No announcement yet.

Removing PSA Glue Residue from Sanders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing PSA Glue Residue from Sanders?

I'm really a metalworker but joined because I sometimes have wood-related questions. I posted this same question on my metal working forum but didn't get any successful answers, so thought I would try here.
    I have a large Kalamazoo 20" disk sander for metalwork. Ever since I bought it I struggle with removal of the glue residue from PSA disks. I have tried everything I can think of: Goof-Off, Acetone, Xylene, mineral spirits, alcohol, scrapping, heat guns, all to no avail.

Does anyone have any other suggestions. I've heard the one about putting the platen in the freezer, but mine is a 20" disk and even if it would fit my wife would hate me. I shouldn't have to remove it from the machine just to change a silly disk.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sander.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	645.8 KB
ID:	1290726

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Removing PSA Glue Residue from Sanders?

Don’t know if this is a good idea, but I’ll suggest it anyway.  Burn it off using a propane or butane torch.
    Measure twice, cut once ... and if that doesn't work try again

Comment

I'm certain that would work, you're right. However, it's a $3000 machine and I don't want to risk warping it. I've heard there are chemicals used in the automotive industry that can remove this easily, just searching for this now.

Comment

With my cheapy BusyBee sander I just held a sanding block gently against the disc until it was clean, but ....... it wasn't a $3k machine.

Comment

I have used goof off (lighter fluid in a more expensive tin) to soften it then a scraper to remove it. I power it up and then turn it off and use the end of the run down to scrape with a sharpened putty knife. I would be surprised if 3M did not have a purpose cleaner.
          Rob

Comment

I’ve always used mineral spirits and elbow grease. Acetone as well I think.
            Cheers
            Randy

Comment

Get yourself a small can of Lacquer thinners from HD and wipe that stuff off very easily.  

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post
                Get yourself a small can of Lacquer thinners from HD and wipe that stuff off very easily.
                You beat me to it Wally. Yes that will do it for sure.
                Wally in Calgary likes this.

Comment

Do not use solvents. The residue from the solvent will eat into the next disc you put on and make the problem worse. We sell 3M adhesive remover for this application. There are other brands available.
                  Mark
                  www.masterfinishing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by master finishing View Post
                    Do not use solvents. The residue from the solvent will eat into the next disc you put on and make the problem worse. We sell 3M adhesive remover for this application. There are other brands available.
                    I would argue with this. Of course, if you leave solvent on the disc, it will cause problems, but it's an easy matter to clean & dry the solvent off. Even if a slow drying solvent is used for adhesive removal, a wipe with acetone after will remove all traces.
                    Wally in Calgary and Kayak Jim like this.

Comment

Solvents are how people remove the adhesive residue. How are you removing the acetone residue or any other solvent? I have been calling on professional woodworking and metalworking shops for 20 years and my answer is from years of solving this problem. There are many different types and grades of adhesives which react differently. Heat of course is a huge factor which effects adhesive transfer. The OP is doing metal not wood, so typically much higher heat. I would suggest looking for 3M brand discs as 3M has the best adhesives (they make their own) so this many help to eliminate your issue.

Adhesive remover will work every time and will not leave a residue that will effect the next disc. I know of no other solvent or product that I can say the same thing of. I have sold hundreds of cans of this product for this application to the point we included it with customers setting up disc or orbital sanders using PSA.
                      scooby074 likes this.
                      Mark
                      www.masterfinishing.ca

Comment

Get   the right stuff, 3m Adhesive remover.

3M makes the best paper its all I use.

Agree with Mark 100%
                        Last edited by scooby074; 07-20-2020, 03:42 PM.

Comment

If it’s the industrial 3M adhesive remover I have used before, the stuff isn’t cheap.  
                          sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

My concern has always been the aftermath of what one uses.   So many suggestions in the past work fine right away, but are nasty for affecting the braise on carbon adhered teeth to the blade.

Our beloved Mack in Brooklyn, god rest his soul, turned me on to using Arm & Hammer Washing Soda on this forum many years ago.   Yes, not baking soda, but a wash soda meant as a laundry additive.   Mix this in water, let your pitched up and crudy blade rest in it for a while, and voila!   It is clean.   A box of it, if you can find it, is dirt cheap and will last you decades for most of us.   I had to bite my pride and find it in WallyMart.   I held my nose doing it and dressed up as Mister Rogers going there and paid cash! Don't tell anybody I went into a WallyMart please.   D'Oh...my secrets out!

https://www.armandhammer.com/en-ca/l...ergent-booster
                            Kevin

Comment

I usually find that for my 12" disc sander soaking is the way to go with mineral spirits. I don't remove the disc either as that would be an ordeal so I take a largish block of wood like a 4x4 and wet a rag folded into a square pad several layers thick and put it between the end of the wood and the platter. A quick clamp may be needed to hold it tight. Leave if for a while and then take the wood away and rub off the softened goo. Repeat in the next area. If mineral spirits doesn't work then do the same with Acetone or your next favourite solvent. Once clean I wipe several times with acetone but you could use a water based degreaser or brake cleaner if you prefer. My sander spins at 1760 rpm so might not get as hot as your big sander.

Pete  

Dang now I'm getting the stupid cryptic symbols.

Comment

Working...
                              X