New 16x28 Shop Build in Kitchener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 16x28 Shop Build in Kitchener

Itís been a while since Iíve been active on here! A career change and a husband who wants his garage back has inspired a new shop build and I will do my best to post updates here in return for some advice ;)

I am no longer working in the industry and that has kickstarted a desire to spend more time on the hobby side of things. And my husband is tired of storing his Alfa all winter, unable to work on it, so heís getting his garage back in exchange for building a shop in the back yard.

A permit has been acquired and a date set for pouring the slab but nothing else will happen until next week.

In the meantime Iím hoping to get some opinions on exterior siding.

We have a 10x10 board and batten shed I am considering matching, but am also looking at composite instead for lower maintenance. I am not very interested in regular vinyl siding, mostly for aesthetic reasons.

Does anyone have experience with any of the composites? Pros, cons, brand recommendations?

On the other hand does anyone know of a good source for board and batten material?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ggwoodsmurf; 08-10-2019, 11:28 AM.
    beachburl likes this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: New 16x28 Shop Build in Kitchener

no input on siding, but with all those trees around/above the proposed workshop, I would consider steel roofing.
    I have to go and install steel roofing on my sisters backyard shed as the pine needles/leaves have collected and destroyed her shingles (doesn't help no one ever cleaned roof off over the years)

the low pitch, collection of organics and lack of maintenance have taken a 25yr shingle (if they are same as extra bundle left in shed) and rotted them out in less than 10yrs.
    [insert something witty here]

Comment

Originally posted by beakie View Post
      no input on siding, but with all those trees around/above the proposed workshop, I would consider steel roofing.
      I have to go and install steel roofing on my sisters backyard shed as the pine needles/leaves have collected and destroyed her shingles (doesn't help no one ever cleaned roof off over the years)

the low pitch, collection of organics and lack of maintenance have taken a 25yr shingle (if they are same as extra bundle left in shed) and rotted them out in less than 10yrs.
      You are not the first to suggest this- but the first to give that reason! What product are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by ggwoodsmurf View Post

You are not the first to suggest this- but the first to give that reason! What product are you using?

the cheapest sheet steel that I can find.
        she isn't worried about the "barn roof" look, just that it will keep water/weather out, and last more than a few years. the benefit of low friction, and/or snow sliding off, "should" help keep debris from collecting too.

Comment

I have some James Hardee lap siding on my house. Itís a cement composite siding and some of the best stuff Iíve ever used. Itís pre-painted or pre-primed. As far as steel goes, its simple and fast to put up. Usually comes pre cut and price is dependent on gauge thickness. For aesthetics, traditional sidings and roofing are definitely more appealing. Steel is definitely better for maintainability.
          MartyFromKingston likes this.

Comment

I would second the second the steel roof. Itís a lot more durable, and I found much cheaper. One of the big savings, is that you donít have to sheath the roof. I used 2x4 cross slats to support the trusses and to screw the steel to. I also put a black cloth barrier ( I canít remember the name), over the slats and under the steel. Overall all, it saved a good chuck of change versus a shingle roof.
            Darrin

Timber Elegance
            My Etsy Store

Comment

Might want to look at Hardie board for the siding.
              For the roof really consider steel. That is what many people around here are going to. Lots of different styles and should last. Looks good too.
              Metal may also be a consideration for the siding if one of the proper looks can be sourced.
              https://images.app.goo.gl/faBVjCakr4T2jaDj9
              Last edited by Egon; 08-11-2019, 07:23 AM.
              Egon
              from
              The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Originally posted by darrin1200 View Post
                I would second the second the steel roof. Itís a lot more durable, and I found much cheaper. One of the big savings, is that you donít have to sheath the roof. I used 2x4 cross slats to support the trusses and to screw the steel to. I also put a black cloth barrier ( I canít remember the name), over the slats and under the steel. Overall all, it saved a good chuck of change versus a shingle roof.
                Are you guys talking flat sheet steel? Or the corrugated stuff?

Comment

I put 3 skylights in my 18x28 shop. Really brightens things up.
                  Andy in Niagara likes this.
                  Steve The Drill Sergeant
                  Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by schor View Post
                    I put 3 skylights in my 18x28 shop. Really brightens things up.
                    I really wanted skylights, but between the extra cost, the surrounding trees and me not wanting to clean them, and having loft space on both ends we decided to just got crazy with shop lighting. I am looking for massive windows for the front (sunny side) though.

Comment

this is what I used on my shed, what I expect to put on my sisters shed, and what I expect to have installed on our house this fall.

Attached Files

Comment

I would also recommend steel.

It's interesting to see polar opposite experiences with Pine needles and asphalt shingles. I built a garage in Stittsville in 1986 and applied 25 year shingles. There was a row of Eastern White Pine on the south-east side of a 35' long roof. In 2008 when I finally had to re-do the roof due to leaks, the side covered by pine needles was like new under the needles, and I mean like brand new !! Everywhere else the UV had destroyed the shingles and the stones had washed off the tar paper in an amazing amount .. probably 25% of the stone was gone on the exposed shingles.

Comment

this is what I used on my shed, what I expect to put on my sisters shed, and what I expect to have installed on our house this fall.
                          Okay yeah, this is what I was picturing. Good to know. This is certainly the direction I am leaning.

Comment

Originally posted by ggwoodsmurf View Post

Okay yeah, this is what I was picturing. Good to know. This is certainly the direction I am leaning.
                            That's what I put on my garage in 2008, on my BIL's house three years ago and on my back deck two years ago. It will be going on my garage here this fall. It will outlast me.

I matched the roof profile when I built the deck :

Last edited by John Bartley; 08-11-2019, 11:02 AM.

Comment

If you go the board and batten look, there is a mill on the Belmore line County rd 12, north of Wroxeter that mills wide pine boards for just that purpose. Run by Christian Brubaker and his father. Sorry, no phone. 90568 county rd 12 well priced and very good quality.
                              The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

Working...
                              X