X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ggwoodsmurf
    replied
    Originally posted by altiplano View Post
    I have a 735 too, replaced a Delta lunchbox which was quite a bit less noisy - the 735 screams. I imagine it will be louder than your Rigid.
    Yes, I have used a 735 before- my comment wasn’t to say the dewalt would not make my ears ring, just about saying goodbye to the ridgid’s ability to do so

Leave a comment:

• altiplano
    replied
    I have a 735 too, replaced a Delta lunchbox which was quite a bit less noisy - the 735 screams. I imagine it will be louder than your Rigid.

Leave a comment:

• ggwoodsmurf
    replied
    I will be keeping the Dremel then

Originally posted by guitarchitect View Post
    If you want to document what you've got I can put it in front of my dad - he's a bird carver as well (a number of world championships under his belt) and he might be able to assess it or advise based on what there is. I suspect there could be a woodcarver's club that might make use of them, was your grandpa a member of any? You can reach me via email - username@gmail.com

In terms of filters - Maddocks Industrial Filters in Hamilton! www.maddocksgroup.com
    The one thing I'm pretty sure I am never going to get around to using is all of the eyes. There's probably 100 or more. I'll send you an email with photos later! My Uncle worked for Grand River Conservation for many years and got most, if not all, of the eyes from their taxidermy department.

I am very excited to have added a new machine to the shop- a Dewalt 735. I've wanted one for awhile, but out it off as they are, as with most things, expensive. The cheapest I was able to find new was through Amazon.com- $800CAD, all in, including the tables and a spare set of blades. This is much cheaper than amazon.ca or any of the big box stores but I was still going to hold off for awhile. I had given up for the most part on buying used as most people seem to want to sell for more than they are new... but I happened upon one yesterday for $470 with tables and a new set of blades so I snapped it up. Barely used. So I said goodbye to my loyal grey Ridgid- it served me well for 10 years, but is making someone else's ears ring now!

Leave a comment:

• mike66
    replied
    Don't know if one of the Busy Bee canisters would fit what you are looking for but don't rule out Welbeck. Give them a call. They will give you a quote to have it delivered right to your door. Haven't bought anything as large as a canister filter but what I have bought has been shipped reasonably.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• John in Calgary
    replied
    Originally posted by Frank English View Post
    Nice looking shelves. Hang on to the Dremel, the little wire wheels comes in handy for cleaning rust of small tools with odd shapes. Most hardware stores have many Dremel attachments so whatever age should be able to find ones that fit.
    And the dremel cut off wheels have been a lifesaver for me more than once cutting off rusty bolts or hard to get to metal bits. Make sure you wear proper safety gear though, when they catch they shatter and spit bits everywhere.

John

Leave a comment:

• guitarchitect
    replied
    If you want to document what you've got I can put it in front of my dad - he's a bird carver as well (a number of world championships under his belt) and he might be able to assess it or advise based on what there is. I suspect there could be a woodcarver's club that might make use of them, was your grandpa a member of any? You can reach me via email - username@gmail.com

In terms of filters - Maddocks Industrial Filters in Hamilton! www.maddocksgroup.com

Leave a comment:

• Frank English
    replied
    Nice looking shelves. Hang on to the Dremel, the little wire wheels comes in handy for cleaning rust of small tools with odd shapes. Most hardware stores have many Dremel attachments so whatever age should be able to find ones that fit.

Leave a comment:

• ggwoodsmurf
    replied
    Nothing very exciting to report... alarm system is installed, finally finished the last piece of baseboard that was hiding behind the air compressor. Had to remove the door trim for the alarm guys and haven't got it back on yet- ran out of nails of course so those are on the grocery list.

Built a row of upper cabinets for "stuff"- finishes, glue, garbage bags, etc. No doors but they're doing their job all the same for now. Half are filled with tools I inherited from my Grandpa who passed in July- he was a bird carver. I am not sure what to do with all of it, as to be honest I don't have much interest in bird carving. So for now, it sits. He did have many useful tools that I've put into regular circulation in the shop, but the small carving tools, bird eyes, dremmel, and other small detail tools I'm not sure what to do with.

The cabinets are made of 2x12s and painted with milk paint. Not exactly fine cabinetry but they were fast, cheap, and do the trick. Doors will be made eventually.... maybe in 2021 haha

We were able to pick up the dust collector after it's wild ride (see the Rucker thread for more info on that) but I am still in need of a filter before I can set it up. Surprisingly difficult to find. The closest option I've found is Wellbeck, but it's quite a drive from Kitchener, and when you add the price of gas to the cost of the filter, it's well over what I paid for the dust collector itself. Does anyone know of a seller of filters closer to Kitchener, maybe in the GTA?

Leave a comment:

• Egon
    replied
    Add on, surface in floor systems, may not react quickly.

A well designed & built mass storage in floor system would be quite different in performance and economy.

Leave a comment:

• drzaius
    replied
    In floor heat only makes sense if the space is used for extended periods. Most hobby shop users are not in there all day, every day, and need a system that can quickly bring the space up to a comfortable temperature. An in floor system won't do that.

Leave a comment:

• Egon
    replied
    I’d also go with the in-floor heat system if possible. It would be best if it’s designed and included in the original build. It does have options for design one of which could include considerable heat sink capability.

For the heat source there are many different options some of which could take advantage of off peak power cost.

Our present heat delivery designs ( hot/cold ) may be an area to consider for improvement. .??

Leave a comment:

• Matt Matt
    replied
    In my opinion, you got the second best heater going but the cheapest.

-natural gas is the easiest if it is available.

-in floor radiant heat in my opinion is the cream of the crop. But, I believe it has the highest price tag install.
    -overhead radiant heaters take up ceiling space and a lot of it. If you have it, it’s fairly efficient. The benefit is there is no blowing heat. There are
    four drawbacks. It is a somewhat concentrated heat, it takes up a lot of the ceiling space, there is a little bit a noise and they put off a little bit of smoke at the beginning of the season.
    - then there is the hot dang heat exchanger blower type furnace. They heat up the air really fast. But they move a lot of air around the shop.

my shop is fairly well insulated, and I keep it above 68įF throughout the winter. I might have about 20,000 pounds of cast-iron that retain the heat or cold. I’m in the shop 6-10 hours a day.

If if I was spot time heating, I might go for blower design.

Leave a comment:

• drzaius
    replied
    I have forced air that's ducted to the corners of the shop and it's just about perfect. No noticeable temperature gradients from floor to ceiling or in any part of the shop. But it was expensive. If the choice was radiant or a unit heater, I'd probably go with radiant.

Leave a comment:

• John Bartley
    replied
    Originally posted by ggwoodsmurf View Post
    I am definitely loving the switch to radiant heat though! Sooo much nicer than the heater I had in the garage. When I finished the trim I could actually have the heater on because it's not blowing dust all over the place!
    There are definite advantages to radiant heat. One that comes in handy is when you are doing multiple applications of laminate or veneer with contact cement. Simply roll on the cement, place it under the radiant heat and fire it up. A couple of minutes later it's dry, your laminate is stuck on and you're rolling it out. You're getting ready for the next one in just minutes!

Lovely shop!!

Leave a comment:

• Egon
    replied
    Very nice shop.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X