Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• corpaul
    replied
    I had our electrical subpanel upgraded this morning.. so now at least I have room for (several) extra breakers for 220/240V outlets. Next step is to actually put in the outlets and buy the equipment...

Leave a comment:

• corpaul
    replied
    Originally posted by drzaius View Post
    I'd say everything about that Bosch is miles ahead of anything Ryobi. I'm not knocking Ryobi; their tools offer a fantastic value for what they are, a low end home handy person item that is not used heavily. They just are nowhere near the quality of the higher end brands.
    I agree, not comparable at all. Very happy with the upgrade. If anyone is interested btw the saw is now on sale at Lowe's again for $599, including two extra blades.

Leave a comment:

• drzaius
    replied
    I'd say everything about that Bosch is miles ahead of anything Ryobi. I'm not knocking Ryobi; their tools offer a fantastic value for what they are, a low end home handy person item that is not used heavily. They just are nowhere near the quality of the higher end brands.

Leave a comment:

• corpaul
    replied
    Finished (for now) the miter saw station for my new Bosch Glide saw. Dust collection is reasonable for now, at least it is miles ahead of my old Ryobi saw.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• corpaul
    replied
    Originally posted by altiplano View Post
    Last time I tried to get the price match +10% from Lowe's on a Rona item, they wouldn't give me the 10%, said Rona wasn't a competitor, it was their "sister store".
    Did you not say in that case they should get their stuff together and carry the same prices period ;) I was actually surprised how easy the price match went, given that the saw was already sold out for a while on the Rona website and in all nearby store locations.

Leave a comment:

• altiplano
    replied
    Originally posted by corpaul View Post
    I went ahead and bit the bullet and picked up a Bosch 12" glide yesterday evening. It was on sale at Rona and I took their folder to Lowe's for a price match + additional 10% off. So I feel I got a pretty good deal.

I'm actually very excited about setting it up this weekend
    Right on! Enjoy.

Last time I tried to get the price match +10% from Lowe's on a Rona item, they wouldn't give me the 10%, said Rona wasn't a competitor, it was their "sister store".

Leave a comment:

• corpaul
    replied
    I went ahead and bit the bullet and picked up a Bosch 12" glide yesterday evening. It was on sale at Rona and I took their folder to Lowe's for a price match + additional 10% off. So I feel I got a pretty good deal.

I'm actually very excited about setting it up this weekend

Leave a comment:

• altiplano
    replied
    I have a 10" Bosch glide (50% off CT a while back). It replaced a 12" Ridgid slider.

It's a more accurate saw in my experience and putting it right against the wall is great. DC is better...

I had a nice 10" crosscut blade I got with my first tablesaw and never really used that I put on it, and it works great. I don't ever switch blades though so I wouldn't make that a deciding factor.

10" capacity is lots for me... don't often cross cut thicker than 4" lumber.

Leave a comment:

• corpaul
    replied
    Good point. I have to admit that I tend to overthink things and delay a decision. For example I am now concerned about missing out on cutting capacity while I might rarely actually need it. Either way most sliders (aside from the Bosch Glide) are way too big for the space. From what I've seen so far is that 10" and 12" sliders are not that different in size. So I may end up just getting a nice 12" non-slider when I come across a good deal.

I make the same mistake with going down the rabbit hole of dust collection every time I look at it. It is giving me nightmares I sort of delayed the decision because I didn't have the electrical capacity yet but since this is (hopefully) changing soon I need to start thinking about it again.

Leave a comment:

• Jerome
    replied
    ^^^^ I agree I hardly ever change blades on the "chop saw" but I am amazed how much I use it most cross cuts are made on it. I have an old DeWalt 12" slider and I think I can cut 16" and 5" height.

Leave a comment:

• nnieman
    replied
    Originally posted by corpaul View Post

That is a good option too. I was thinking to go 10" slider because then I could reuse the blades with a future table saw. That said I have not invested much in blades currently so I am not really locked in yet.

Now if only that stupid Bosch Glide 12" goes on sale considerably all my problems are solved.
    I find that I don’t really switch chop saw blades that often.
    I use a combo blade on the table saw & sometimes a rip blade.
    I also have a melamine blade if I need it.

Nathan

Leave a comment:

• corpaul
    replied
    Originally posted by John Bartley View Post
    Nice job !! I had a Ridgid 10" single bevel non-slider. I sold it to go to a double bevel slider and I wouldn't go back, but I wasn't up against a wall.

Have you considered the Bosch with the hinge instead of the slider? I don't know anything about them except what I have read.
    I did, that is the Bosch Glide. The advantage of the Bosch Glide is also that the dust collection port is on the side of the hinge rather than behind it. So it saves a lot of space.

But it is currently ~$700 and I am not sure I want to spend that amount on a miter saw that I do not really need right now ;)
    Or at least I want to spend it on dust collection and the electricity stuff first.

I'll probably hang on to the Ryobi for a while until a good deal comes by.

Leave a comment:

• John Bartley
    replied
    Nice job !! I had a Ridgid 10" single bevel non-slider. I sold it to go to a double bevel slider and I wouldn't go back, but I wasn't up against a wall.

Have you considered the Bosch with the hinge instead of the slider? I don't know anything about them except what I have read.

Leave a comment:

• corpaul
    replied
    Originally posted by nnieman View Post
    Looks good
    What about a 12” non slider?
    That is a good option too. I was thinking to go 10" slider because then I could reuse the blades with a future table saw. That said I have not invested much in blades currently so I am not really locked in yet.

Now if only that stupid Bosch Glide 12" goes on sale considerably all my problems are solved.

Leave a comment:

• nnieman
    replied
    Looks good
    What about a 12” non slider?

I find they are cheaper, more accurate and do everything I need them to do.

I have a dewalt and an older rigid.
    I prefer the dewalt because it double bevel but the old rigid as have a 2 1/2” dust port.

Nathan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X