Plywood Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plywood Storage

Trying to figure out my new shop set up. Shop is 24x26. What do you all use for easy access to plywood but out of the way for big and medium pieces.

Sure wish I could get the initial set up started without everything crammed in it. Including my snowmobile and other things.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Plywood Storage

Sheet goods storage is a tough cookie, indeed!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Planer small.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1257905

My shop arrangement for storing these isn't ideal by a long shot. As you can see if you look closely in the above photo, what I do is store them by standing them on their 4' ends, with the first sheet about 3" from the wall. This angle keeps them from falling down.

The advantage of this method is that it minimizes the amount of floor space being used. However, the significant disadvantages to this method are: the difficulty in pulling out one sheet (the one you want seems to always be at the back!); and, because they're on a slight angle, there will always be a certain amount of warpage caused by this method. Further, when I get a few new sheets, there's no easy way to slide them into a logical location. That results in them being laid against the last sheet.

I know that I need to build a new storage rack that'll fit into that same area, but right into the corner (right now it's about 2' away from the back (left side in the photo) that'll have the following features:
    1. a base of melamine, sized approximately 4' deep (depth of the sheet goods) X 3'. That would allow the sheets to slide out more easily;
    2. a few dividers (I am thinking of having four), attached to the ceiling and back of the wall. These would not only give me the ability to place similar pieces together (such as cut-offs...), but they'd be more vertically oriented, minimizing warpage.

Then, and this is something that would immensely enhance my working with sheet goods, especially now that I'm getting up in age (and less able to handle these heavy sheet goods by myself), would be to make a task-designed cart to help move these sheet goods around to shop, and which pivots to lay down full sheets onto the table saw or whatever machine I'm using to work with them.

Please share what you eventually come up with!
    All the best,

Marty

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

Marty, that's been my method for awhile. Just lean the sheets somewhere against the wall. Normally they got covered up by other objects as well making it even harder to get at. New shop has two entry doors, 2 garage doors, 2 windows on the back wall and a wood stove.

Comment

In my shop build thread, near the end, I built some organizers to hold sheet goods and lumber. Pics and description here: https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...502#post822502

Just realized it's been 4 years since I built those. Probably time to clean out the dust...
        scroudt likes this.
        Mark Kornell, Kornell Wood Design

Comment

For years I used the lean against the wall method. I just got so tired of the warping though, it got really unacceptable. One day it a fit of frustration I grabbed a bunch of 2x4 and slammed together a 4x8 frame, and screwed some 4" casters to the bottom. Then I played all the ply flat on it. So on the one hand it take up a massive foot print in my shop - the full 4x8 - but on the other hand I can move it out of my way easily whenever I need. Most important thing - it's flat!
          scroudt likes this.

Comment

Name:	E5511D5E-813A-423D-B02C-A71AA7B311C6.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	1258017

If leaning against the wall you need support behind the sheets. I have something similiar to the sketch. I can stack a lift of 40 sheets against the wall and not worry about warping. Would take a pic but it is covered with plywood. I also have a metal rack that they stand upright but seldom use it.
            Brian
            Attached Files
            If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post

Name:	E5511D5E-813A-423D-B02C-A71AA7B311C6.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	1258017

If leaning against the wall you need support behind the sheets. I have something similiar to the sketch. I can stack a lift of 40 sheets against the wall and not worry about warping. Would take a pic but it is covered with plywood. I also have a metal rack that they stand upright but seldom use it.
              Brian
              Smart way to prevent warping.

Comment

Working...
              X