Sliding Table Saw in One Car Garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sliding Table Saw in One Car Garage

As luck would have it, 3 months after I sell all my stationary tools due to my in-laws downsizing, I purchase a house that has room for all of them. Poor timing, but I am exciting about the fact of getting a bigger workspace and searching for all new tools. My current space is a 5'x 10' corner of the utility room in a rental house, enough room for two benches and my cabinet saw. I'll be moving to a one car garage.

I previously had the standard, jointer, planer, bandsaw and cabinet saw. I think going forward I will get a jointer/planer combo machine and I'm leaning towards a sliding table saw. That being said, I don't know too much about sliders. I will mostly make furniture from solid wood, so I'm thinking a slider with 48" capacity will cover 95% of my needs and my understanding is I can use a slider like a cabinet saw when I need to rip over 48".

Previously, I used my workbench as an outfeed table for my cabinet saw, it saved space having the bench right behind the saw and was functional as well. It seems that sliders don't need an outfeed, would putting my bench behind the slider get in the way? I guess what I'm asking is how you guys with sliding table saws layout your shop? If you have pictures to share that would be great, as well as general slider advice and even advice using one in a small space?

I'm still 2 months away from moving, but I enjoy planning and am obviously excited. Any feedback is much appreciated!

Craig
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Sliding Table Saw in One Car Garage

You will need some kind of outfeed with a slider, even a small one. Particularly if you do any ripping. Using your bench as an outfeed could work well. It would have to be placed so the sliding table can slide past.

A 4' slider is on the small side, but definitely usable. If you use 5x5 sheets of Baltic birch plywood, a 5' slider is a good idea.
    Mark Kornell, Kornell Wood Design

Comment

Originally posted by nugsthecat View Post
      I will mostly make furniture from solid wood, so I'm thinking a slider with 48" capacity will cover 95% of my needs and my understanding is I can use a slider like a cabinet saw when I need to rip over 48".
      Just to be clear, You can use the slider to 'rip', but it's more akin to jointing an edge. You should be ripping with the fence when you wish create a parallel edge to the previously jointed edge.

Previously, I used my workbench as an outfeed table for my cabinet saw, it saved space having the bench right behind the saw and was functional as well. It seems that sliders don't need an outfeed, would putting my bench behind the slider get in the way? I guess what I'm asking is how you guys with sliding table saws layout your shop? If you have pictures to share that would be great, as well as general slider advice and even advice using one in a small space?
      You still should have an outfeed table for ripping with the fence. The outfeed table cannot be behind the slider, so it may not need to be necessarily wide. You may wish to make the table only as wide as the fence can rip, or even less, since you're not using sheet goods.

Outfeed tables are great opportunities to create needed storage in small spaces. I'm redesigning mine to have a lot of drawers.

Comment

As luck would have it, 3 months after I sell all my stationary tools due to my in-laws downsizing, I purchase a house that has room for all of them. Poor timing, but I am exciting about the fact of getting a bigger workspace and searching for all new tools. My current space is a 5'x 10' corner of the utility room in a rental house, enough room for two benches and my cabinet saw. I'll be moving to a one car garage.

I previously had the standard, jointer, planer, bandsaw and cabinet saw. I think going forward I will get a jointer/planer combo machine and I'm leaning towards a sliding table saw. That being said, I don't know too much about sliders. I will mostly make furniture from solid wood, so I'm thinking a slider with 48" capacity will cover 95% of my needs and my understanding is I can use a slider like a cabinet saw when I need to rip over 48".

I'm still 2 months away from moving, but I enjoy planning and am obviously excited. Any feedback is much appreciated!

Craig
        Have a look at the videos in the link I posted below. The will give you a very good understanding of how a slider works.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCln..._QnboGQ/videos

Comment

People must be on vacation so I can chime in, but I've been using my slider in a big one-car garage until recently My experience is limited because I did not have enough room at all in the garage for my 8' slider, with all the other stuff that went in and out of there, so I mostly used it like a cabinet saw. Right now I'm still settling up the slider in my woodworking shop; I use it, but my experience is still limited. I need at least ten feet wide with the mitre gauge not fully extended (six feet capacity). Extended, that goes up to a whopping 12 feet, and I only have about 32" rip capacity to the right of the blade. Then if I want to move around my shop without ducking under the mitre gauge/outrigger table, I need at least two or three feet more. I imagine a smaller saw will have a smaller mitre gauge, but just the sliding table with no outrigger to the end of the fence takes around 5'. As far as length goes, I need 18 feet, so I assume a 5' slider will require around 12 feet (no idea if this is accurate). Most sliders come with a small outfeed table, but you can put something behind the saw to the right of the blade (anything to the left of the blade will interfere with the sliding table). I have my jointer/planer there (it's just a bit lower than the table of the saw, and I can move it if need be). Ripping goes well on the sliding table with a Fritz and Franz jig (usually no need to rip like on a cabinet saw). You won't need to edge joint much anymore either.

