Anybody tried these lights in a shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody tried these lights in a shop?

Been looking at LED shop lighting and have noticed this type of light which seems to be new. They seem to be known as deformable LED garage lights. Does anyone have any experience with them as opposed to the 4ft LED strip lights? Seems like the individual panels might be useful in directing light to where you need it most.

Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	1290999

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/as-...8547?rrec=true  

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07VG5R2KN/...NsaWNrPXRydWU=  
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Anybody tried these lights in a shop?

I saw those a while back.   Was it an infomercial?   Seemed kinda gimmicky to me at the time.
    Andre Beaudette likes this.
    Kevin

Comment

I was thinking of using them in a different room. I see a lot of them are motion sensor and I was wondering if they wood be like some of the yard lights that go out or dim if motion isn't detected if you are in one spot for a period of time.  
      Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

Probably a good option to really crank up the brightness in an older garage with a single bulb receptacle in the middle.   It's still a fairly localized light source vs 4 ft strips which are more diffuse.

Comment

I tried one in my shop and was entirely unhappy with it.   It does light up a large area but the light is not suitable for working IMO.   I very quickly went with the 4' LED lights and have been really pleased with the performance. I ended up using 14 of the LED strips for a 16 x 22 shop, the other 2 are in our laundry room   ---- my wife is just delighted with the improvement.
            If you want to try the 3 winged thing, I'll send you mine; it's sitting in a corner of my shop somewhere. lol
          The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

Hmm, kind of as I suspected. I have two 4ft LED strips so far to augment the light in my basement shop and very happy with them. I am looking at going all LED in the new shop, but was wondering if the winged lights might be good for task lighting over a bench/table saw. Think I will stick with the 4 ft strips. That being said, any one have any opinions on the various brands of 4ft LED strips? I've looked at the ones at Costco "Koda" but don't think I want to mess with remotes or motion sensors for shop lighting. Like I said, I like the ones I have so far, but no recollection where I got them; APX brand, all aluminum body with plastic end caps and a single strip of LEDs.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I based my upgrade on a video I watched from Art Mulder    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTBX9bBZTpI   He used a package of LEDs from Amazon which were very reasonably priced and very effective.   I did the same thing --- same result.   I think they were about $60 for a package of 8 fixtures with all accessories, plugs, pigtails to join the fixtures and mounting clips.   I would do the same thing again in a heartbeat.

Personally, I would not use the winged things for anything except garage or attic area lighting. Task lighting is best done with LED strips IMO
              Last edited by smallerstick; 07-22-2020, 08:44 AM.
              The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

I have 4 of the winged things (The Amazon Choice ones for 2 for $45ish) in my garage. They work better than the 4 100watt bulbs I had. Before that I had 2 100watt bulbs and 2 of the   2x4ft LED strips. They also work better than that setup.

https://www.amazon.ca/Garage-Lights-.../dp/B0861WGJ6J

Comment

Working...
                X