Basement Shop Renovation - Progress Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Basement Shop Renovation - Progress Thread

Hung some wall cabinets over the weekend.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Glass doors can be a blessing and a curse makes it easy to see where things are but easy to see how messy they are.
      Jerome
      Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
      Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
        Glass doors can be a blessing and a curse makes it easy to see where things are but easy to see how messy they are.
        I agree, I plan to put some cabinets with solid doors on the other side of the shop ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
          They are a good motivation to keep your shop neat, which helps with productivity and lowers your blood pressure>>>Rod.
          Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Originally posted by corpaul View Post
            Hung some wall cabinets over the weekend.
            Looks good, having enough storage keeps your shop neat and organized..........Rod
            Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Did some small things in the shop but the move to working from home has not made me very productive shop-wise. Also we adopted a shop dog from the rescue last week who has been keeping us awake and very busy - meet Baycon. So not much shop time.
              djnelson and nnieman like this.

Comment

A long overdue update! The dog is taking up a ton of time but I get some stuff done in quiet moments (which are not many).
                I replaced the fluorescent light 'island' with 8ft LED lights. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. It is brighter than outside. I really love being in the shop right now, I expect it will be even better in our long and dark winters.

I am also working on getting 220V into the shop so I can put a good table saw and dust collection there.

The mitre station is almost done. I plan on putting the saw between the cabinets and put a big gulp collector below it so that will hopefully catch some of the dust in addition to the saw's dust attachment. I am currently debating whether to keep my Ryobi 10" or sell it and get a 10" slider. Any suggestions welcome. I considered getting a 12" slider but it is just too large to justify.
                nnieman and Jerome like this.

Comment

Lookin gooder.
                  Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                  'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                  "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Looks good
                    What about a 12” non slider?

I find they are cheaper, more accurate and do everything I need them to do.

I have a dewalt and an older rigid.
                    I prefer the dewalt because it double bevel but the old rigid as have a 2 1/2” dust port.

Nathan
                    corpaul likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by nnieman View Post
                      Looks good
                      What about a 12” non slider?
                      That is a good option too. I was thinking to go 10" slider because then I could reuse the blades with a future table saw. That said I have not invested much in blades currently so I am not really locked in yet.

Now if only that stupid Bosch Glide 12" goes on sale considerably all my problems are solved.
                      nnieman likes this.

Comment

Nice job !! I had a Ridgid 10" single bevel non-slider. I sold it to go to a double bevel slider and I wouldn't go back, but I wasn't up against a wall.

Have you considered the Bosch with the hinge instead of the slider? I don't know anything about them except what I have read.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post
                          Nice job !! I had a Ridgid 10" single bevel non-slider. I sold it to go to a double bevel slider and I wouldn't go back, but I wasn't up against a wall.

Have you considered the Bosch with the hinge instead of the slider? I don't know anything about them except what I have read.
                          I did, that is the Bosch Glide. The advantage of the Bosch Glide is also that the dust collection port is on the side of the hinge rather than behind it. So it saves a lot of space.

But it is currently ~$700 and I am not sure I want to spend that amount on a miter saw that I do not really need right now ;)
                          Or at least I want to spend it on dust collection and the electricity stuff first.

I'll probably hang on to the Ryobi for a while until a good deal comes by.

Comment

Originally posted by corpaul View Post

That is a good option too. I was thinking to go 10" slider because then I could reuse the blades with a future table saw. That said I have not invested much in blades currently so I am not really locked in yet.

Now if only that stupid Bosch Glide 12" goes on sale considerably all my problems are solved.
                            I find that I don’t really switch chop saw blades that often.
                            I use a combo blade on the table saw & sometimes a rip blade.
                            I also have a melamine blade if I need it.

Nathan

Comment

^^^^ I agree I hardly ever change blades on the "chop saw" but I am amazed how much I use it most cross cuts are made on it. I have an old DeWalt 12" slider and I think I can cut 16" and 5" height.
                              Jerome
                              Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                              Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

Good point. I have to admit that I tend to overthink things and delay a decision. For example I am now concerned about missing out on cutting capacity while I might rarely actually need it. Either way most sliders (aside from the Bosch Glide) are way too big for the space. From what I've seen so far is that 10" and 12" sliders are not that different in size. So I may end up just getting a nice 12" non-slider when I come across a good deal.

I make the same mistake with going down the rabbit hole of dust collection every time I look at it. It is giving me nightmares I sort of delayed the decision because I didn't have the electrical capacity yet but since this is (hopefully) changing soon I need to start thinking about it again.

Comment

Working...
                                X