Pine boards on the wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pine boards on the wall

Hi , I am renovating my shop & was planing on putting some pine boards on the wall over top of the vapor barrier. A friend told me he did this & later had to remove a board only to find mold on the back of the board.To prevent this I was given an idea of painting the back of the boards or strappng over the vapor barrier & then attaching the boards. Got any ideas?  Much appreciated .  Thanks
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Pine boards on the wall

Strapping first would certainly improve air circulation if you left a gap top and bottom.

Comment

Presumably the mold resulted from moisture loss out the back of the boards and getting trapped between the two touching surfaces.  Horizontal strapping would give you an airspace but still nowhere for the moisture to go, maybe resulting in mold / rot at the nailing lines.  I wonder if a rainscreen-type product like the mesh sold by Keene would do the trick.  It works wonderfully behind an exterior wood cladding.  If memory serves it's typically 1/2" thick and comes with or without a breathable backing, but I believe 1/4" is also available.

Comment

Of course if you nail slats to the studs (vertically on top of the vapor barrier) you will have a channel behind the boards to let the air move and keep things dry.

Opening top and bottom would help the airflow if that is needed.

Have fun and take care
        Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Leave the boards in the shop over the winter to acclimatize and dry out and put them on in the spring.
          Was your friend's shop heated all the time or only when he used it? if not heated all the time condensation would be an issue.
          Last edited by Jerome; 09-07-2020, 05:33 AM.
          Scott Walsh likes this.
          Jerome
          Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
          Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

Properly dried lumber should be no problem. This will also avoid shrinking of the lumber and leaving a gap between the boards
            smallerstick and iamtooler like this.
            Bob just past Ayr

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
              Of course if you nail slats to the studs (vertically on top of the vapor barrier) you will have a channel behind the boards to let the air move and keep things dry.

Opening top and bottom would help the airflow if that is needed.
              Yup, I agree with the slats idea.

I did something like this when I redid the roof on my garage with steel. I l strapped vertically first to create an air space from bottom to top, then strapped horizontally to provide a place for the screws and to support the steel, then put on the steel.  On a sunny day you can dry your hair in the convection breeze coming out the top of the ribs of the steel sheets.

Comment

Slats will work with green lumber but as Bob stated if the lumber was dry you wouldn’t need them. If you are looking for pine boards Levi Miller on Maple Dell road near Norwich has a sawmill and saws mostly pine. Bought some clear pine the other day for $1.35 a bd ft. I checked the moisture content and it was all 10 to 12%. It is air dried. As he saws it is all stickered and stacked in widths 6 ,8 , 10 and 12. The knotty pine is $1 a bd ft. The clear is random width and length. No connection with this mill other than a long time client

Brian
                Last edited by Brian @ Muir; 09-07-2020, 09:44 AM.
                If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

What I was thinking, as we don't know how well the shop is insulated, that there could be condensation at times, even if the wood he uses is dry, and then the air-channels would prevent this from happening, it was just a thought and I did not mention that in my first reply.

Have fun and take care
                  Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Thanks for all of the input ! My shop is heated about 60 degrees all winter. I am planing on installing a mini split heat \ac for year round comfort. I wish I had gone that extra step of getting  it in a kiln but was not thinking. I did buy it from another Miller down  near Norwich. I guess I will let it acclimatise in the shop & then strap over the vapor barrier.  Thanks again

Comment

This is exactly the way i did the metal roofs i have done over the years. 

Comment

Working...
                      X