Table saw stand / adjustable legs using turnbuckles / and new guy intro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table saw stand / adjustable legs using turnbuckles / and new guy intro

This is my first post to the forum. Been a casual DIY’r for awhile, but in the last few years have built up a shop (aka backyard garage). So from Toronto, hello from Matt!

Onto my question!
    Building a height adjustable cabinet for my table saw/router table. And came across this great instructable for making adjustable legs:

https://cdn.instructables.com/FYU/LT...me=1&width=320

While looking at hardware for the piston/ adjuster bolt situation, I came across turnbuckles and thought they would be perfect for this use. However, I know that they’re meant to be used for tightening lines etc, but does anyone know how they would handle a vertical load (say total weight of table is 500lbs) and still be able to adjust when under load?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Table saw stand / adjustable legs using turnbuckles / and new guy intro

Welcome to the forum, can't answer your question based on the info supplied, can you post a link to the full article? Assume you adjust the height by turning the bolt so you just need a threaded insert in the upper block and an attachment to the block with the wheel that allows the bolt to turn freely and move the piston block up and down as the end of the bolt rises and falls. That detail is likely similar to the attachment used in shop made bar clamps. Can't see why you would need a turnbuckle.

Comment

Yes exactly.
      Here’s the link. I like the turnbuckle idea as I think they’re easy to adjust from where they’ll be on the leg.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Hei...eed-Worktable/

But the more I look at the design and although a great idea, I might just go with some collapsing wheels - I’ve seen this in another project - and independent levelling feet.

Comment

This whole notion is ill conceived for a workbench. The purpose of having a good bench is so you can securely support stock while it is being worked. That means it will be subject to some pretty high racking and pounding forces. Casters, even if locked will stand up poorly to both. Much better to install some heavy duty levelling feet & then some casters the lower down & jack up the bench for mobility. Something like this:

Edit: I should clarify that my comment above was more directed at the general quality of Instructables articles. Any article I've read on that site has something fundamentally wrong with it.
        Last edited by drzaius; 01-16-2020, 07:43 PM.

Comment

The height adjusting feature might be useful for solid legs (no casters) provided the movable portion was securely boxed in. If you need to (also) move the whole thing around, use retractable casters as shown. A support table, router table, or assembly table doesn't need the rigidity a workbench does (especially if using hand tools).

Comment

https://www.homedepot.com/s/adjustab...20table?NCNI-5

was in a HD store in the US today. I was quite impressed how easy the raise and lower with just one handle. Not sure how you intend to use them. I am sure you could get them in Buffalo.
            Brian
            If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Just to clarify this is not a full on workbench it’s a table saw/router table cabinet I’m building. I DO plan on making a heavy duty workbench from some oak I have eventually.

The reason I need adjustability, is that my old garage floor is very uneven, in fact in a span of say 6 feet there could be a difference of 2 inches maybe more from level. So each leg needs to be independent in adjustment

Here’s what I’ve opted to do(from shopnotes #no 50 vol 9):

Comment

Do you need mobility? If not I'd just avoid wheels entirely. Even then, I value stability over mobility...My old basement floor was very uneven and trying to use a mobile base and leveling feet was fussy and not very stable.

I think the best/easiest/cheapest solution with an uneven floor is to just use some plywood or boards and level it out that way.

smallerstick likes this.

Comment

Absolutely has to be mobile.
                  I found this really cool DIY adjustable foot

https://pin.it/wmsfqyz2erj4ma

Comment

Working...
                  X