Clear All

• Does your shop apron do this?

Does your shop apron do this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010023.JPG
Views:	537
Size:	964.8 KB
ID:	1347632
    Photo no 1. Stock LV shop apron with age and washing related curled corners. I understand that this is from using a polyester edge banding on a canvas apron. A good wooddorker analogy would be gluing a 7% MC wenge skirt to a 14% MC red oak table top then wondering why the edges are no longer flush six months later…

Overall, I like this apron. I particularly like that you access the big pockets only from the side and this does not allow the pockets to fill up with dust or chips while working with a tablesaw, router, drillpress or other machines.
    I tend towards minimalism with what I carry in my apron; a 16’ tape, pencil sharpener, white eraser and maybe a small square of rag. This all fits easily in the bottom pockets. In the upper pocket; both a long and short HB pencil, a sharpie, a chalk pencil and a triangle of tailors chalk. Both the chalk pencil and tailors chalk are new forms of chalk to me.
    I have used “school” chalk for years when laying out on rough material and while I am happy with the price and like the wide easy to see lines it leaves on rough material, I have grown frustrated with the extreme/continual breakage rate of the “sticks” and am now experimenting with the two other types of chalk. I am leaning towards the tailor type of chalk as it is easier to make a fat line with and so far it seems much more durable than the school chalk. I am interested in any user experience any of you care to share about your experiences with either the chalk pencil or tailor types of chalk.
    I will occasionally put a small plane or layout tool in one of the lower pockets but try to avoid it. To my mind that sort of thing belongs on the bench.

Name:	P1010033.JPG
Views:	506
Size:	948.2 KB
ID:	1347631
    Photo no 2. Repaired shop apron, no more curl! Items on lower pockets; 16’ tape, white eraser and pencil sharpener would normally be inside the pockets. If I stick with the chalk pencil I will end up needing a two hole pencil sharpener as the chalk pencil is larger in diameter than a regular pencil. Upper pocket has a short pencil, tailor chalk (triangular above pocket), chalk pencil in new pocket, sharpie, and a long pencil. The green edge banding seems to have held up just fine between the belt and the shoulder straps, so I have left the apron “stock” in that area.

But back to the apron. After the last wash I was going to have my wife repair the start of a hole in the pocket that the tape lives in and I asked her about getting rid of the curl noticeable in photo 1 at the same time. She easily (funny how easy things always seem when done by someone else…) ripped off the old green poly edge banding below the harness area and simply hemmed the existing canvas edge with itself. Now the apron lays flat and I no longer have the sides of the apron snagging on tablesaw fences, vise handles, clamps, material, etc.
    Much to my wife’s pleasure, and my dismay, I donated my oldest pair of Carhartts to the cause and used the fabric from the back of one of the legs, about the only part without holes, for the extra layer of fabric over the existing pocket. The bulk of the pocket patch was simple machine work for her, although the top seam required a hand stitched finish due to limitations of machine. The last renovation to the face side was an additional pencil pocket in case the chalk pencil becomes my new choice. Last but not least, I also had the harness system revised to get rid of those awkward to adjust pull through buckles on the shoulder straps, see Photo no 3.

Name:	P1010002 (2).JPG
Views:	426
Size:	942.6 KB
ID:	1347633
    photo no 3.

The two other items I like to have with me in the shop are reading glasses and an Olfa knife. I typically wear Carhartts when in the shop and keep a pair of readers in the tool pocket on the left leg and an Olfa knife in the tool pocket on the right leg.
    Really nice not to have the “curl” snagging on things anymore, and all of the other work was a big bonus. Big thanks to Kathryn for the work she put into this. I wish I would have brought this in for repair a long time ago. As someone who makes, modifies and adjusts so many other tools, jigs, etc. it is ironic just how long I let this go.
    Cheers,
    Mark
    KenL likes this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Does your shop apron do this?

Not sure what is more shocking, that you wash your apron or that your wife repaired it.. I'm still waiting for my lovely wife to alter the pajamas she bought me last Christmas so I can wear them.

Just checked my apron, same as yours but no curl, course it's never been washed.
    Les Groeller, Randy in Calgary and 2 others like this.

Comment

Doug G Easier to learn to operate the sewing machine! I have a couple, I don't even have to go buy the PJs anymore, I just keep a stock of suitable fabric and a pattern that has been adjusted for me, and I make a new pair as needed!

cmzinbc Nice to see others doing their own repairs and alternations, especially in this disposable world!

Comment

I've had 3 of those exact aprons. They all wore out on me. Fabric just wore right out, had frayed holes here and there.

I never washed any of them, so I never experienced the curling you describe.

