Renovating Old Garage to a Power Tools Shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renovating Old Garage to a Power Tools Shop

I am still plowing along setting up my timber frame as a hand tool shop and display area.

It dawned on me a couple of weeks back that as the old 12X16 garage is already insulated... and as I had already installed gas lines to heat both the garage and the Timber Frame...and I was able to buy a High Efficiency Gas Furnace here on the Swap Meet... that I had all of the ingredients to set up my power tools in the garage!

So then I started to put together a plan and I ripped out the old drywall and put in a vinyl plank floor. Already I have moved out three quarters of what was in there. On Friday, we are getting new windows and I will be installing my old upper windows in the garage.

I found some oak paneling, an oak door, some glazed read oak upper cabinets and I'm re-working the electrical/lighting now. I managed to get my bandsaw, and jointer up and running. I will have the 220 in place for the tablesaw this weekend.

So far, it looks like this.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage - After Floor - 1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	1257617Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage - After Floor - 2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	1257618
    WCraig and beachburl like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Renovating Old Garage to a Power Tools Shop

Looking good so far! Took me a minute to remember that this is a garage thread after I seen those beavers!

Looks spacious for 12x16, at least compared to my 10x14 shed Im fixing up to be a shop as well. I couldn't imagine having my 4200 set up in there.

Comment

I'll be following along.
      Jerome
      Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
      Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

With the 4200, I have it on a Shop Fox base. I also made felt pads for the bases of all my Beaver stuff so it slides around ok on the vinyl. Here is a picture of the exterior of the garage - it allows me to open the one wall of the shop and roll dust-makers outside: Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1257658

Comment

The Timber Frame is for cool old stuff; hand work; getting guys together for various demonstrations, etc.:

Name:	Timber Frame - 11-Aug-2019.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	1257660

Name:	Timber Frame - 10-April-2019.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	1257661
          WCraig likes this.

Comment

I am hoping to have the heating system up in the next couple of weeks – thanks again Jerome…

Last week, I picked up a DeWalt DW735 Thickness Planer and will put it on the bench behind the table saw. I will also cut down one set of end legs of this bench (a kitchen prep table I bought at a yard sale for $20) to the height of the 4200. I will put locking wheels on the other end – giving me a moveable outfeed table.

Another thing I am considering is that when I reclaim the second floor vinyl windows (30X45) from my house later this week, I will place the lower edge of the opening just below my table saw height. The edge of my wall is only 84” or so off the floor anyway. This might give me a winter-time outfeed in a desperate situation.

Name:	House Front Small.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1257668
            I ended up finding my LV Router table in one of the sheds this weekend. In order to store it, I am considering putting the 3800 Jointer fence on the stand and making a table top to fit the Jointer's surface, so I can store the LV Router.

I managed to pick up some oak cabinets and 12-2 BX last weekend on Kijiji. Will be great for storage.

Name:	Cabinets in Shop.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	1257669

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X