Divided Shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divided Shop

Hey all - I just moved into a new house and am setting up a new garage shop. Its a 2 car garage, however the deal is I need to keep my wife's vintage car in the garage. In my old shop I built walls around it to keep dust off, but I was wondering if there were some other solutions?

I essentially want to divide the garage in half and keep the dust off the car. I guess so far I have just build some walls around the car?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks as usual!

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Divided Shop

Are you looking for a hard divider or a soft divider? You can go with a soft divider that will give you extra room when the vintage car is not in its packing spot. Good quality heavy canvas works good. Permanently attach to the full length of the ceiling with nicely installed battens. Sew a full length batten into the bottom for weight and a close fit to the floor. With a few pulleys and ropes you can set up a rope system to raise and lower as needed.

Its a soft divider so if your table saw throws a section of board through the canvas and damages that vintage beauty, you might not be allowed a shop again .

Comment

I have a vintage car in my shop I just use a car cover works great.
      Jerome
      Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
      Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

One of these from Costco maybe ??, should fit inside .

Click image for larger version  Name:	imageService.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	17.6 KB ID:	1250692

Have fun and take care
        Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

I did see those portable garages - the only downside is the ceilings in my new shop are only 8 feet tall and most of those are 8 feet tall - and I have a garage opener - otherwise it would be the most ideal solution for me - I cant seem to find one under 8 feet!

I think the soft divider is the way to go - I really like that idea!

Comment

Originally posted by AJ_Pauls View Post
            I did see those portable garages - the only downside is the ceilings in my new shop are only 8 feet tall and most of those are 8 feet tall - and I have a garage opener - otherwise it would be the most ideal solution for me - I cant seem to find one under 8 feet!

I think the soft divider is the way to go - I really like that idea!
            Tarps are cheap -- a few 2x4s upright and a couple across the top @ 6' high and tarp it in. Maybe 15 - 2x4s or whatever and 3 or 4 small tarps for a total of $40.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post

Tarps are cheap -- a few 2x4s upright and a couple across the top @ 6' high and tarp it in. Maybe 15 - 2x4s or whatever and 3 or 4 small tarps for a total of $40.
              Sorry for this off topic question- how cheap are 2x4s and tarps in Calgary?? Genuine question. 2x4x8 is $3+ last time I wandered through Rona. Is lumber a lot cheaper in Calgary?

Also just a thought on keeping the car clean, the roll up wall seems cool. I’m told proper dust collection could help keep essential 100% of the visible dust away but I haven’t been able to test that theory yet. I would think some form of physical barrier, whether solid or soft, would also help with potential dings, etc. from swinging boards and the like.

Comment

I can buy $2 --2x4s and tarps for $3 at the liquidators and if needed could always rip the 2x4s down to 2 x 2s just to hold a tarp up. If AJ needs any help --he knows where I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post
                  I can buy $2 --2x4s and tarps for $3 at the liquidators and if needed could always rip the 2x4s down to 2 x 2s just to hold a tarp up. If AJ needs any help --he knows where I am.
                  Fair enough!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice! Im working on some tarps as we speak!

Comment

You can also get wheel dollys that allow you to move the car right up against a wall giving you even more space.

https://www.amazon.ca/Heavy-Automoti...73335339&psc=1
                      Steve The Drill Sergeant
                      Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

BTDT - you are going in the right direction with soft cover. Forget hard structure. But, as Steph. says, watch out for help with potential dings, etc. from swinging boards and the like. If you intend to start a serious work session with big stuff, expect to move the vehicle out of the way! Keep the driveway clear.
                        Start slow; wind down gracefully
                        woodbilder@mac.com

Comment

Working...
                        X