Heating my garage shop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heating my garage shop

I have cleared it with my local municipality that I can run a natural gas line to my garage to put in a heater. Step one done.

Now the fun part. Trying to find a unit to install. I must be google illiterate as i seem only to be able to find shop sized heaters in the USA or large industral ones here in Canada.

I am looking to keep my 2 car garage toasty warm in winter, and need to find even a manufacturer name so that I can start to source something. Does anyone else out there have a natural gas heater in their shop?

Matt.
    Matt

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Heating my garage shop

I have an old 80,000 btu house furnace to heat 20x 28 area of my attached garage. It was used, cost $700 hooked up. Years ago I had a 30,000 btu gas, hanging Reznor unit heater in a 24x32 unattached garage. It was in the garage when I bought the house. Had no problem heating the garage, even before I added insulation. That garage only had 8 ft ceiling. Princess Auto has a similar one.http://www.princessauto.com/all-seas...as-shop-heater
    sigpic
    hobby woodworking since 1972

Comment

Here's what I have and their contact numbers.

http://www.easyradiantworks.com/heatwave.htm
      "Do it Right!"

Comment

The HVAC company I work for will no longer install radiant heaters in explosive environments (wood dust) due to manufactures recommendations. for a better heat install a wall furnace http://www.empirecomfort.com/EMPIREC...llFurnaces.pdf
        Jerome
        Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
        Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

Jerome can you please give us some backup info on that claim. I have one and I really would like to know my stuff is safe.

Wood dust explosion is not an absolute myth as far as I know but it's damn close to a myth and if something is going to explode I think it might need some sort of flame or spark. Neither of which exist with radiant heat. I have heard comments like yours before but when asked for follow up, I never hear back from the claimants. I know you're not the claimant just the reporter by the way so my comments are certainly not directed your way.

I read your link and some of those units have a pilot light. An open flame! And the company you work for will install these ahead of a radiant heater. Sorry I don't get it.
          "Do it Right!"

Comment

I agree with Rusty. I have two Calcana units - a 10ft in my garage and a 30ft in my shop. Both do a great job and I don't understand there being a hazard. Mine have been running for around 20 years now.

Glenn

Comment

I also use a radiant tube heater from Easy as suggested by Rusty above. I have had the unit for about a decade and used it for several years in a two car garage running off natural gas. When I moved to the country I built a 900+ square foot workshop attached to a two car garage and have the same radiant tube heater. I had it switched to propane and if I open the double doors between the shop and the garage it will heat both really warm and toasty in the middle of the winter near Peterborough. The flame is enclosed and the unit vents through the wall. l would not change it. On their website is video done by John Schloats (sp?) and I saw the show and after researching made the decision to buy it. No regrets from here at all. Hope this helps.

Comment

I forgot to mention mine has been running for 10 years and my dust collection is a shop vac, a festool dust collector and an air cleaner. I've never had a piped unit in the shop. I do have and use a couple of fans on occasion too. OH, and a leaf blower!!
                "Do it Right!"

Comment

I will get more information as soon as I can.
                  From what I recall the danger is over the summer dust collected on the radient pipe the customer turned on the heater in the fall some of the dust caught fire and fell causing an explosion whiche caused more to fall. The manifracture added to their install manual not recommended to be installed in explosive, or dusty enviroments, as the code states that an installer has to follow manufractures instructions we stopped installing them.
                  The wall furnaces are direct vent so the pilot is not exposed to the air in a shop. As for dust buildup on one of these instead of a tube heater being inside a cabinet might help or at least until they have a problem and add the same thing to their literature.
                  Jerome
                  Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                  Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

Thankyou Rusty and Brian for the information. It's good to have some idea as to what I am looking for. I will give Princess Auto a call to see if they have any of those units at either the Mississauga or Hamilton stores. The price is right for me. If not, then I can look into the tube heating.

I am not worried about the place catching on fire from dust buildup in the heater. The whole story about a place catching on fire from dust in the air settling into a heating tube and catching on fire, then falling down and burning the rest of the building. The dust must have been closer to cotton wool, and it must have been in that much abundance to fill the whole tube. I suspect there is a whole lot more to this story that really happened, and this is a case of the US mentality and the manufacturer has put on that warning on the box to CYA from a simple minded jury system. (see the case of the ryobi/sawstop verdict)

matt
                    Matt

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by matt.mackinnon View Post
                      Thankyou Rusty and Brian for the information. It's good to have some idea as to what I am looking for. I will give Princess Auto a call to see if they have any of those units at either the Mississauga or Hamilton stores. The price is right for me. If not, then I can look into the tube heating.

I am not worried about the place catching on fire from dust buildup in the heater. The whole story about a place catching on fire from dust in the air settling into a heating tube and catching on fire, then falling down and burning the rest of the building. The dust must have been closer to cotton wool, and it must have been in that much abundance to fill the whole tube. I suspect there is a whole lot more to this story that really happened, and this is a case of the US mentality and the manufacturer has put on that warning on the box to CYA from a simple minded jury system. (see the case of the ryobi/sawstop verdict)

matt
                      Matt in a radiant "U" shaped tube heater the dust cannot get in the pipe. It is sealed and everything that ignites is inside that heavy pipe. I get dust on top of the shroud/canopy/reflector. but not much on the pipe itself. I blow off the reflector but very seldom do the pipe cause the dust just isn't there and my heater is directly above my table saw with very little dust control as I mentioned before. AT the time of these pics it was winter and I was spraying the ceiling and walls after taping.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2140 (Small).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	870101Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2139 (Small).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	870102Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2142 (Small).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	870103
                      "Do it Right!"

Comment

Have a look at REZNOR flameless.
                        Look here on about page 2
                        http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...ghlight=garage
                        CHEERS
                        Don B

Comment

I gave princess auto a call and they told me that this item is a seasonal item, so there is no stock at any of the stores. They did let me know that they will be getting more of them in the fall time. I might as well just wait for the fall as it's not that I need heat right now, and calling around to the heating/ac dealers in my local area, all of them are wanting $2-3000 for a unit installed. That seemed a little bit high for my likeing, especially if I can get either a used one or a PA model for a fraction of that cost.
                          Matt

Comment

here is a 3 yr old 50,000 btu , asking $500 in London
                            http://woodstock.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and...AdIdZ290584106
                            sigpic
                            hobby woodworking since 1972

Comment

Originally posted by matt.mackinnon View Post
                              I gave princess auto a call and they told me that this item is a seasonal item, so there is no stock at any of the stores. They did let me know that they will be getting more of them in the fall time. I might as well just wait for the fall as it's not that I need heat right now, and calling around to the heating/ac dealers in my local area, all of them are wanting $2-3000 for a unit installed. That seemed a little bit high for my likeing, especially if I can get either a used one or a PA model for a fraction of that cost.
                              Watch out for the enclosed flame. A safety requirement. My full install with a lot of pipe as shown was $1800.

Reznor is considered a high end quality long lasting and safe unit.
                              CHEERS
                              Don B

Comment

Working...
                              X