Does your shop apron do this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does your shop apron do this?

Sounds to me like you need to buy yourself a vintage Singer sewing machine and get to work doing your own alterations, Doug...

Originally posted by Doug G View Post
    Not sure what is more shocking, that you wash your apron or that your wife repaired it.. I'm still waiting for my lovely wife to alter the pajamas she bought me last Christmas so I can wear them.

Just checked my apron, same as yours but no curl, course it's never been washed.
    All the best,

Marty

- Instagram: @apexwoodworks
    - facebook page
    - YouTube Channel

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc.

My goal is not to be better than anyone else. My goal is to be better than I used to be.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Just thought that I'd throw a monkey wrench into this thread (now that it seems to be running out of steam...) and state that I long ago gave up on aprons. I wear what is actually an electrician's tool pouch on my right hip, which has served me very well. It carries all the things I deem necessary to carry on my person: my folding wooden ruler, carpenter's pencil, .05mm mechanical pencil, two small metal rulers (one square and in mms, the other a 6" straight on in inches), a marking knife, a piece of wax to lube hand plane soles and of course, an eraser. Perhaps I should move this to a new thread. Thoughts?
      ThePracticalPeasant likes this.
      All the best,

Marty

- facebook page
      - YouTube Channel

My goal is not to be better than anyone else. My goal is to be better than I used to be.

Comment

Marty,
        I would call the electrical pouch approach a “Half Normer,” as it sounds quite similar to what I remember seeing Norm from the Yankee carpenter TV show wear. IIRC he wore a classic double carpenters pouches, for a “Full Normer.” For full points you must speak with a heavy New England accent and smile at the camera...
        For me a pouch would be way to catchy; hooking on saw fences, vise handles, knobs, etc. Happy that it works for you though and expect it will outlast most aprons to boot.
        PP,
        Interesting to hear that you are really running with the canvas on this. I will measure up my existing apron tomorrow and then get back to you with actual and ideal apron dimensions and an updated list of what I carry along with other apron thoughts.
        cheers,
        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ThePracticalPeasant View Post

Well, I had a few minutes during my rounds today and was able to stop in at a local fabric supplier. They had a near-white finely woven canvas at $22/m that looked quite similar to aprons I've seen for sale. Wanting to avoid such a light colour and products that folks have already tried, I settled on some real denim (not that stretchy stuff one sees nowadays) and some coarser woven canvas (that might turn out to hold dust/chips). We shall see what I can come up with...

Tough to get a good picture of the weave... Shop-Cat thinks he's helping...

Click image for larger version Name:	Fabric.png Views:	0 Size:	939.8 KB ID:	1348358

And now a slight thread hijack, hopefully nobody minds...

The biggest question, what features do we want in an apron? Width/length (perhaps, anyone who replies include a note regarding their body shape)? How many pockets, their sizes, as well as location? Where should the ties be, keeping in mind that ties might impact access to pockets or provide stability when working with loaded pockets. Where have past aprons failed? What do you tend to have in the pockets?

*** I have enough for a few tries from each fabric - I'll offer (shipped/free) a copy of the most successful apron to whichever forum member provides (what turns out to be) the most valuable suggestions/feedback, or I'll draw names if I get a lot of responses.

GO!

I think the features I would value most:

- two large pockes down around groin area. This could perhaps be a bank of three pockets, but two would probably be fine. I would like the pockets to have little flaps to cover the openings and keep saw dust out.

- built in metal clips on either side, but probably the right, where I could clip on a tape measure. I would like to carry a tape, but they tend to be too heavy for a pocket and really make it lopsided. The clip would have to be right by where the lower tie attaches, for stability.

- pen and pencil holder pockets up at the top.

- a grommet or clip of some sort near the top to which you can attach the DC remote control.

I think thats the main features i'd look for.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePracticalPeasant View Post

Well, I had a few minutes during my rounds today and was able to stop in at a local fabric supplier. They had a near-white finely woven canvas at $22/m that looked quite similar to aprons I've seen for sale. Wanting to avoid such a light colour and products that folks have already tried, I settled on some real denim (not that stretchy stuff one sees nowadays) and some coarser woven canvas (that might turn out to hold dust/chips). We shall see what I can come up with...

Tough to get a good picture of the weave... Shop-Cat thinks he's helping...

Click image for larger version Name:	Fabric.png Views:	0 Size:	939.8 KB ID:	1348358

And now a slight thread hijack, hopefully nobody minds...

