Basement Shop Renovation - Progress Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basement Shop Renovation - Progress Thread

I am moving my shop from a small room in the basement to a basement space that is ~3 times as large (approx. 400 sqft). I am not sure if there is interest in this, but in this thread, I will post some pics to show the progress. Initially, the small space worked fine since I used mostly hand tools, but I've started to go down the slippery slope of power tools as well so I could use some more space.

The new space had a 5'x9' pool table in it that came with the house, but we never really used it. So after selling it last weekend, I started straight away with ripping the carpet out and putting in Dricore. I have Dricore in the rest of the basement as well (including the gym with a 700 lbs squat rack) and I really like it. I have no truck so using full OSB sheets always requires me to rent something... the Dricore I can easily fit 400sqft in my car. I got a good deal at Lowes and I ended up paying $1.25 / sqft for it. I will just use the Dricore as my main workshop flooring unless I come across some cheap laminate.

The idea is to use the corner space of the shop (next to the fireplace, which is functional btw but probably will not be used) for my hand tool workbench. There is a cabinet that came with the house that is built of 4" beams (I agree - slightly overbuilt) that will make a nice display for my planes and other hand tools. The rest of the space will be used for power tools, with eventually a cabinet saw and a large assembly table in the middle, but I have not really started thinking about that area yet.

UpperCanadaGuitars, Allegrus and 5 others like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Basement Shop Renovation - Progress Thread

I'd like to see how you get it set up! I too use my basement as a shop and maybe I'll get some ideas from you.

Even though buying power tools is a fun slippery slope, too many will make you shop less usefull. I've crowded mine.

Also a fan installed in front of that window might be nice for dust removal. I screwed a bathroom fan to a piece of plywood that wedges in one of my windows and it works well.
    Last edited by Beaverfever1988; 02-10-2020, 10:18 AM.

Comment

I'm also in a basement shop. Just a word of warning. It can cause problems when your significant other asks you to go get something from the basement and you don't come back for 45 minutes because you got distracted

Mine is also mostly hand tool orientated but have a lathe and a bandsaw down there too. Planer and table saw live in the garage but don't get used that much.

Comment

Very interesting, I also have a basement shop.

I wish mine had a fireplace to dispose of the evidence...............Rod.
        Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

I'm envious of that fireplace corner. What a great little spot for a handtool bench. Looking forward to seeing how this project unfolds.
          The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

You THINK you won't use that fireplace but ...

Joking aside, I would love a wood burning stove in my basement shop. Free heat, get rid of scrap and hide my failures all at once

Comment

Suggestion - make sure you sort out dust collection and electrical runs sooner rather than later. I had a basement shop with power tools in my previous house, but didn't appreciate how much dust (and noise) I was generating until I actually started to do so.

I also discovered pretty late that my 1950's bungalow basement had one 110v circuit supplying half the basement. Lots of receptacles, one 15A circuit. Turns out that the lights, the chest freezer, shop vac, and table saw didn't like sharing.

Also, I had a similar 'sunshine ceiling' with florescent tubes that I managed to catch while moving a board around. I was finding little curved pieces of white glass for the next month.

Comment

I'd lose that sunshine ceiling in a hurry & put in a bunch of those LED wafer fixtures. They only protrude from the ceiling about 1/2 an inch and the light spreads out much better than recessed pot lights. It will involve some cutting of the drywall to fish the wiring in, but that old DIY ceiling texture is not exactly worth preserving.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I am also super excited about the project.

Originally posted by Dave in Edmonton View Post
                  Suggestion - make sure you sort out dust collection and electrical runs sooner rather than later. I had a basement shop with power tools in my previous house, but didn't appreciate how much dust (and noise) I was generating until I actually started to do so.

I also discovered pretty late that my 1950's bungalow basement had one 110v circuit supplying half the basement. Lots of receptacles, one 15A circuit. Turns out that the lights, the chest freezer, shop vac, and table saw didn't like sharing.

Also, I had a similar 'sunshine ceiling' with florescent tubes that I managed to catch while moving a board around. I was finding little curved pieces of white glass for the next month.
                  Thanks, I am planning on getting a dust collector this afternoon and will have the electrical runs checked out soon. I don't have a table saw (for now) but once I get one I will probably get an extra 220v line.

Comment

Originally posted by drzaius View Post
                    I'd lose that sunshine ceiling in a hurry & put in a bunch of those LED wafer fixtures. They only protrude from the ceiling about 1/2 an inch and the light spreads out much better than recessed pot lights. It will involve some cutting of the drywall to fish the wiring in, but that old DIY ceiling texture is not exactly worth preserving.
                    Yeah, they are on the list of needing replacement. I was thinking of getting these https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07JVXLQ8R/...v_ov_lig_dp_it
                    I never heard about the LED wafer fixtures. Will check them out.

Comment

I was planning on getting the Craftex CX404 dust collector, but it is sold out and after a bit more reading I fear that I will regret the purchase. I guess I'll use my shopvac and dust deputy for now until I have a 220v hookup... It is not super urgent since I don't have that many powertools yet, but any other suggestions in terms of dust collection? I was looking to spend max $300 but I am not sure if this is realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by corpaul View Post

Yeah, they are on the list of needing replacement. I was thinking of getting these https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07JVXLQ8R/...v_ov_lig_dp_it
                        Those would be a great choice as well. The price is really good.

Comment

Just to add 2cents, I have a basement shop as well. Very small. I had one area that was always dark, but as the ceiling there dropped 12" due to a duct, I could never find a suitable lighting solution. Earlier this winter I got some LED strip lights off Amazon, 5 meters of 120 LED/metre, and stuck it to the ceiling there and WOW, does it work well. All for about $35.

Just something to consider.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry in Fort Sask, AB View Post
                            Just to add 2cents, I have a basement shop as well. Very small. I had one area that was always dark, but as the ceiling there dropped 12" due to a duct, I could never find a suitable lighting solution. Earlier this winter I got some LED strip lights off Amazon, 5 meters of 120 LED/metre, and stuck it to the ceiling there and WOW, does it work well. All for about $35.

Just something to consider.
                            Thanks, the ceiling height is actually not really an issue for me. I think it looks lower than it is in the pictures. I will just remove the wooden 'box' around the fluorescent bulbs and replace them across the ceiling with LEDs. The bulbs are currently centered where the pool table used to be. I might put some of the LED strips in the hand tool cabinet at some point though..

Comment

I was planning on getting the Craftex CX404 dust collector, but it is sold out and after a bit more reading I fear that I will regret the purchase. I guess I'll use my shopvac and dust deputy for now until I have a 220v hookup... It is not super urgent since I don't have that many powertools yet, but any other suggestions in terms of dust collection? I was looking to spend max $300 but I am not sure if this is realistic.
                              That will get you a used one from kijiji.
                              2 or 3 hp
                              You can always upgrade to a cyclone later.

Plan on upgrading the filter asap (but since you don’t have anything set up yet I’m guessing you won’t be using it right away).

You can get 4” metal duct cheaply... a lot of mine came from the restore and scrap metal bins.

Nathan

Comment

Working...
                              X