I like LV, I do, even if they didnt give me credit for the idea of the lee valley branded bottle opener that I sent them once upon a time and then, co-incidence i'm sure, appeared in their catalog a year later. So I do like LV, but I gave up on their apron and, after a recomendation ina thread here, bought this heavy duty waxed canvas apron off amazon:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B074D3GZFD/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

It was a bit stiff when new, but after a year and a half now it is showing zero signs of ware. It is a really quality made apron, and I have grown to prefer how it ties. No cheap plastic clips to come undone on you.

I'm glad you were able to repair your lv apron. I like the stewardship that shows. I once had a thread about how I spent an hour replacing the batteries in a cheap crappy tire palm driver, and many said then that the tool wasnt worth repairing, but to me it wasnt worth throwing out either. So I like that you fixed it. But I dont feel bad about giving up on mine and buying what I believe is a better apron.

I still wear a LV cap in the shop in any case.
        ThePracticalPeasant likes this.

Comment

It sounds like I am in a distinct minority group here as one who actually washes their apron. To be honest it doesn’t happen all that often, but I think of it as regular maintenance just like sharpening a chisel.
          Ryan/callee, that is an interesting apron you linked to and the price looks reasonable as well. The price of the haircut and tattoos to go with said apron however would end up putting it well out of my budget.
          Cheers,
          Mark

Comment

I too like Lee Valley, a lot. But they do need to up their apron game. I got a heavy waxed canvas apron from Amazon for under $50 & it beats the pants off of the Lee Valley apron it replaced, which cost over $70. I've never yet washed an apron.

Comment

Originally posted by callee View Post
              I've had 3 of those exact aprons. They all wore out on me. Fabric just wore right out, had frayed holes here and there.

I never washed any of them, so I never experienced the curling you describe.

I like LV, I do, even if they didnt give me credit for the idea of the lee valley branded bottle opener that I sent them once upon a time and then, co-incidence i'm sure, appeared in their catalog a year later. So I do like LV, but I gave up on their apron and, after a recomendation ina thread here, bought this heavy duty waxed canvas apron off amazon:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B074D3GZFD/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

It was a bit stiff when new, but after a year and a half now it is showing zero signs of ware. It is a really quality made apron, and I have grown to prefer how it ties. No cheap plastic clips to come undone on you.

I'm glad you were able to repair your lv apron. I like the stewardship that shows. I once had a thread about how I spent an hour replacing the batteries in a cheap crappy tire palm driver, and many said then that the tool wasnt worth repairing, but to me it wasnt worth throwing out either. So I like that you fixed it. But I dont feel bad about giving up on mine and buying what I believe is a better apron.

I still wear a LV cap in the shop in any case.
              Do you find the lower pockets fill up with sawdust on the apron you linked? I remember seeing those aprons posted here before.

I have the black version of the LV apron now. It seems a little heavier material than the tan coloured ones I’ve had before, but I still managed to wear holes in it.
              As far as washing, I have a feeling I shouldn’t even ask about that.

Name:	44B3EA2D-0D6A-4D84-99BF-E9F42662F7EA.jpeg
Views:	355
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	1347819
              Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

Originally posted by mikeddd View Post

Do you find the lower pockets fill up with sawdust on the apron you linked? I remember seeing those aprons posted here before.

I have the black version of the LV apron now. It seems a little heavier material than the tan coloured ones I’ve had before, but I still managed to wear holes in it.
                As far as washing, I have a feeling I shouldn’t even ask about that.

Name:	44B3EA2D-0D6A-4D84-99BF-E9F42662F7EA.jpeg
Views:	355
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	1347819
                I had the black one first, and when it wore out, to their credit, LV sent me a replacement. When that wore out, I just bought a new one, but I went for the tan one. It seemed to wear out just as fast as the black, I really didnt notice a difference.

I do get some sawdust in the pockets of the amazon one, but not that much. I've emptied it once in the last year and a half.

Comment

frank/drz:
                  I agree, LV could do better on the apron end of things. I had a look at everything they offer, and nothing really seems to stand out for me. As much as I like heavy duty stuff their $250.00 apron looks like it is really more of a fashion or wealth statement than something one would wear to work in. As for the more down to earth LV options, both the deluxe black and everyday brown models, you, mikeddd and callee all seem to agree that they both wear out at about the same rate. Maybe LV should upgrade to a heavier grade of canvas.
                  Having just repaired my trusty old apron I don't need a new one right away, but it sounds like I should start looking now for a replacement that works for me.
                  Mark

Comment

Does anyone use a leather apron?