The biggest question, what features do we want in an apron? Width/length (perhaps, anyone who replies include a note regarding their body shape)? How many pockets, their sizes, as well as location? Where should the ties be, keeping in mind that ties might impact access to pockets or provide stability when working with loaded pockets. Where have past aprons failed? What do you tend to have in the pockets?

*** I have enough for a few tries from each fabric - I'll offer (shipped/free) a copy of the most successful apron to whichever forum member provides (what turns out to be) the most valuable suggestions/feedback, or I'll draw names if I get a lot of responses.

GO!

OK, I’m in.

What I like to have in the apron.
            Lower pockets; 16’x3/4” tape in left pocket, pencil sharpener and eraser in right pocket.
            Upper pocket; long HB pencil, sharpie, tailor chalk (flat/triangular), short HB pencil. Occasionally a nail set or punch.
            The two other tools I like to have at hand in the shop are my Olfa knife and reading glasses, and they safely reside in the tool pockets in my Carhartts.

My dims.
            Buck sixty-five, 6’1,” 31” waist, 35” inseam.

Current apron.
            LV basic brown option. The OADs for that apron are about 32” OAH, & 27” OAW. The lower pocket is 16” Tx14” W. (21” from top of lower pocket to bottom of apron.) The pocket has side openings about 8.5” long. Upper pocket 7” OAWx5” high point/2.5 at low point. Harness system is the double cross style.
            This apron fits me just fine.

Apron improvements and changes.
            -As one of the few who washes their apron, once a year or so, I would like to see the same material used to hem the edges of the apron as the apron itself is made of. Don’t edge a 7% mc maple table with 20%mc red oak!
            -Support system. Other than those pull through buckles used to adjust the shoulder straps which I have changed already on my current apron, see my initial post, I am happy with the system.
            -Lower pocket. The large side entry lower pocket is a winner for me, I love the way it keeps the chips out! The weakest point in the LV apron is that the lower pocket fabric is not doubled. I was starting to see a hole develop on the tape measure side of the lower pocket which ended up instigating this thread. Since my apron pocket was repaired I have taken the steel belt hook off of my tape so expect to see this apron last for a good while yet.
            -Upper pocket. One extra pencil pocket slot added on high side, see my initial post. This works fine and still allows room for the flat piece of tailors chalk I like to carry.

I have a preference for an apron that is clean and simple. My shop is small and tight and I don’t want any extra loops or hooks to catch on fences, benches, handles or knobs.

Let me know if you have further questions.
            cheers,
            Mark

Comment

Beginning to think I'm in the minority. I wear no apron at all and instead opt to leave my tools wherever I last used them while I am working on the project. It has served me well to ensure that I get a surprising amount of walking done while in my 400 square foot garage.
              Randy in Calgary, billsm and 3 others like this.
              “By All means read what the experts have to say. Just don’t let it get in the way of your woodworking.” John Brown (1932–2008), Welsh stick chairmaker

Comment

The important take away from this entire thread for me, is that we are all different and there's nothing wrong nor right about anything. If it works for you, then that's great and if you prefer a different approach, well, that's great, too.

As already stated, I have no use for aprons. The pouch system works perfectly for me. To each their own.

Originally posted by Troglodyte View Post
                Beginning to think I'm in the minority. I wear no apron at all and instead opt to leave my tools wherever I last used them while I am working on the project. It has served me well to ensure that I get a surprising amount of walking done while in my 400 square foot garage.
                Troglodyte and LeftFinger like this.
                All the best,

Marty

- facebook page
                - YouTube Channel

Comment

I'm still hung up on the washing an apron
                  That's like washing the old cloth nail aprons we wore 50 or 60 yrs ago
                  I remember somebody on the crew getting laughed at for that one

I guess I should have implied the humor better
                  Last edited by LeftFinger; 11-24-2021, 03:54 PM.

Comment

I guess I see the washing thing differently. As a mechanic the company provided 2 or 3 pairs of coveralls or shop coats a week. If I feel a shop coat, turning smock or cloth apron (if I wore one) was needing a cleaning it would get washed. Same goes for my jeans, the dogs blanket, and the dishtowels. Someone else can enjoy grubby but I prefer clean.

Pete
                    KenL, cmzinbc and Troglodyte like this.

