• Show
Clear All

• Rod Sheridan
    replied
    I use my Ipad

Leave a comment:

• Doug G
    replied
    Thought Id give an update, I downloaded a digital clock on my old cell phone, set the display to stay on all the time and plugged phone into a charger. Works great, here's a picture of the set up. I can also use the OK or Hey Google commands to play music, set timers etc. hands free. Also have a Bluetooth speaker paired with it to play music.  

Leave a comment:

• MartyFromKingston
    replied
    I use my iPhone's Siri and have it set timers for me all the time.   Voice activated and when mated with my ISOtunes earphones, I've also got me hearing protection covered!

Leave a comment:

• corpaul
    replied
    If you want to go for a modern look, you could consider a gym countdown timer (also called a 'crossfit timer')  https://www.amazon.ca/Pellor-Fitness...dp/B07GKRDQVZ/

I use one of these in my gym for interval training. They are really useful if the countdown functionality is important for you, and also very easy to see from far away. Make sure to read reviews on Amazon for them since they are of varying quality. I can't find the exact model that I bought anymore, sorry.  

Plus you can do pushups while waiting for your glue to dry.

Leave a comment:

• Doug G
    replied
    Seems like only Jim is going "high tech" , need to find the charger for my old phone and I'll try it for a while as a voice controlled clock/timer.  

Leave a comment:

• beachburl
    replied
    I have a "Mastercraft sawblade clock" I received some time in the curtained off lathe area. I put batteries in it when they no longer work in remotes, etc, as there's always some power left.
    I have a clock radio I sometimes use, when I'm in the 10x10 shop.
    I have an old bbq thermometer timer clock I use when I'm putting in my earplugs. I think they're the original batteries

Leave a comment:

• drzaius
    replied
    Originally posted by Doug G View Post
    I need a clock in my shop since I don't always wear my watch and I was thinking it should be dual purpose and also be a timer for timing glue-up clamp times or recoat times for spray finishes etc. One thing I tried as a timer was my phone using the "OK Google" command to set a timer. That got me thinking that the ideal shop clock/timer would be one that is voice activated so you can ask for the time to be announced or set a timer. I might try an old cell phone plugged in permanently but wondering if anyone has another solution?
    I have an old phone that is plugged into an old stereo for shop music. I'll have to try using it for a timer. Thanks for the idea.

Leave a comment:

• mike66
    replied
    As I am not the music officianado that some are on this forum, I just have a digital clock radio that has an alarm clock on it that I can set if I need to.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Roy in Thunder Bay
    replied
    I’m like Billy above with a barrel operated wall mounted clock.  To match the decor, a daughter bought me one with a tablesaw blade face, and a hammer and a square as the arms.  Two AA batteries last at least a year,     Roy

Leave a comment:

• billh
    replied
    I just have a cheap battery operated clock on the wall. I take a mental note of time when I finish a task that requires timing and that's about it. None of the tasks you mentioned require split-second timing. When I want to know the time I just look at, no need for any type of commands to get the data.
    billh

Leave a comment:

• Kayak Jim
    replied
    My sister gave me Alexa for Christmas and about the only thing I use her/it for is to check the time and set timers.   Maybe the weather now and then.

Leave a comment:

• Doug G
    started a topic Shop Clock/Timer

Shop Clock/Timer

I need a clock in my shop since I don't always wear my watch and I was thinking it should be dual purpose and also be a timer for timing glue-up clamp times or recoat times for spray finishes etc. One thing I tried as a timer was my phone using the "OK Google" command to set a timer. That got me thinking that the ideal shop clock/timer would be one that is voice activated so you can ask for the time to be announced or set a timer.   I might try an old cell phone plugged in permanently but wondering if anyone has another solution?  
Working...
X