Comment

Originally posted by cmzinbc View Post
                      frank/drz:
                      I agree, LV could do better on the apron end of things. I had a look at everything they offer, and nothing really seems to stand out for me. As much as I like heavy duty stuff their $250.00 apron looks like it is really more of a fashion or wealth statement than something one would wear to work in. As for the more down to earth LV options, both the deluxe black and everyday brown models, you, mikeddd and callee all seem to agree that they both wear out at about the same rate. Maybe LV should upgrade to a heavier grade of canvas.
                      Having just repaired my trusty old apron I don't need a new one right away, but it sounds like I should start looking now for a replacement that works for me.
                      Mark
                      That $250 apron looks no better than any number on Amazon that are well under $100.

Comment

PP,
                        I haven’t seen a leather apron being worn in a shop since the 80’s. Back then the aprons were quite a bit simpler with little more in the way of options than a pencil holder. I would be interested in a decent leather apron but would like to have it with the extra vertical pockets and hence double front similar to the current LV brown apron. Let me know if you or someone you know is a leather worker.
                        Frank/drz
                        somebody must be buying those things, obviously not you and I! I agree that it is a ridiculous price for a denim apron with leather pockets.
                        Mark

Comment

PP,
                          I haven’t seen a leather apron being worn in a shop since the 80’s. Back then the aprons were quite a bit simpler with little more in the way of options than a pencil holder. I would be interested in a decent leather apron but would like to have it with the extra vertical pockets and hence double front similar to the current LV brown apron. Let me know if you or someone you know is a leather worker.
                          Frank/drz
                          somebody must be buying those things, obviously not you and I! I agree that it is a ridiculous price for a denim apron with leather pockets.
                          Mark
                          I can most definitely put you in touch with a leather-worker.
                          Though, I expect that custom made would be pricey...
                          Though, looking at the prices of some non-leather ones posted in this thread...
                          Also, I can imagine that leather pockets would behave/perform differently than canvas ones.
                          This should be considered, especially considering your comment about what aprons used to be.

I'm not practiced enough with leather to consider selling leather goods;
                          I had however considered making myself one, I have a nice suede split kicking around that might serve the purpose...
                          My concern is regarding weight. An apron the size of a typical shop apron, out of leather heavy enough to hold pockets to shape, be durable, etc, will have significant more weight than a waxed canvas apron...

---

Regarding the discussion on overpriced "cheap" aprons: Am I out of line to point out the differences between the promotional photos for them vs say "Tough Duck" brand workwear? Perhaps, many of these products found on Amazon are targeting a specific type of consumer. For $250, we can do/find better. Someone is selling aprons to guys in sawmills, they're not unlike metal working aprons, etc... Sometimes the "fixes everything" home-gamer part is $25 at Depot and the professional fix is not only in the Grainger catalogue, but it often costs less. We may be searching in the wrong places for what we actually want.

Comment

PP,
                            Interesting thoughts on the leather option. Good point on the weight as it would be a concern, particularly if pockets were added.
                            Durability, weight, comfort, convenience and price. This is starting to sound like the quest for the holy grail. Ideally LV or some other maker will rise to these challenges.
                            I would be quite happy with something like the LV brown model in a slightly heavier/stronger grade of canvas which seems like a simple enough thing to make, at least to me. Perhaps rather than looking for an apron I should start shopping for fabric.
                            Mark

Comment

PP,
                              I would be quite happy with something like the LV brown model in a slightly heavier/stronger grade of canvas which seems like a simple enough thing to make, at least to me. Perhaps rather than looking for an apron I should start shopping for fabric.
                              Well, I had a few minutes during my rounds today and was able to stop in at a local fabric supplier. They had a near-white finely woven canvas at $22/m that looked quite similar to aprons I've seen for sale. Wanting to avoid such a light colour and products that folks have already tried, I settled on some real denim (not that stretchy stuff one sees nowadays) and some coarser woven canvas (that might turn out to hold dust/chips). We shall see what I can come up with...

Tough to get a good picture of the weave... Shop-Cat thinks he's helping...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fabric.png Views:	0 Size:	939.8 KB ID:	1348358

And now a slight thread hijack, hopefully nobody minds...

The biggest question, what features do we want in an apron? Width/length (perhaps, anyone who replies include a note regarding their body shape)? How many pockets, their sizes, as well as location? Where should the ties be, keeping in mind that ties might impact access to pockets or provide stability when working with loaded pockets. Where have past aprons failed? What do you tend to have in the pockets?

*** I have enough for a few tries from each fabric - I'll offer (shipped/free) a copy of the most successful apron to whichever forum member provides (what turns out to be) the most valuable suggestions/feedback, or I'll draw names if I get a lot of responses.

GO!

Last edited by ThePracticalPeasant; 11-20-2021, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X