Comment

Hi Marty,
                      sorry if you took offence to my comment about the “half Normer” ^^^, I was trying to add some levity to the thread rather than offend.
                      I really didn’t expect this post to be so contentious... I wholeheartedly agree to your comments that we are all different and am in no way trying to convert you or anyone else to doing things my way.
                      Cheers,
                      Mark

Comment

Originally posted by QC Inspector View Post
                        I guess I see the washing thing differently. As a mechanic the company provided 2 or 3 pairs of coveralls or shop coats a week. If I feel a shop coat, turning smock or cloth apron (if I wore one) was needing a cleaning it would get washed. Same goes for my jeans, the dogs blanket, and the dishtowels. Someone else can enjoy grubby but I prefer clean.

Pete
                        Reminds me of the summer job when I was going to McMaster for my Engineering degree. I worked at Dofasco in the maintenance department, one summer in the bearing shop and three summers in coal handling and coke ovens. I had mixed feelings about Monday and Friday mornings. Friday morning was end of the week looking forward to the weekend but grungiest clothes from a week's work, Monday morning was freshly washed clothes but the start of a work week. After all these years I still remember the different feeling putting on clean work clothes vs filthy ones. That and often showering twice, once at work before changing into street clothes and a second time at home when I realized I was still dirty, steel mills are dirty places to work, especially back then, probably still now. Much prefer sawdust to coal dust.

Comment

What a great thread! I like the serious with the fun, and at the end of it, it's very informative. I have the black LV apron which well when I'm working on flat work, but I say it isn't good for turning at all. It fills with sawdust so fast that I have to take if off. I have had both tan and black and they wear the same.

I am an apron washer....

Thanks again for the thread, it's well worth the read!
                          Lars Olsson

"Why won't this fit together????"

Comment

Originally posted by Doug G View Post

Reminds me of the summer job when I was going to McMaster for my Engineering degree. I worked at Dofasco in the maintenance department, one summer in the bearing shop and three summers in coal handling and coke ovens. I had mixed feelings about Monday and Friday mornings. Friday morning was end of the week looking forward to the weekend but grungiest clothes from a week's work, Monday morning was freshly washed clothes but the start of a work week. After all these years I still remember the different feeling putting on clean work clothes vs filthy ones. That and often showering twice, once at work before changing into street clothes and a second time at home when I realized I was still dirty, steel mills are dirty places to work, especially back then, probably still now. Much prefer sawdust to coal dust.
                            I grew up in hamilton and had several family members who worked in the steel mills. Our first house was in the lower east side in the shadow of the mills, and in the morning you could brush the steel dust off your car with a snow brush! Anyone's guess what our lungs looked like!
                            in school everyone wanted their dad to work at dofasco rather than stelco. Stelco was union, and so every couple years would have to go on strike. Dofasco was clever, and would wait until dofasco signed its latest agreement, then offer all its employees just a little bit better, so as to keep them from wanting to unionise. As a result, come christmas time all the stelco kids would go with their folks to the company christmas party and come home with, for example, a generic FM radio as a gift. Then the dofasco kids would go to their christmas party and come home with sony walkmen! I heard after I moved away both companies got bought up by bigger american or european firms, and in short order dofasco unionised.

Comment

Originally posted by callee View Post

I grew up in hamilton and had several family members who worked in the steel mills. Our first house was in the lower east side in the shadow of the mills, and in the morning you could brush the steel dust off your car with a snow brush! Anyone's guess what our lungs looked like!
                              in school everyone wanted their dad to work at dofasco rather than stelco. Stelco was union, and so every couple years would have to go on strike. Dofasco was clever, and would wait until dofasco signed its latest agreement, then offer all its employees just a little bit better, so as to keep them from wanting to unionise. As a result, come christmas time all the stelco kids would go with their folks to the company christmas party and come home with, for example, a generic FM radio as a gift. Then the dofasco kids would go to their christmas party and come home with sony walkmen! I heard after I moved away both companies got bought up by bigger american or european firms, and in short order dofasco unionised.
                              Yeah, a lot of that dust came from the coke ovens, filthy place to work or live near.
                              I remember the Dofasco Christmas parties, I attended them long before I worked there. My mother was a safety inspector for the department of labour, the first female inspector back in the sixties. We always got an invite to the Dofasco Christmas party including a gift until, if I recall I turned sixteen.
                              When I worked there, I recall talking to guys who had worked at Stelco who said they much preferred Dofasco for some of the reasons you mentioned but also because there was a completely different relationship between labour and management. Much more of a team feeling because they had profit sharing so anything that wasted company money took money out of your profit share.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFromKingston View Post
                                The pouch system works perfectly for me.

Norm!
                                Cheers
                                Randy

Comment

Working...
                                X