X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Basement or garage workshop

Originally posted by ArtMulder View Post
    One thing I've always wondered about all you guys with shops in your garage...

How on earth did you bamboozle your wife into going along with that? My wife made it quite clear long ago that she was not going to be scraping snow and ice off the car if she didn't have to, let along unloading groceries in the rain...
    Not so difficult when you tell her that there is nothing worse for the car's body than park it in warm place in winter, if they drop salt on the roads where you live. Scraping the windshield seems like a pleasure compared to fixing rust holes.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

You offer to do it for her and try your hardest to keep your end of the bargain.

P.S. I moved my shop from my basement to the garage---there's no way I would ever consider going back.

Comment

Wife let me have the insulated attached garage for my shop, cars outside. After a decade of trying to live with poor lighting and sharing the space with storage, I cleaned out the garage and turned it into a dedicated shop, added full lighting. Moved storage to a shed What a difference. great place to hang out now. More productive. She surprised me with a new table saw for my birthday. Buddies knew what I had been eyeing. So yes, the wife's support is key. All the dust and noise is outside.

Comment

Well the garage is out for me, there's no way Diann will give up the space her motorcycle occupies.

I like a basement shop, warm. dry, no wood moisture issues, air conditioned in the summer.

As to moving stuff up and down the stairs, come on, it's not like a stairclimber or winch is rocket science, my machinery goes up and down at the push of a button.....Rod.
          Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtMulder View Post
            How on earth did you bamboozle your wife into going along with that? My wife made it quite clear long ago that she was not going to be scraping snow and ice off the car if she didn't have to, let along unloading groceries in the rain...
            I let her use my car which has a remote starter when really cold out, and I just suffer starting up the big ol' diesel for my own use.

I do also move things to allow her to park inside on those rare occasions it drops down around -30C, which was about 4 nights in a row this year.

I have it set up that I can move the larger machines around to give room to park, I just have to give up doing much work myself out there.

No way I would ever give up the 10' ceilings and large open space for using a basement, unless I really had to. Carrying some of the cabinetry built up the stairs and out would be fairly difficult, with the garage you just back up, open the O/H door and load.

If there is no other option than using the basement, of course you can make it work. Some homes (like mine) just would not work as the stairs are in the middle of the home. Any materials and finished product, along with the tools and machinery, would all have to go up a bunch of steps to the door, through the entry, through a wide hallway, turn in the kitchen trying to avoid cabinetry, and then go down the stairs. A bi-level home would be nice though.
            JIM
            Calgary, AB

Comment

Originally posted by gowynw View Post
              You all are missing the biggest motivator...beer fridge is in garage...haha

Excellent points and suggestions, thank you all one and all. I'm going to ride it out, poor me, in the garage for the summer. Yes I'm insulated but there's never too much insulation.

I really should get the electrical sorted too. Anyone know if I can add a 60a subpanel to the main panel which is 100a. Also have a hot tub on there too so not sure if it's getting maxed out. Probably best bet would be too upgrade main panel to 200a ( I'm assuming all new house have heavy enough gauge wire coming in to allow that) and then move the original 100a panel out to the garage

I was already thinking about another shed, for lumber but bikes would work too.

Clint, I'm in London too, would love to check yours out sometime if possible.

Have to go car shopping for the crazy old lady so the remote starter will definitely be added on.

Thanks again.
              Of course, if there's a window in the garage, you 'could' pick up a window mount AC unit...it would help with the heat at least...
              sigpic"Turn it, Don't burn it!"

Comment

There is absolutely no comparison issues that make a basement better than the garage. Heat and insulation are cheap and so are car starters.

I go out first and if there is snow on my truck I clean the truck and her car at the same time. Start it up and let the defrosters do their thing. Canada is a winter country and my wife is a Canadian girl and she ain't scared of scraping a windshield in the driveway or the mall parking lot either.

Production from the shop is income for us but if you enjoy turning or furniture making as a hobby then 1/2 a double should be enough space for you. If you ever get a big project going and need the whole garage and the wife can't agree to park outside for a month then you married the wrong girl.
                "Do it Right!"

Comment

If you are really lucky your wife will build you a three car garage when she is building her shop!
                  When someone tells you it can't be done, it's a reflection of their limitations, not yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Chimera View Post
                    If you are really lucky your wife will build you a three car garage when she is building her shop!
                    Wish I had one like that!!! LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                      Production from the shop is income for us but if you enjoy turning or furniture making as a hobby then 1/2 a double should be enough space for you. If you ever get a big project going and need the whole garage and the wife can't agree to park outside for a month then you married the wrong girl.
                      Just one of the qualities of a good wife.
                      Is this your arrangement, Lisa?
                      JIM
                      Calgary, AB

Comment

yes, a Garage on one side for him, shop on the other side for me...44' x 42' building...we share everything...LOL
                        When someone tells you it can't be done, it's a reflection of their limitations, not yours.

Comment

yes, a Garage on one side for him, shop on the other side for me...44' x 42' building...we share everything...LOL
                          Lisa -- It's been quite a while since you posted any pics of the new shop-- how about some updates for the peeps that haven't seen it???

Comment

I have kept the blog updated to date...Check "Grop" (garage/Shop) under the blog tab...

Comment

Y'know you have a good life when you're intrigued so much by these first world problems. Maybe it's time I donate some $$$ to a charity ;)

I had a choice of basement or garage. I opted for the basement. Most of what I want to build isn't going to cause much issue going up and down stairs. I had considered creating a 5' wide door/window to pass sheet goods down from the sunken garage, I regret not doing that. But other wise, I like the shop in the basement.

Use the garage for cars, garden tools, boat, skis, bikes....

Kevin
                              The more I learn, the better I understand how little I know.

Comment

I have kept the blog updated to date...Check "Grop" (garage/Shop) under the blog tab...
                                I'm not going to admit how long it took me to realize the blogs go from newest to oldest. But it got very confusing at one point. ;)
                                The more I learn, the better I understand how little I know.

Comment

Working...
                                X