to shop? It looks like you have a 100 amp sub panel.
            For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
            Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Matt View Post
              Very good update. Things are great!

I see you even have heat. Those little radiant heaters, I bought two of, they were dead in less than two years.

What size Main are you bringing out to shop? It looks like you have a 100 amp sub panel.
              Thanks!

That little heater is actually from our shed- my husband has a little workbench in there. It’s only 9x12 and is rarely used, so the heater doesn’t get much of a workout. We also have a propane radiant heater in there just to keep it bearable for the electrician (my father-in-law) and for when we did the epoxy floor. We have a 45,000 btu radiant gas heater that will be installed on the sloped ceiling once gas lines are run and drywall is up.

It’s a 40 amp sub. I don’t remember what size main, I’ll have to ask next time I see him.

There are 240 outlets for table saw, dust collector, and air compressor. There’s also two that will go unused for now in the hopes that some day I will get an 8” 240v jointer and a 15”+ planer. There’s a 20amp for the mitre saw and several dedicated circuits throughout.

Comment

Stephanie -- Coming along nicely. It would be nice to see your pics in a slideshow and to have them kept on the forum so they are not lost. Maybe have a look at the last instruction HERE and try it and see if you like doing it that way any better. TIA

Comment

Looking great!
                  What capacity electric service did you run into your shop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post
                    Stephanie -- Coming along nicely. It would be nice to see your pics in a slideshow and to have them kept on the forum so they are not lost. Maybe have a look at the last instruction HERE and try it and see if you like doing it that way any better. TIA
                    It would look like this -- just click on a pic and then the arrows left or right.

beachburl likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by big tim View Post
                      Very exciting to follow this, I didn't read all the posts though and if it was not mentioned yet, I recommend that you paint walls and ceiling white.
                      It's amazing how this helps in brightening thing up and virtually eliminates shadows.
                      Looks great so far. I'm jealous!

Tim
                      Thanks for the suggestion Tim! We did the floor white and I'm going to leave the walls white, but I'm going to do pine t&g on the ceiling. I think with the flooring reflecting a lot of light, that will be a big help. And we got some pretty intense lights- 4 LED panels at 11,200 lumens each, for a whopping 44,800 lumens- which is like 75 pot-lights I just hope it's not too bright!

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post

It would look like this -- just click on a pic and then the arrows left or right.
                        Thanks Wally!

I just made a photo album on my profile so all the pictures can be seen together. I will try to post this way from now on.

EDIT: I get it now- by making an album, it shows up in the forum as a thread! I learn something new every day Here's a link to the thread!

Last edited by ggwoodsmurf; 11-10-2019, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Insulation is complete and the first coat of mud went on today. Gas line has also been run in the shop and underground but is not connected yet.

I like winter but I could have done without the snow for a few more weeks! It is quite toasty inside though with the 240v construction heater running to keep things warm for the mud. Insulation seems to be doing it's job compared to when we were trying to keep it warm with no ceiling insulation. We had to temporarily remove one chunk of ceiling insulation to run the gas line up there and I couldn't believe how quickly the temp dropped.

I'll be ordering the t&g for the ceiling tomorrow- 1x6 knotty pine. After reading some threads on here and doing a bit of research I'm not planning on applying any finish. Partially for looks, partially for expediency and lack of space- the husband wants to start moving machines in Monday.
                          schor, nnieman and iamtooler like this.

Comment

Originally posted by ggwoodsmurf View Post
                            Insulation is complete and the first coat of mud went on today. Gas line has also been run in the shop and underground but is not connected yet.

I like winter but I could have done without the snow for a few more weeks! It is quite toasty inside though with the 240v construction heater running to keep things warm for the mud. Insulation seems to be doing it's job compared to when we were trying to keep it warm with no ceiling insulation. We had to temporarily remove one chunk of ceiling insulation to run the gas line up there and I couldn't believe how quickly the temp dropped.

I'll be ordering the t&g for the ceiling tomorrow- 1x6 knotty pine. After reading some threads on here and doing a bit of research I'm not planning on applying any finish. Partially for looks, partially for expediency and lack of space- the husband wants to start moving machines in Monday.
                            Looks really good !! Thanks for trying the pic posting. It works better for us too as we can see all your pics at once.
                            ggwoodsmurf likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by ggwoodsmurf View Post

The only thing i would say is, DO try to sand it if you can! it makes a big difference - i regret not doing a bit of treatment to my ceiling joists (I also should have specified better than construction grade lumber!) - every little loose bit catches dust, spider webs, etc

Comment

Originally posted by guitarchitect View Post

The only thing i would say is, DO try to sand it if you can! it makes a big difference - i regret not doing a bit of treatment to my ceiling joists (I also should have specified better than construction grade lumber!) - every little loose bit catches dust, spider webs, etc
                                Thanks for the tip. By the way, thanks again for giving me the idea to do the backsides in sheet metal. Saved me like $1500 and a bunch of time!
                                guitarchitect likes this.

Comment

Working...
                                X