I'd like to give you pics of the whole shop setup, but it's a mess right now, I'm still doing my ducting, wiring, and finishing some of the walls. I will basically have to stow the outrigger on one of the walls when not in use (it is very easy to take off and put back on), and my benches etc. (the kids have benches too) will all be permanently out of the way. One thing I can say is that a slider will probably take up more space than you think. When things are too tight it becomes a pain to get anything done efficiently.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8982.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	368.3 KB
ID:	1290663
          Frank
          SPCHT

Comment

Thanks for the input guys and the picture is especially appreciated. This really clarifies the need for an outfeed I wasn't sure how people generally set things up with need for clearance at the sliding table.

I have watched some videos and I liked the idea of using a Fritz and Franz for doing regular rips. It sounds like I'll really need to go check some sliders out in person to really see what kind of clearances they need and compare it to my new space. Part of me wonders how much ripping space I'd need to the right of the blade, I only have about 12" now so 36" seems like so much! Frank, can you operate the slider when the outrigger is removed? Does the mitre fence go with it?

Part of the thought process for a sliding saw is the safety, my wife says she wants me to get a sawstop, but I'm trying to sell her on the safer design of a slider.

Comment

Part of me wonders how much ripping space I'd need to the right of the blade, I only have about 12" now so 36" seems like so much! Frank, can you operate the slider when the outrigger is removed? Does the mitre fence go with it?

Part of the thought process for a sliding saw is the safety, my wife says she wants me to get a sawstop, but I'm trying to sell her on the safer design of a slider.
              It's funny because i went through the same process...sold my General 650 when I moved to a place with a tiny shop, then I moved to the country with a lot more space and thought of getting a Saw Stop, which led me to a slider. I bought it mostly for the increased safety of almost never having to put my fingers near the blade and eliminating the possibility of kickback, but it is such a pleasure to use compared to a cabinet saw that I wouldn't go back unless I really had to. I can use the saw when the outrigger is removed, but the mitre fence is attached to the outrigger. Most Fritz and Franz jigs need to rest on the mitre fence to remain square and in place, but you can make one with a clamp for the slot (or make a smaller stop/fence that locks in the slot).
              Frank
              SPCHT

Comment

Craig,

I'd suggest you get in touch with Rod Sheridan, as he has a slider and lives in Toronto.   Knowing Rod, he'd be more than glad to talk to you about his experiences.   PM him if he doesn't respond to your thread.
                All the best,

Marty

- Instagram: @apexwoodworks
                - facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Apex-Woodwo...0243458908979/

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

give DGB_WAT  a PM, he has a pretty amazing basement shop setup that makes great use of a K3. Rod Sheridan  has one as well!

i'll probably end up with one some day but i haven't been in the shop in months... we had our second child in august and with two kids under 3 there's very little shop time these days!

Comment

Hi Craig, stuff always works out that way doesn’t it?

I have a Hammer B3 Winner with the 49” sliding table and approximately 31” rip capacity.

I also have the outrigger with the precision mitre index system and mobility kit.

Since the B3 has the tilting spindle, 4 speed shaper, I also have a stock feeder on a flip up bracket, obviously it also has the sliding table which is great for coping or tenoning.

Having the shaper in the saw reduces the cost and use of shop space.

The machine is fairly compact mine is 51” deep X 50” wide, the outrigger is normally hanging on the wall, it takes 2 minutes without tools for installation.

I can’t say enough about how much capability, capacity, and accuracy in such a compact package.

You’re welcome to come over and use it, or the J/P.......Regards, Rod
                    Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone, sounds like I may be able to make it work, but I'll have to spend some time in my new shop space. Non-shop related storage seems to always make its way into the shop/garage so I need to assess that first.

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
                      Hi Craig, stuff always works out that way doesn’t it?

I have a Hammer B3 Winner with the 49” sliding table and approximately 31” rip capacity.

I also have the outrigger with the precision mitre index system and mobility kit.

Since the B3 has the tilting spindle, 4 speed shaper, I also have a stock feeder on a flip up bracket, obviously it also has the sliding table which is great for coping or tenoning.

Having the shaper in the saw reduces the cost and use of shop space.

The machine is fairly compact mine is 51” deep X 50” wide, the outrigger is normally hanging on the wall, it takes 2 minutes without tools for installation.

I can’t say enough about how much capability, capacity, and accuracy in such a compact package.

You’re welcome to come over and use it, or the J/P.......Regards, Rod
                      Thanks for the offer Rod, I'll reach out likely in the Fall to come check out your setup.

Craig

Comment

Non-shop related storage seems to always make its way into the shop/garage so I need to assess that first.
                        Amen... if you want to share notes, let me know - i'm trying to compress our storage into a 2.5" x 12' wall, so that i don't have to section off a separate 6' x 12' storage room

Comment

Working...
                        X