Alternative planer sled

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative planer sled

For those of you who do not have a jointer, or would like to joint wood as wide as your planer, I came across this link on the lumberjocks blog thingy:

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/1992

In short, it is a simple setup where you run your router down the piece of wood to joint twice, then attach some small runners, then run it through the planer. It seems a little easier to control compared to a big planer sled to me.

Ian.

Re: Alternative planer sled

That's a pretty slick way of skinning a cat.I've got by in a pinch by using a cast off piece of ply/mdf and hot melt glue for the low spots and then blocking the board in with scraps.One of these days I'll have to make something like this one.
    See ya

Comment

Brilliant.
      J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
      Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Comment

Originally posted by IanW View Post

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/1992

In short, it is a simple setup where you run your router down the piece of wood to joint twice, then attach some small runners, then run it through the planer. It seems a little easier to control compared to a big planer sled to me.
        Ian.
        Sweet setup!

Robin
        "Hope is not a plan"

Comment

I don't have a jointer and have been looking for some sort of planer sled design that was simple. This is quite ingenious and I plan to make one soon. Does anyone know Where I could get a 1.5" straight bit in the Kitchener/Waterloo Area. I've checked Rona and HD, but they only have 1"
          Last edited by Nate042; 06-24-2008, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate042 View Post
            I don't have a jointer and have been looking for some sort of planer sled design that was simple. This is quite ingenious and I plan to make one soon. Does anyone know Where I could get a 1.5" straight bit in the Kitchener/Waterloo Area. I've checked Rona and HD, but they only have 1"
            Hi Nate,

MLCS has one item number 7942. I haven't tried them but they do mail order into Canada.

Good luck,

Al

Comment

Thanks Al,

Two questions then for the forum:

does anyone have any experience ordering from MLCS? I've read excellent reviews on their router bits. I'm wondering after taxes duty and shipping is it worth it?

Would the 1.5" straight bit from leevalley accomplish the same task? I can't see why not but I'm no expert on router bits.

Comment

Lee Valley sells a 1" bottom cleaning bit which I've used with great success in a similar jig (minus the wheels) for surfacing a panel that was too big for my planer.
                Steve
                Richmond, BC

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

Comment

Working...
                X